1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets interested in Pascal Siakum?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, May 29, 2023.

1. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

2. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Ugh i hope not

Denovo, Arnel, carl_herrera and 5 others like this.
  3. kpdark

kpdark Member

It's the Raptors who are interested on our 4th pick.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

How many ways to mis-spell someone's name.....

5. TimDuncanDonaut

After the lottery, fans have speculated about Portland and Toronto. The could match each other's interest. Hence Portland being the top bullet.

Houston being the 2nd team listed is interesting. No doubt conversations are being had (despite maybe some CF fans strongly against it :p). Am curious how serious Stone and Patrick are.

#5 TimDuncanDonaut, May 29, 2023
    Last edited: May 29, 2023
    groovemachine likes this.
  6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

He would immediately be the best player on our team. I know we would have to spend a lot to keep him, but we need to start building a winning team somewhere.

His 3pt shooting isn't stellar, but he's a top 20 talent and a 2 way player. He would seem to fit within this team as well.

Sign me up for him.

HTownTmac1 and BigShasta like this.
  7. maj21

maj21 Member

And give up premium assets when there’s no guarantee he’d resign? **** no, I’d rather wait until he’s a FA next year

8. BelgianRocketsFan

9. i3artow i3aller

Siakam is already up there in age (29), and I'm not trying to do Masai any favors. If Ujiri sees more value in the 4th pick plus assets over Pascal then maybe we should too.

10. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Just draft Jarace at 4.

He's a stronger version of Pascal in a couple of yrs.

Plowman, Hemingway and daywalker02 like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah, Pascal is definitely on the verge of being scrutinized and mulled over, he is a good dude though, nothing spectacular.

Age would deter me a little.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am being cautious here but I like Jarace.

They say Whitmore has been good in the draft workouts and has turned a few heads, dude has an NBA star‘s body at 18 right?

Taylor Hendricks gaining traction too.

Imanimal and Believe It! like this.
  13. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

we're gonna haveta take a shaky swing or two to upscale..

but i dont think this is the move...

mac_got_this likes this.
  14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You want Siakim, sign him next offseason.

Saves the pick and eliminates the flight risk.

15. Losmi_34

Losmi_34 Member

He's versatile and a good defender, he would improve us immediately. Hate the way he screams everytime he's near the basket though...

BigShasta likes this.
  16. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

I like Hendricks as well.

Was just stating that their games are very similar.

If you go back and watch Siakim's college tape you see it. He's a bit taller while Walker's a bit stronger. Both he and Hendricks would be great under Udoka. I think Walker has a better all around game, but Hendricks can really shoot it. Would be nice to know if they have brought either in for workouts.

#16 Believe It!, May 29, 2023
    blue_eyed_devil and daywalker02 like this.
  17. NewAge

NewAge Member

I was also thinking about POR, but not sure the money works without Simons. And adding Simons to #3 is too much for Siakam

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

Help send him to Portland so we can move up to #3?

Corrosion and BigShasta like this.
  20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

There's already an established price for a star player who has proven they can be the 2nd best player on a championship team and can walk in a year. It's also critical that if the player walks, in both scenarios it will open up significant cap space. There is no pick in this package that is highly likely to net an All Star or better. There is no player that is likely to be an All Star. The price is:

Dorian Finney-Smith
    Spencer Dinwiddie
    1 unprotected pick from a team that has a player who on his own can guarantee playoffs (Doncic)
    2 second round picks

We don't have a role player as good as DFS, but a roughly similar package to that would be:

Tate
    KPJ
    KJ
    1 BKN pick (likely better than a Dallas unprotected)
    2 second round picks or Garuba or Christopher or Tyty

If we had no other options, I would definitely consider something like that. TOR is more interested in youth than BKN but we are actually offering a more youthful package to them than DAL offered BKN.

The idea of Udoka running double big defense AND offense through Sengun and Siakam is exciting to me. Two playmaking big men? Possibly getting ~15 assists from your two big men? Sengun working on his rim protection with the benefit of excellent POA and wing defenders? That's so interesting. The only team I can think of with that kind of set up is Adelman's Kings who were famously robbed of a title and I believe that's a team that would thrive even more in this environment. The Spurs did this to a lesser extent and slightly differently with Duncan/Diaw who were both excellent passers. The Warriors kind of did the same thing for a while at PF/SF with Draymond/Iggy being preferred as playmakers over the guards who were mostly asked to score, run in transition and defend. It makes it so that your backcourt doesn't have to be amazing at running the offense, just safe with the ball and make easy plays.

Teams are constantly studying and practicing how to guard your standard 2-3 types of offenses that run in the NBA, but when a team shows up with a generationally different strategy it tends to throw everyone off and create a long term advantage. It also literally changes the game if it works.

Sengun
    Siakam/Tari
    Jabari/Tari
    Green
    FA Signing/KPJ >> a motivated two-way KPJ happy to play way more off the ball would actually be a perfect fit, but you don't bank on it

I don't hate it. Siakam as a 3rd scorer here works.

#20 Mathloom, May 29, 2023