1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lamar Jackson?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by awc713, Jan 12, 2023.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

A lot of talk about Bryce Young, Stroud, etc…

I could see the FO forking over the contract Lamar has been wanting. Whether it’s smart or not is tbd, but I could see Cal trying to fast forward the rebuild and not want to wait through the pains of a rookie QB.

just a thought. Between Lamar and new jerseys, I think the try to drum up some excitement that way.

RHU525 likes this.
  2. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

No….

He would take up almost all of our remaining cap and we are not a QB away. This is a rebuild!

gatsby, primtim24, ROCKSS and 4 others like this.
  3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I would take Lamar or Carr in a heartbeat.

4. Qan

Qan Member

Nope

And I don't see Cal doing what you're saying at all.

raining threes likes this.
  5. awc713

awc713 Member

I’m not saying the Texans *should* do it

Just that I could see Cal forcing something like this to stir up interest. Texans are the laughing stock of the NFL and sports world. I stopped caring about them 2-3 years ago. Really nice to have Sundays back, but I digress. I think Cal is close to shaking it up because he is losing this city and fan base fast. New jerseys alone won’t do it. NRG was empty AF this year. Depressing. I’m not saying he should do it, but this is the type of move I could see him forcing on Casario as a rebuild is just not sexy, and is not going to entice fans with how bad Texans have been over their entire history. I think Cal realizes he’s losing fans more than he thought possible

6. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

Ravens will tag him

evo8lover, ROCKSS, Fiah and 2 others like this.
  7. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

The main ones complaining are the same ones saying they don’t/won’t watch games and aren’t invested in the team anymore lol I’m confused

8. Buck Turgidson

I'd rather trade for Randall Cunningham.

coachbadlee and ROCKSS like this.
  9. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Triple option with Burkhead and Pierce.. Who says these Cal wouldn't entertain this?

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/4093213/2023/01/16/lamar-jackson-ravens-future/

[…]

Jackson is much more important to the Ravens now than Reed was then, but injuries have sidelined him late in the past two seasons, raising questions about how much money Baltimore should guarantee for the long term.

Jackson is averaging 10.3 rushes and scrambles per start through 61 career starts, by far the most for any quarterback through 61 starts since at least 2000, according to TruMedia. Cam Newton is next at 6.8 per start to the same point in his career, followed by Michael Vick (6.7), Josh Allen (6.0) and Russell Wilson (5.3). Newton produced an MVP season while helping Carolina to the Super Bowl in his age-26 season, but he never reached the Pro Bowl again and began to decline. Jackson turned 26 last week.

“Has he improved as a passer?” an evaluator asked. “Sure, but he is a running quarterback, and how is it different than the running back position? It is different in terms of number of hits, but the hits can be worse for a quarterback to take. I just would not commit to him more than a year or two.”

Jackson reportedly wanted a fully guaranteed deal like the one Deshaun Watson leveraged from Cleveland when Watson could have signed with other teams. Jackson does not possess that kind of leverage because Baltimore owns his rights through the franchise tag. But he could make the situation in Baltimore untenable if he wished, the way Jalen Ramsey and others have done when seeking out.

[…]

Sean Payton predicted on the Fox pregame show Sunday that Jackson had played his final game with the Ravens. Vick, seated near Payton in the Fox studio, suggested Jackson should have “put a brace on” his knee and gutted it out. Earlier in the week, Ravens receiver Sammy Watkins suggested Jackson might be playing if he had entered into a long-term contract.

“I am not a Lamar apologist, but I don’t think any of us knows what he is going through medically,” the evaluator cautioned. “Everybody is different, and a PCL is a weird ligament, and if there is truly inflammation in there, that is hard to play through.”

An agent thought the coming offseason would be a terrible one for teams needing quarterbacks. That could increase the demand for Carr, who is on the trading block. Tom Brady could be available as a short-term fix. Jimmy Garoppolo’s durability will be a factor teams must weigh. Teams drafting outside the top picks can’t count on that avenue.

“There will definitely be a market for Lamar if the Ravens want to trade him,” an exec with ties to the Ravens said. “I was thinking maybe Houston. They have a ton of draft capital. Atlanta comes to mind. Lamar going back home to Miami would be amazing if they could find a way.”

It’s all speculation at this point, but it feels less far-fetched all the time.

“I see a divorce unless their doctors are privately telling them Lamar really can’t play because of the injury, which seems doubtful with the way Harbaugh has handled it,” a longtime exec from another team said. “I could see a trade next spring if they can get a high enough pick to get a new QB. Lamar appears to have a ceiling that Jalen Hurts poked through this year. Harbaugh is making it seem like they are tired of the situation. They will never give him the Watson-type contract he reportedly covets.”

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Against popular opinion I'd be good with Jackson as QB if the assets given up were not too crazy.

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

He’s still young. I wouldn’t be against signing him and using the #2 and #12 picks to get him weapons. He has never been surrounded by much talent and carried a heavy load, a team that mange’s him better could get more out of him

Verbal Christ likes this.
  13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The last thing Lamar needs right now is a rape case.

14. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

What?

15. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I like Lamar but if we trade for him, we won’t be able to put weapons around him because he’ll take up the remaining cap. We have, $40-47M in cap? He’ll demand atleast $40M. Not sure how signing bonuses are whatever works but we’ll but putting the same product on the field as this past season with Lamar.

Verbal Christ and Shark44 like this.
  16. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

To be realistic, I would think it would take 2 #1 draft picks and a #3 at a minimum. Would you offer both Cleveland picks and a future #3?

We could then trade down from the #2 pick and pickup extra draft picks to a team who needs a QB.

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Doesnt seem like BAL has many weapons around him now and he's still making plays. I think the cap concerns are more credible than the supporting talent level. I think with the next couple drafts you could theoretically add the requisite skill players if the coaching staff on board could maximize the offense around Jackson.

Just playing devils advocate Im almost certain that going in on Jackson is not even in the cards for this team.

red5rocket likes this.
  18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Lamar has missed 5 games and 6 games in the last 2 seasons. Ravens win if Lamar is playing last night. The problem is his availability and he thinks he is worth $200 million guaranteed. No way.

primtim24, cmoak1982 and red5rocket like this.
  19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I would want Lamar as a free agent, but if they tag him the draft capital would be exorbitant and you would still have to wonder what it would take to keep him. No to any player that wants a Watson type contract. The Browns really screwed the rest of the league with that contract.

20. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I’m not doing it. That’s just me. Too many holes in our roster. Ravens also have the 9th ranked defense. Texans are 30th. I don’t see why we would give up our best assets for what @Mr.Scarface just said….