1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade target: Daniel Gafford

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Jun 9, 2023.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

The Washington Wizards have a new front office, and rumor has it they are seriously considering finally blowing things up and rebuilding. Most of their players don't make much sense for us as trade targets, or are already going to be free agents (i.e. Porzingis). However, there is one player who intrigues me, and that's their 24-year-old rim protecting backup center, Daniel Gafford.

Here are his per 36 minutes stats:

[​IMG]
    Gafford is athletic, pretty mobile on the perimeter, and a very good shotblocker, but does get over-aggressive and get himself into foul trouble at times. His offensive game is highly efficient, but that's because he's primarily a lob threat. However, as you can see in his season highlights, he does flash a little bit of an offensive bag, especially in the paint, and he is not just a big, long, athletic dude on offense.

While he is not an all-defensive type of player like Brook Lopez, he does a better job rim protecting than anybody on our current roster and would be a great different-look guy off the bench behind Sengun.

Gafford is relatively young and is on a good contract ($40M over the next three years), so it's easy to see him fitting in well with our group. However, he will probably cost some real assets for those same reasons, likely in the form of one or more draft picks.

At the same time, he definitely profiles as a roleplayer moving forward, so he's not the kind of player the Wizards should be holding on too tightly to if they're truly going to press reset and start over. If we are looking to consolidate assets and fill a need off the bench, it might be worth seeing what they'd want for him.

Jayzers_100 and jch1911 like this.
  2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I like this idea if he's available. Would look at it as a backup plan though, I'd rather not sign someone without a 3pt shot at C. Sengun is going to get 30+ minutes and can't shoot, so you have to ensure the other two main PF/C's can shoot. Otherwise Udoka's double big lineup becomes a spacing nightmare on offense.

If we've struck out on a lot of good options, I wouldn't mind acquiring him to backup Sengun for the time being. Pretty sure even if we pay a pick, we can recoup that pick by flipping him in a year. Does feel like a good fit with Udoka too, needs some fundamentals and to understand winning basketball a little better.

OremLK and jch1911 like this.
  3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I think it’s pretty simple in this regard - if we’re drafting a Thompson twin I think our 2nd C really needs to be a 3PT shooter (Lopez/Bamba/Bryant)

If not, then sure. Although I’d note Gafford is a bit undersized, his measurements at the combine were identical to Bruno Fernandos (6’9 237 7’2 wingspan) for example.

His play style is a big contract to Sengun, but I think many are hoping that Senguns backup could bring more length to the C spot as well.

jch1911 likes this.
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Just on Bamba: 2 teams and 3 coaches have come to the conclusion Bamba just can't execute plays. He's either lazy or dumb on the floor, you choose. But that's a lot of time and coaching invested in him AND he can already shoot and block shots but coaches are saying pass. Have to be careful about that. If the plan is "we can polish him up and make him functional" that exact plan has failed with good coaches.

Either we have some insight into how to break him out of it mentally at the source or we don't waste our time/money on guys like that. Can't be everyone's savior, we have like 8 players who need our attention in development. That's more than any average development staff can handle.

Agree overall though we need a C who can protect the rim and hit the 3 and that's NOT only because we're drafting someone who can't shoot. That's true regardless. Green and Sengun need shooters around them with the paint empty, that's how you build around scorers. That's why I'm pushing so hard for Brook Lopez. People don't want to overpay by looking at his stats, but the stats don't tell you just how rare and valuable a competent 3&D C is in the NBA. You're simultaneously improving your interior defense, offensive spacing and rim penetration. It's like winning the lottery, you can't pass that up.

It's worth developing Sengun in the paint cause he flashes a very high offensive potential, but overall these days it's insane to clog your own paint. You have to have at least the OPTION of 5-out for 20-30 minutes in this NBA. You have like 2 C's and 2 PF's, it would suck for every guard and wing that wants to drive to the basket if 3 of those people couldn't shoot.

Sometimes you have no choice and you get a stop-gap player but why create an impediment to easily the most important shot in basketball: shots at the rim. Other impediments don't impact us as badly, so I'd say build the right way from the start.

