1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets should consider Sergio Scariolo as head coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Mar 26, 2023.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergio_Scariolo

[​IMG]

Sergio Scariolo (born 1 April 1961) is an Italian professional basketball coach who is head coach of Virtus Bologna of the Italian Lega Basket Serie A (LBA) and the head coach of the senior Spain national team. Having won four EuroBasket championships and a World Cup at the head of Spain, Scariolo is one of the most successful coaches in the history of international competitions,[1][2][3] and according to many players, journalists and commentators, he is regarded as the greatest national team coach of all time

This coach could get the best out of Alpi, Garuba (whom he coached to the European championship last summer) and Wemby, if we get him.

He was an assistant coach with the Toronto Raptors when they won their only title.

https://basketnews.com/news-169176-...ches-in-the-nba-its-their-world-not-ours.html

Last but not least, Sergio Scariolo revealed that he never thought he would be promoted from assistant to head coach in the NBA, while working with the Toronto Raptors (2018-21).

"I have never had that feeling. Even, when I was interviewed for the head coach position, I never had it. They are not willing to take this step right now.

You never know what will happen in the future, but I do not see the way for a European coach to make the leap from Europe and become the head coach in the NBA without spending some years as an assistant. The question is, how many years do they think you need. Nevertheless, it's very strange.

It's their world. They welcome talent, players, coaches, and even agents when they can help the organization improve. But giving the keys to 'foreigners' in a top leadership position is something that still needs a few more years to happen," Scariolo finished

The Rockets should think outside the box and should do it.

Mike D'Antoni brought fresh ideas from Europe.

This guy could, too.

Fun fact: He coached one game as head coach when Nick Nurse was out - against the Rockets, by chance - and Kyle Lowry gave him the game ball after the Raptors won. Maybe he could bring Lowry in once Lowry gets bought out?

PG: Harden, TyTy, Lowry
    SG: Green, Christopher
    SF: Wemby, Tari, KMJ
    PF: Bari, Garuba
    C: Sengun, [draft pick or FA], Boban

2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

4. evo8lover

evo8lover Member

Anybody is better than Silas so I’m all for it, he’ll I’d take Kevin “play harder “ McHale over Silas as a coach again

5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Nah. If we wanted to b that innovated should have hired him when we started tanking.

I think if we want to out of the norm to get a cheap in house coach, Mahmoud Abdelfattah would b a candidate.

If not u go for Ime or Nurse.

This dude is way too far out there to take a leap of faith.

Sittonsideways and RasaqBoi like this.
  6. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I think he was right when he thought he wasn't close to getting a head coaching job in the nba.

I think it's much less of an anti foreigner thing it's more just that it can take a long time for anyone that isn't a former player with a good reputation. I mean the Nets hired the Canadian Nash with zero coaching experience and the Kings hired Vlade Divac to their front office without much experience. But, they were nba players. Other guys have to work their way up. It's not even just tactics you need to learn the psychology of coaching these elite players who are the best of the best (and some that aren't, but think they are)

Scariolo may be good but I'll take my chances with the 2 proven finals coaches that look to be available.

This team needs someone who's seen the next steps and know what they need to do. We don't need anymore guys learning on the job.

7. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

If they decide to bring someone from Europe, the great Z.Obradovic is waiting there. Why compromise?

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Sign Adam Sandler as head coach and Kyrie Irving in free agency. Sparks fly!

Jontro, eliefor3 and Arnel like this.
  9. Arnel

Arnel Member

only rational solution

eliefor3 likes this.
  10. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I'm all for Adam Sandler if he can get us Kermit Wilts

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

I like it. A proven winner. Euro basketball is also a lot more about keeping the ball moving and playing unselfishly, which this crew of young kids badly needs to learn.

12. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Honestly the most important jobs of an NBA head coach are effective communication / influence / man management / getting everyone believing in and consistently motivated to execute a plan. Mostly stuff Silas is terrible at by the way.

The tactical stuff is obviously important in the playoffs, but for most teams assistants handle a lot of it.

I think mentality is a little different in Europe; I don’t think the coach has to convince the players so much, the coach is like god over there. A little more like college.

It’s just really hard for a foreign coach (or a college coach) to get and keep NBA players bought in.

13. Ancient Moabite

If the Rockets are fortunate enough to land Wemby/Harden and a another or two solid free agent then Silas would look like Bickerstaff with the Cavs, who was basically a avg head coach and just has the pieces as all coaches need to look better

Silas will get an extension, because Stone would want to do right for those org employees as he said in his own words, which I would imagine Stone wants badly for Silas to succeed as much as he wants his lotto picks and trade for KPJ to work out

Jontro likes this.
  14. Arnel

Arnel Member

Agreed. Although the OP has the right intentions, this would NOT be the right move at all. Your summary above is very spot-on.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Would Conley Jr instead of Lowry.

I agree with the rest, just any legit coach.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

i'm in. can he start yesterday?

Ankara1923 likes this.
  17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member