1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Don't Panic Button 2024

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ima_drummer2k, Apr 30, 2024.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Positive stats/comments only please.

Our division is shaping up to be the worst division in the AL. Even with our worst start in 55 years, we're still only 6.5 out of first place with 134 games to go. A hot streak this summer puts us right back in the mix.

Altuve is leading the AL in OPS. Tucker is 5th.

Our rotation isn't pitching as bad as it seems. Valdez, Verlander, Javier and Blanco have a combined 7-0 record and 1.83 ERA in 14 starts. The 5th spot is our only issue with Brown, France, Arrighetti and Henley combining for a 9.49 ERA.

2. Radricky

Radricky Member

We are on a two game win streak :)

3. SuraGotMadHops

We've seen the expected formula work...you get a solid start for 5 to 6 innings, then you shorten the game with a beast back end of the bullpen, which is even better now that Montero is looking like the 2022 Montero. As more starters return from injury (Javier, Urquidy), and if just ONE of Brown, Arrighetti, or France can just be serviceable, and the offense can perform the way they were expected to, we can rattle off long win streaks several times over.

We just weren't getting the quality starts we needed due to injury, the back end of the BP was uncharacteristically bad, and 3B and 1B production has been so bad merely turning the lights on will improve things there.

cbass, IdStrosfan, Wulaw Horn and 2 others like this.
  4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

5. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Beating CLE in this series will be huge. Yanier, Pena, and Montero are also off to pretty good starts. Hopefully Altuve, Yordan, and Tucker steal MVP votes from each other when it's all said and done.

MAY will be a good month.

whiskeyred likes this.
  6. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

LFG!

whiskeyred likes this.
  7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Altuve and Tucker playing like MVPs.
    Alvarez, Pena, Diaz, Framber, Javier, Blanco, Verlander playing like All-Stars.
    Caratini exceeding expectations.
    Pressly, Hader, Dubin all with dominant underlying numbers.

Rotation getting healthy which will have a trickle down across the entire pitching staff.

Loperfido could be the answer to the only real issue on offense (1B).

Team still projects for 83 wins despite the 2nd worst start in franchise history.

vince, Houstunna, Radricky and 3 others like this.
  8. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I’m 2 weeks away from hitting the panic button. Need to play at least 500 ball with the tough stretch coming up to stabilize. If we do that then all the stuff we’ve been saying looks like reasons and not rationalizations.

9. Buck Turgidson

I have grown tired of tiresome sportsfans

Madmanmetz, BlindHog and IdStrosfan like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

2 weeks away from 2 weeks away. I dig it. :)

vince and Wulaw Horn like this.
  11. vince

vince Member

I’m sure the Astro haters of the world would hope the team fell on its face. But there is simply too much talent on the team to be this bad for too much longer.

The ball has most definitely not bounced in the Astros favor, because what could go wrong was going wrong; Bad bounces, injuries, bum luck…

With 4 healthy of their better starters in the rotation, the Astros should be able to save the bullpen for strategic matches and hopefully have a better outcome.

I would venture to say May should be a near back to .500 record wise. They are down 9 game from .500 so obviously they won’t make up all the ground unless they go on a sustained win streak. But agree that no need to hit the panic button.

12. Radricky

Radricky Member

We have a better home record 5-9 vs road record 5-10
    :)

13. Radricky

Radricky Member

Win today and it’s the second series in a row

14. Radricky

Radricky Member

Can’t sweep them all.
    Gods plan was to win two out of 3

15. Radricky

Radricky Member

Good vibes are back.
    Let’s go **** up the mariners b**** asses

Stephen66 likes this.
  16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

We are an extra inning loss (to the best team in the AL) away from having a 5-game win streak.

Besides "JV Jr." our starting rotation is really rounding into shape. And that's without Javier who is coming back soon.

Singleton seems to be embracing his new starting role.

Jose Altuve is still really good at baseball.

Our division still sucks. Relatively speaking.

marks0223 likes this.
  18. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's the spirit! Go Stros!

Altuve and Blanco are my shining stars.

19. SuraGotMadHops

It's insane how much damage was done the first month of the season, despite winning 4 out of 5 we are still tied for second worst record in the AL. I really feel like the turnaround had to happen during the Nats/Cubs road series to prevent this from being insurmountable. Astros can't afford to just play above .500 ball the rest of the way, they have to have two months somewhere (one to nullify the bad April, and another to get to playoff contention) where their record is just as good as their April was bad, I'm talking two months of 18-10 baseball. There is literally zero margin for error already and it's only May 3rd. It's a tall order....but I guess I'm not panicked about it, yet.

everyday eddie likes this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't even like buttons.