1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you sign Fred VanVleet to a 3-year max contract?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Jun 3, 2023.

?

FVV for 3 years, $129M. Yes or no?

1. Yes, go for it, he's the veteran leader we need.

29 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No way, too much money.

97 vote(s)
    66.9%
  3. Depends on the draft/Harden/etc.

19 vote(s)
    13.1%
  1. OremLK

OremLK Member

I was initially very against signing FVV not because I don't like him as a player, but because I think he'll cost too much money and too many years for a 29-year-old player who is more of a good starter than an actual star. But as I've been thinking about it, I've been softening on the idea a little. I do think he would be a good locker room presence and would fit in well with the culture we're trying to create, and the history of short, strong point guards is that they do tend to age pretty well and sustain their peak production into their early 30s, barring freak injuries.

If the market for him is softer than he expects, and he's getting offers around $130M over 4 years, would you consider offering him the full max for 3 years (3 years, $129M) as our way of paying the "bad team tax" and convincing him to sign? Perhaps this allows him to "bet on himself" and his ability to get one more 3-4 year contract when he's age 32?

If our draft pick is indeed Amen Thompson, or if Miller somehow falls to us, it seems like this might be a good fit for us in terms of money and duration. If Amen is the pick and he's playing great, FVV's contract should be very tradeable starting around a year and a half from now. Or, if he sticks around, he would be coming off the books right when we need cap space the most.

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

insane

maj21, topfive and OremLK like this.
  3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

No.

FVV on a max and Amen at 4 would be pretty depressing. Id consider that a wasted off season and a wasted year of tanking if that’s the best they come away with.

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

What do you think his realistic market value is? I.E. what would it actually take to sign him, for an average team/for a bad team like the Rockets?

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

between 30-35 mil/yr for some bad or desperate team

topfive likes this.
  6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

No.

I'd sell capspace and push free agency to next year

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

Over 3?

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah, but that's us. the Rockets are a perfect fit :D

Salvy, smoothie and Reeko like this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

over 3 or 4 years

OremLK likes this.
  10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't think there's any chance he's getting that. I would give him a 2-year max offer though. That's manageable because at least he'll be a large expiring contract in a year to which we can attach picks and seek an upgrade if necessary.

His value is dipping right now. He didn't have a good season and he's asking for a lot of money. He's going to be surprised by the offers he gets, the new CBA makes it very difficult for him to get the offer he's seeking. He won't get offered more than $30m/season unless it's a 1-2 year contract.

OremLK likes this.
  11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do.Not.Want.

Overrated and overpaid

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

All right, so say it was something like this:

Year one: $40M
    Year two: $35M
    Year three: $25M

($33M average annual value over three years)

Is that more line with your expectations for his contract?

groovemachine likes this.
  13. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

OP did you get bit by a racoon this morning?

topfive likes this.
  14. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's only too much money if it prevents us from signing another free agent. Who does it prevent us from signing?

groovemachine and wlekfjv923n like this.
  15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

There’s a number I would sign FVV at and be super happy about it. $40+ mil a year is not that number. I think he’s a $25-$30 mil a year player.

groovemachine and theDude like this.
  16. Mathloom

Supporting Member

That's a bit too much for me. My absolute limit for a 3 year contract would be:

Year one: $35M
    Year two: $30M
    Year three: $30M (50% guaranteed)

groovemachine likes this.
  17. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've always thought his max was $30m. That's the number I've had in my head this whole time, so maybe I just conditioned myself to believe that would be his max.

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

I'm just having trouble keeping up with salary inflation and what's a "reasonable" contract for players these days TBH. Roleplayers getting offered contracts that would have been considered superstar money like 6 years ago.

theDude and krosfyah like this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

No.

Ne.

NEIN.

нет.

いいえ

raining threes likes this.
  20. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I keep hearing how no one would consider signing or extending with us, so I'm really ok with lifting this team before committing long term money.

Doing something like maxing out FVV for 2 years and giving Brooke Lopez a big 2-year deal would be a good Plan B. It allows us to be within reach of the playoffs and see what we have with these young players. Green, Sengun and Jabari will have to step up and if they do, then you will know you don't have to spend much. If they don't, you start packaging them immediately and prepare to sign FA's.

Signing someone who is a huge risk or trading a part of the core before giving them a real chance are both bad ideas. I think FVV's ego will vibe with the idea of a big 2 year contract.

Williamson, theDude and OremLK like this.