1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The future of Tari?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, May 21, 2023.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

So we know that Tari Eason is still young, but was a little bit older coming out of college. I always say that a little bit tongue-in-cheek because that is how these guys are looked at nowadays while they are still super young on the NBA prime spectrum.

Some of the prospects at #4 and some trade/FA targets project as starting small forwards. To go ahead and make a snap judgment using what you’ve seen in college and one year as a pro what do we think about Tari long-term?

I like the rebounding and I think the potential is there long term to be a great defender. The spot up 3ball % this year was also good but I am wondering if it was a bit misleading in the sense that can we really expect a ton of improvement on top of it. It won’t shock me to see some regression this year.

I thought the decision making, ball handling and finishing were pretty poor, and while it is fair to expect some improvement, it almost just kind of seems conducive to how he is wired. I dont know if he can (or wants) to slow down enough. He seems pretty one hand dominant and the tunnel vision this year was maddening at times.

I see him as someone that plays 30 minutes a game off the bench at the three or the four and is it a wonderful winning type of player? I just don’t know if I see starter over the next few years, especially considering what is available to us.

Thoughts?

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Definitely see a starter. It was bad for his career to be a 6th man in college because he got some impatient habits from it. Then he came to a team that was happy to see players make mistakes and not correct them much.

Udoka was a guy who guarded wings as a role player in the NBA. He's absolutely perfect for Tari. Will teach him patience and role. Get out of that 6th man microwave mindset. He's a player who would benefit most from a structured offense.

I think 2 months into the season we're going to be very very very happy with him and he'll challenge any starter.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

A lot will depend on how he develops.

If he wants to be a starter, he'll need to figure out how to make layups and his 3 point shooting will need to improve.

On top of that, it just depends on what other moves they make. He could easily just get buried on the depth chart if the Rockets bring in upgrades, but that doesn't mean he can't still end up a very good bench player.

topfive likes this.
  4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

He is a great fifth starter.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

He’s my favorite rocket so I’m biased but I think u trade Tari at your own peril. If we are trying to change the cutlture, u don’t trade Tari.

SubE, Denovo, tycoonchip and 8 others like this.
  6. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I think Tari has the most obvious and clear role on a contender. Everyone else would need to make significant strides to justify their role or touches.

He has value. So, if they sign some forward that's gonna play the whole game then I think you trade Tari or KJ. I actually already assumed Tate was the odd man out with his lack of size and shooting.

But, I think Udoka will find a way to utilize his best players. I don't think you'll see any of the silliness of playing a guy like Nix just because he has PG next to his name.

PeterKingX, rockets1995 and clos4life like this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Love Tari, love Tari's Mom, I hope he retires a Rocket, in 15 years.

8. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Hoping he can be a starter and improve his tunnel vision .. But I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't factor in Udoka's rotations as the season progresses.

saleem and Jontro like this.
  9. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Tari Eason stats as a Rookie coming off the Bench, Tari Eason joined the list of James Worthy and Scottie Pippen as a Rookie in Steals, Rebounds, Points, Scottie and Worthy off the bench as Rookies.

Tari Eason is a Great Young Player.

10. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Nix, Josh C need huge improvements, especially shooting 3s and Nix better play Defense.

11. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Nancy

12. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Can't wait to see what Udoka brings out of all these dudes.

Denovo, BamBam and vjohnson like this.
  13. invocux

invocux Member

A solid bench player. His bbiq is extremely low and his touch around the rim is horrendous. I don't think having good defense is enough to solidify one's place in the lineup. He'll be a slightly better Tate i think.

HardenReturns likes this.
  14. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Unlocking Jalen Green Defensively, Jalen did shut down Trae Young.

If Jalen is Motivated Defensively and Ignores KPJ Antics and Focuses Himself as a Star, Jalen will be unstoppable, Jalen in Ime System of Ball Movement and better Shot Selections.

red5rocket likes this.
  15. i3artow i3aller

16. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I really like him, but he has to be one of the worst finishers at the rim that I've ever seen. But he's a guy you keep around for sure because he's only going to get better.

17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Really depends on what they do in the draft, and how they feel about KMJ.

Would feel alot better about his role if the Rockets were in a position to draft Wemby or Scoot. A lot of the guys they could draft could suck time away from him.

BamBam likes this.
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Traded.

DD

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

Future low-end starter/high-end bench player. Great hustle guy. Needs to work on his shooting and layups to really solidify himself as a starter in the league.

red5rocket, invocux and HardenReturns like this.
  20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Not traded.
    Coach Udoka sees a gem in the rough and polishes it up.