1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OFF Season : You're the GM - How do you fix <insert disappointing team>

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocket River, Apr 29, 2024.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Pick a team, That is disappointing. -- Wait until they are eliminated from the playoffs --
    and Explain how you as GM would go about fixing them

We can duplicate . . .and please be realistic

I will start with: Phoenix
    They got no picks. They got no Cap Space.

Well. You have to Fire Vogel. Point Blank and Period.
    I would say - Hire Sam Cassell.
    They have to find players in the Undrafted, Foreign players, G League
    Beal has to go to the bench. He has to Westbrook it.
    They need a Center and a PF
    Since ATL about to blow it up . . .. Maybe get a Capela
    In for a penny in for a pound. . . become a super Tax team

Rocket River

roslolian and tinman like this.
  2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Sounds like the Suns need to call up The Head Honcho. Though they might find themselves in a bidding war for his elite services.

Jontro, roslolian and tinman like this.
  3. evo8lover

evo8lover Member

I’ll go with Lakers. At this point you fire the head coach and trade Davis find a new star to play with lebron. Upgrade the point guard position. And go from there

4. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

5. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

I'll pick the Suns
    Bradley Beal contract is merely untradeable so most likely you'll trade Booker
    Trade Booker to the Pistons for Cade Cunningham + 3 First Round Picks (unprotected) and Second Round pick
    Trade Nurkic + Secound Round pick to Brooklyn for Sign & Trade for Nic Claxton
    Those acquired Pistons draft picks will be valuable to update the roster in possible trade scenarios during the 2024-25 season

6. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I'll pick the Clippers.

I release James Harden.

That is all.

Jontro and evo8lover like this.
  7. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Bulls and Suns need to blow it up.

pippsux and Streakshooter like this.
  8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sign Bol and play him some real minutes

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

They don't have their picks

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'd go with the Suns.

First move I'd do is call KPJ and bring him in. He is playing in Greece for 10k the entire season. He will bring in depth, defense and scoring punch.

Ok he comes with "controversy". So what? PHX have no future and are getting mocked left and right anyway, adding one more red flag won't make things worse. And after federal investigation all KPJ got for his actions was a misdemeanor and community service. Cry me a river.

Next thing I'd do is bring in some defensive big men because Nurkic ain't enough. My first thought is Bismack Biyombo. Biyombo is getting the vet min from Memphis so if you offer a bit more you can get him. He is bad on offense but you got Booker and KD.

Third would be playmaking. Time for a choke god reunion. No way CP3 gonna be retained by GSW, I'd talk to him and sign him to a 10-15M deal which is around mid-level nowadays. Yes he is already washed, but he is still good for the regular season and will provide leadership and playmaking which this team needs.

Most important I'd get a premium head coach. Vogel isn't bad but he also he isn't the best. I'd get either Budenholzer or Kenny Atkinson. Budenholzer sucks at adjustments, but KD and Booker are playing 40 mins a game in the playoffs adjustments don't matter. Atkinson has an analytics offense and known to manage wild egos. He got the best out of Russell and made him an all star.

waytookrzy079 and Rocket River like this.
  11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Bulls: Blow it up. This includes allowing Billy the Kid to leave for another team if he chooses. He's not the problem and I don't think much more could have been achieved by their roster.

Suns: They are stuck with Beal and won't get value with Booker if they trade him. KD might demand a trade but I doubt it. Hire a coach that can make those overlapping pieces mesh on offense. Cut Beal's minutes down. Bring on a gritty defender who can force elite perimeter players to earn every basket. If Nurkic is only going to score 11 ppg, dump him for a rim protector who is serviceable defending PnRs.

Pels: Sign a veteran PG who can run an offense and is a leader who will hold guys accountable. CJ McCollum is neither a PG nor a leader. You gotta ride with Zion and BI one more year before giving up.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

Beal was a disappointment , they already got Booker.
    Should have started Bol Bol
    He brings that flavor to the game

13. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Trade 'em all would be my motto. All of these high-salary disappointing teams are more less hopeless in terms of winning a championship. The 76ers are the only ones with flexibility. Shout out to Daryl Morey.

For example, Phoenix has too much invested. They have to run it back. But they'll be worse next year unless they hit on a center/point guard combo like they did with Grayson Allen who they might lose. Trade 'em all.

The Clippers could look a lot different. They have big decisions to make with Harden and George. They have plenty of salaries they could combine to get someone's bad contract/decent player. They're stuck with a talented forever injured player. Maybe a spot for Trey Young. They have tickets to sell.

New Orleans needs to trade Ingram and put all their eggs in Zion's basket. Both of them play better when the other is out. And Ingram is not the draw but has an attitude as if he is.

pippsux likes this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

they should pick up DMo

DD

tinman likes this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Maybe these two need to do some business

Lavine + Caruso + a 2nd for Beal

Beal + DeRozen more attractive than LaVine + DeRozen?
    They been trying to get rid of Lavine for a minute

Or Three Team
    Bulls Get: B.I. and Nance Jr.
    N.O. gets Beal
    Suns get LaVine and Caruso
    (snicker. . .yea kind of screwing the Pels on this one)

Rocket River

16. pippsux

pippsux Member

My disappointment and team to fix are the rockets.

Package any combo of Jalen Green, Jabari Smith and Cam in a trade for Mikel Bridges and or someone similar. Rumors have it there was deal on the table with Brooklyn before the All Star break.

Build around Sengun, Amen , Brooks and FVV

Anybody who sees the current rockets and thinks they will win at least 46 wins, is delusional. Smart moves and we are right there in the playoff mix

17. pippsux

pippsux Member

After he gets fired, I don’t see how anybody should hire Vogel. You are down 0-2 to a team that hasn’t won a playoff series in 20 years, why not mix it up and play Bol Bol along KD, bring Beal off the bench and play IT?

tinman likes this.
  18. pippsux

pippsux Member

Much as I hate Harden, he is not the problem right now. Their issue is Kwahi and his health.

19. NewAge

NewAge Member

LAL/PEL Ingram for D-Lo swap kinda makes sense. It’d also be funny because they were both former LAL #2 picks.
    KPJ for the Lakers probably makes sense.
    C.Wood is likely exercising his option, so the C.Wood/KPJ reunion will be funny, too

20. tinman

Supporting Member

exactly,

Bol and KD bring extreme length to the perimeter. When he got his chance, as the Rockets fans saw, Bol can make a difference.