ThatBoyNick and jch1911 like this.
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

You made a number of solid points but a few things I’ll give counters to

Bamba got injured after only 6 games with the Lakers and never fully recovered (played 9 games total), that isn’t enough time for him settle in or adapt.

He also did develop and improve with the magic putting in a solid starting season last year, he regressed this season after the Magic drafted Banchero, signed Bol, signed Franz brother Mortiz, had Isaac come back for a short stint, on top of still having WCJ. Insane log jam, and something important to note over his timeline with the Magic, different coaches and NO consistent PG play.

I totally get agree with your point that this team needs vets, known commodities, focused hard workers. Bambas skill set and physical tools are just so immense that I think he’s still worth kicking the tires on.

Our team needs length and he has elite length, our team needs a player willing to split minutes and come off the bench for Sengun if need be and Bamba obviously fits that role, he’s a legitimate lob threat, high volume and percentage 3PT shooter, and rim protector, at only 25 - still fitting into our cores timeline.

And sometime to consider… he’s going to come at half the cost of Brook Lopez, if not less. We could trade for him right now from the Lakers on his 10 mill 1 year deal.

I feel with a coach like Ime, and especially with the potential addition of Harden, this could be an ideal spot for Bamba to flourish despite the youth.

I like Lopez and would love to add him as well for the same reasons to u point out, I’m just aware he’s going to be costly and there’s no guarantee he doesn’t chose elsewhere. Have to have other options

6. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Nope. Stone ain’t Morey. One thing we come to realized in his short stint is he can’t find the diamond in the roughs or another man’s garbage like Morey did. He struck out on Theis and Nwaba. I’d rather Stone go after proven dudes. His mid level signings have been bad

CHAMPBOY likes this.
  7. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

Bamba has no iq. It's been the story of his career.

Mathloom likes this.
  8. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

We think a lot alike. Ive mentioned Gafford a couple times over the last month. Just a nice compliment to Sengun.

OremLK likes this.
  9. OremLK

OremLK Member

I agree it would be nice to have a 3P shooting center. I do still believe Jabari will be an excellent floor spacer though, so already having one frontcourt guy with that profile helps, I think. The other thing is whether Sengun becomes a more confident, better shooter.

I do think there's an obvious need for a real shotblocking threat on this roster though. The defense needs that just as much as the offense needs shooters. Gafford would be about twice as good as our next-best rotation players in that area.

Mathloom likes this.
  10. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Yeah we’re looking for 3 things in a center:

1. Better as a defensive center than Sengun
    2. Able to stretch the floor on offense
    3. Good enough to significantly improve our backup / rotation center minutes, but not so good they wouldn’t accept Sengun starting over them

We’re not getting all 3 in one player. Gafford gives us 2 of those 3, which would be great. It’s not obvious that Washington would trade him for the #20 pick and one of KJ/Tate/TyTy though, we’ll see.

If we got someone like Gafford, I wouldn’t mind bringing in someone like Mike Muscala as a third PF/C and rotational option. Would give that stretch 5 option, he played very well for OKC last year, and would be very cheap to acquire.

OremLK likes this.
  11. Spooner

Spooner Member

Gafford can be a per minute stud. He's good for fantasy basketball, but terrible irl. Trust me you don't want this guy. He makes so many boneheaded and infuriating decisions. He singlehandedly lost a game this year on his own by goaltending a last second prayer. It was hilarious. Anyone who watched the Wizards this year is no doubt irritated by him. If we gave up any assets for Gafford I'd be despondent. I can see the appeal as a backup rim protecting center but I'd rather use the cap space elsewhere.

12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I like Jordan Goodwin and Monte Morris.

Goodwin would be great in a Udoka system. Will get with Ben Sullivan
    to improve his 3-pt shooting (or only Amen can improve?)

He apparently loves playing against the Southwest Division.
    In 7 games was 127 ORtg and 107 DRtg and shot 44% from 3

#12 ApacheWarrior, Jun 10, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2023
  13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Good enough player but I don't think "backup center" is a place I want to expend assets at this moment in time.