1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No Worries…Rockets Will Take Whitmore

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, May 18, 2023.

1. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Rockets fans who are freaking out at the thought of Amen Thompson and his horrible shooting need not worry. The clear number 4 is Cam Whitmore. Watch Cam’s highlights and you won’t be complaining about 20% threes or 55% free throws. All it takes is watching 5 minutes of actual game footage (not highlights) of Thompson and no way he goes number 4. Guy is a turnover machine and misses layup after non-highlight layup. He’s also almost 3 years older than Whitmore. His high school ranking is about 30 spots lower than Whitmore’s ranking. Rockets have a good scouting staff and will go with Cam easily over Amen.

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

I like Whitmore, but he had 19 assists. No, not 19 in one game... The entire season combined. He averaged 0.7 assists per game. I've virtually never seen a guy who handled the ball as much as he did and passed it as little as he did. He has real questions about his game similar to the way Amen does, they're just in different areas, and he's a notch below Amen Thompson on athleticism.

If the Rockets evaluate both players and decide Whitmore is the better prospect, I'll defer to their process and hope for the best, but I doubt they will pick him at #4.

3. Jags

Jags Member

I’m just not seeing it with Cam Whitmore.

1) He’ll likely never be a good enough shooter to be a top scoring option (34% 3PT/ 70% FT)

2) He doesn’t have a bag. He can’t create his own shot unless he bullies his way to the rim.

3) Also has a severe case of tunnel vision. Will likely never become a good enough playmaker.

Miles Bridges 2.0

vince, don grahamleone and xaos like this.
  4. Denovo

Denovo Member

He’s only 18 lol. All of these flaws can be taught and fixed.

Also Miles Bridges’ development was trending towards All Star level before he decided to beat up his girlfriend.

Prince_Hakeem, MGC and maj21 like this.
  5. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Finally a Whitmore thread.

I’m hoping the Rockets can trade up or trade the pick for an established star, but I’d be perfectly fine with Whitmore at 4 if they stay put.

The guy has already got a really good foundation. He’s got an nba body, high motor, elite athleticism, good length and amazing first step.

He needs work on his team defense and developing his offensive repertoire. He shot a high volume of threes and his percentage was meh, but it’s encouraging that he shot so many and wasn’t terrible. Also, his form looks good. He’s not going to need a complete rehaul of his shot.

Plus dude will still only be 18 on draft day.

Right now I think he’s easily a better prospect than the twins.

6. Jags

Jags Member

Whitmore will be a solid player. I can actually see him carving out a nice 15 year career.

But lack of shooting, playmaking, and self-creation are major flaws when you’re drafting as high as 4.

7. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I also wouldn’t be upset if they took Gradey Dick at 4. We need shooting and he’s one of the best in the draft. Also really young with a good foundation to work with on offense and defense.

Pbev99 likes this.
  8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Gradey Dick? That guy is going to go like #14 in this class, lol. If they want him they should trade up from the Clippers pick.

34to11, forchette49, Arnel and 7 others like this.
  9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I also wouldn’t be upset if they took Gradey Dick at 4. We need shooting and he’s one of the best in the draft. Also really young with a good foundation to work with on offense and defense.

He reminds me of Klay on offense.

10. cdastros

cdastros Member

Cam Whitmore plays like Tari Eason. Not a bad thing but kind of redundant.

Arnel, edwardc and baller4life315 like this.
  11. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Haven’t seen him projected to go that low anywhere but projections and mocks don’t really matter.

Josh Giddey was mocked by several people to go 10 or later. Most people here thought we’d have to trade up for Tari Eason. Jabari was supposed to go number 1 until the last second. Don’t care about projections.

MGC, Arnel, RocketsCasual and 2 others like this.
  12. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't mind if the Rockets want to spend an asset to move up and get him, but you're just leaving a ton of value on the table if you pick him at #4. I would be shocked if any team picks him higher than like the back end of the top 10. At a minimum, I expect the Thompson twins, Whitmore, Walker, and Hendricks to go before he does.

34to11 and Arnel like this.
  13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Thats your opinion. I have a different one.

No biggie.

14. Denovo

Denovo Member

Everybody that would potentially be available at 4 has major flaws though.

It’s just Amen, Whitmore, Walker or Hendricks.

blue_eyed_devil likes this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

What's Amen's stats 2 yrs ago?

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Coach spins says Whitmore is the most athletic player he's ever seen. He also has more power than Amen.

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

He is extremely athletic in a straight line and up and down, perhaps even roughly equivalent to Amen Thompson in that regard, and he does have more power. But as a complete package (when factoring in lateral agility, body control, deceleration, fluidity, etc) I don't think it's particularly close.

34to11, Arnel, Yung-T and 2 others like this.
  18. Jontro

Jontro Member

you've sold me. @Kam Whitmore for #4

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

He strikes me as one of these Okoro, Josh Jackson types. MAYBE more offensive upside … MAYBE.

I don’t see one elite skill set.

HARD pass for me.

Medicine N Music likes this.
  20. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Gradey will be a big time contributor for 15 yrs in the league barring any major health issues. Not saying a star necessarily, but a solid pc to any team. Not a crazy athlete by any means, but a smart, tough competitor, that can shoot, pass and hustle on both ends of the court all day.

Wouldn't pk him 4th, but say they traded down for 6 and 11, I'd be happy with him at 11. We need the shooting.