1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Both Scoot and Victor are not without significant flaws .

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by snowconeman22, Dec 20, 2022.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

They are both still great prospects , but their respective heights are major problems.

Even though they are both exceptional, their outlier status dooms them to fail ?

few bigs above 7’2” are “healthy” .. maybe with the trend to fewer games that’s mitigated .. but especially if victor wants to play for the national team that’s a potential issue . Yao Ming anyone ? Chet down year 1 .

The sweet spot for height for franchise player tends to be in that 6’6” -7’0” range . Maybe give or take an inch .

the further away you deviate the longer the shot of you being a franchise player that leads a team to a championship.

With scoot , who’s his comp ? I haven’t followed him that closely, but what is his real height ? 6’1” ? Too short ... sorry . Hasn’t happened since Isaiah Thomas .

Both are worthy of top 5 picks . But one of them could go #3 or 4 and it wouldn’t be crazy .

would they both go over Cunningham? Edwards ? Banchero ? Going back further , Durant ? KAT , zion , Davis , Howard .

Their height would be cited as a reason for concern .

I know even less about the rest of
    The class right now . I’ll give us till the all star break lol .

2. a time to chill

We need to stop stigmatizing 7 footers as “injury prone”

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Theres a decent amount of media on all the injury prevention methods taken by Victor and his camp. Will it all work? There will still be plenty of hand wringing over his frame and stature, but I'm still picking him #1 and not looking back. That kind of game bending two way talent doesn't pop up every year. I don't anticipate he'll be thrown to the lions and play the 5 right away. I think teams will bring him along slowly and deploy him as a perimeter 4 on offense and pair him with a bulkier big on defense, kinda similar to how the Cavs use Mobley and Allen to great effect.

I think he goes #1 most years. It's tough to compare against previous drafts knowing how careers have played out, but his hype is on the same level, if not better than Zion and Wiggins (lol).

Scoot is listed at 6'2 with a wingspan around 6'8. Similar to Damian Lillard and Ja Morant who are unequivocal stars and franchise players. His ceiling looks like it could be Morant with a better jumpshot. I do think he goes #2, but can see another player going ahead of him.

Cam Whitmore and Amen Thompson both fit the bill of wing sized prospects oozing with potential. Overwhelming athleticism with flashes of shot creation and playmaking. Both have hovered in the 3-5 range, but carry a little more risk and require more forecasting to reach All Star status.

4. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Brandon Miller is climbing. Should be someone everyone keep an eye on.

5. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Rockets really have to Scout every possible Prospect including Overseas in Euroleague especially.

Are there any Luka Doncic, Dirk Nowitzki, Nikola Jokic, Alperen Sengun.

Forwards and Centers are the Rockets Focus, unless another Luka Doncic comes along in the Euroleague.

6. jayfree

jayfree Member

WOW, someone is size-ist!

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Wemby is considered the best prospect of all time since Tim Duncan/Shaq/Hakeem. He is seen as a better prospect than even Lebron (whose only real skill was dunking and a little playmaking at the time). I get the injury concern but with Wemby the talent and potential is so crazy you take your bets on him anyway.

Scoot is indeed a bit small, but at 6'2 he is prob around the height of Tyty Washington which is adequate. I mean Ja Morant is also around the same height and nobody says he is too small.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Players over 7'4" historically have very short careers.

Scoot is too short, IMHO - I don't get the Scoot Henderson love, I prefer Amen Thompson.

DD

fattz and snowconeman22 like this.
  9. omgTHEpotential

"Both are worthy of top 5 picks . But one of them could go #3 or 4 and it wouldn’t be crazy ."

No. Wemby going #3 or #4 would in fact be crazy. And a fireable offense for the 2-3 GMs that passed on him. Picking in the top 3-5 you aren't looking at the best fit or the guys who are most durable. You're only looking at the highest potential and there's nobody in this draft class that comes even close to Wemby's ceiling regardless of potential risks.

And let's not put Wemby in the same sentence with Scoot. They're not in the same tier of prospects. Scoot is closer to being the #10 pick than to being #1.

#9 omgTHEpotential, Dec 31, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2022
    don grahamleone likes this.
  10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

7’0” is fine. When you start getting up to 7’3” or taller, you see limited minutes early in a career and a career ended in early 30’s. It’s a physiological reality. Google “Dr. Kenneth First Yao Ming” and see if you can find his interview on stress fractures relating to taller players. The foot problems are a nightmare for guys at that height.

I’d still take Wemby I think…just know you don’t have forever to build around him. You need to get it right quickly while he’s still in early to mid 20s

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yup it’s an impossible notion to even consider not taking him. Knowing what you know regarding your post I won’t be upset when the rockets don’t get him.

Just give Sengun/Eason/Green/Jabari a guard that plays good defense and can create and let’s see what happens.

There are about 5 guards that could perhaps fit that archetype in this draft I just hope the rockets end up with one of the better ones.

12. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Such an interesting thread title, such boring content. Next time just title the thread "Viktor too tall, Scoot too short."

Yung-T and jiggyfly like this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You are way overthinking this, no GM is going to pass on Wembley because he might get hurt, would you pass on Embid because he has been hurt multiple times?

Would you pass on Yannis because he is 4 inches taller?

Yao was still the right pick even if he was injured early in his career.

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

OP is showing serious recency bias here. Wilt, Kareem, and Shaq were all over 7 foot and all won multiple championships as elite franchise players while mostly staying on the court over the course of long careers. It is clearly very possible for a 7+ foot big man to mostly avoid injuries and carry his team.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Well, he did say "above 7'2" "... :D

16. PhiSlammaJamma

Almost everyone comes with a significant flaw.

Lebron couldn't shoot.
    Jordan didn't have handles
    Doncic lacked explosiveness.
    Durant was too thin
    Kobe couldn't handle the rock.

I don't worry about it. Only a few greats turn it into a strength like Jordan and Lebron. Everybody else figures out how to hide it really well.

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Just finding this thread for the first time.

Very insightful. Tells us the players have significant flaws. Proceeds to list flaws like so

1. Height
    2. ??

10/10. Would read again

18. j@amc

j@amc Member

Lebron didn’t have the outside shot, but his form was there. You could see it even in the early days. And while the dunking and physicality were unreal what I saw in 18-19 Lebron was passing and ball handling. It reminded me of Magic and Drexler how he could push and pass the ball.

VW is an elite, generational prospect. He can palm with 2 fingers but shoots at an absurd percentage. He moves like a multi-tool 6’8 forward, and he’s 7’2 or 7’4. He’s not tied to the floor and with steady strength training, he’ll add the right muscle.

Last note: he’s already logging 34 minutes in a 40 minute pro game. That’s a nice workload for a young big.

19. omgTHEpotential

You know it's bad, when even OP abandoned his own thread.