1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Spring Training 2024

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Feb 18, 2024.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Talk about Spring Training here.

13 in 33, Snake Diggit and desihooper like this.
  2. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We go from here.... go 'stros!!

cmoak1982 likes this.
  3. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

It's too damned cold.

35, feels like Antarctica.

4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

While the phrase, "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." actually defies logic, the counterpart, "You take 100% of the shots you miss." is logical. Fortunately, we embrace delusion for propaganda purposes.

It's like me, totally uninterested in basketball, finding a home on a board started by basketball fans. It isn't logical, but I embrace it.

Nook likes this.
  5. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

First Spring Training game is THIS WEEK!

cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

First page!

7. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Least interesting spring training ever? 2 open spots deep bench and 3 open spots deep bullpen, and I suspect we already know, barring injuries, who breaks camp.
    give me kessinger and cabbage for the final 2 position players and Bielak, Souza and Whitley for the final 3 bullpen guys. Unless they can trade Bielak. I don’t think they will release him for nothing. He’s not super valuable but he’s also good to have as a guy who can get you through 3-5 starts somewhat competently, and he’d be fine in long relief as the 7th guy in the bullpen.

GOATuve and Snake Diggit like this.
  8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Unfortunately injuries will create some intrigue. Hopefully they are all minor.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I mean, it's pretty much like every spring training in recent seasons. We haven't went into camp with very many question marks since the run began.

10. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

There are also usually a few guys that surprise us. Hoping Leon shines and has cut down on his strikeouts. He could be a weapon.

Nook, The Beard, GOATuve and 4 others like this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Love this time of year

12. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I agree with all of this.

I think Bielak needs to be traded because I would like to see a younger, high ceiling guy have his spot on the roster. France is a cheaper, better fit for his role once he isn't needed in the rotation.

But Bielak won't be released which means he takes that spot if not traded. I think he could bring back a lottery ticket that Brown feels has tools and a chance at a MLB future.

Shark44, Wulaw Horn and BlindHog like this.
  13. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Bielak probably gets the long reliever spot in the pen. I think every body is convicting France of sitting on his laurels all summer. I expect to see him come to camp with enough improvements to change some minds.

raining threes likes this.
  14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I'm sure France has worked very hard to make this team and the rotation.

I just don't think he has the ceiling or stuff to become a top 4 guy which means he will have big value but always be looking to be upgraded.

But if the Astros were deep enough in SP to have him in Bielak's role that is a big step up IMO.

15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yeah- in years past though we did have one or two interesting guys to look at. Starting with Tucker and then some of the pitchers, and Yainer/Lee last year, even if not a lot of spots some interesting guys. This year I guess Whitley sort of qualifies if you squint enough, but yeah, less interest this year than others because less interesting guys vying for the roster spot crumbs.

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It’ll certainly be worth seeing how Melton, Dezenzo, and Corona perform against big league caliber pitchers. They probably don’t have much of a chance of breaking camp, but we will get a little sample of how overmatched they might be.

Wulaw Horn and The Beard like this.
  17. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

He is the one I'm very interested in watching. Since we traded for Cabbage he has gotten most of the talk. Leon has a higher upside and the same K issues. I'm hoping we see him take a big step forward. Lettuce see

Shark44, 13 in 33 and Marshall Bryant like this.
  18. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I think because France doesn't have the raw stuff to be a front line SP, an ace, people get down on him too quick

i mean I would love for the Astros to run 5 Aces out there, but...

I think if Healthy he is great as an end of the rotation guy

13 in 33 and raining threes like this.
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Spring Training....it is great at first having baseball back, but then it seems like it lasts forever until real baseball is back.

jim1961 and raining threes like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

I’m interested.

How does Javier physically look? Is Brown mature? Coleman healthy? Whitley going to be a big leaguer? Abreu healthy? Diaz work hard on framing and learning the staff? Meyers arm better? McCormick lose the 10-15 lbs they quietly asked him to or is he viewing himself as a corner guy?

Is Pressly going to keep smiling watching Hader in the 9th?