1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Darius Garland and Donovan Mitchell Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Reeko, Oct 8, 2022.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

Garland is 1 of my favorite young players to watch…supremely skilled and shifty, and that jumper is on buttery biscuit

How are y’all feeling about this backcourt and the Cavs in general?

Will Garland make another leap? Will Donovan catapult them to the upper tier of the EC?

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  2. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

They're gonna be fun but still a year away

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

4 or 5 in the East

arabrocket likes this.
  4. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Personally - I would have been more patient as GM and wouldn’t have put my eggs in the Mitchell basket. He’s already peaked offensively and he plays zero defense. Can’t expect Mobley to make up for all the whiffs that backcourt is going to allow - no matter how talented they may be offensively.

That said - they should do well in the regular season when teams aren’t preparing as much for specific matchups.

46-49 wins. Lots of fun - but not something that will grow well together.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

2nd round team. would be ecf team if they have the fat timberwolves love

arabrocket likes this.
  6. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Depends on who Mobley becomes. Garland and Mitchell are ultimately too small.

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

What constitutes the upper tier? Contenders? I think Boston, Philly, Miami, Milwaukee are all contenders, with Milwaukee being the favorite, overall. Brooklyn contends too, if Kyrie actually plays consistently.

While Cleveland will probably be similar to those teams at seasons' end, record-wise, I think they're just a year or two away from seriously contending.

8. TimDuncanDonaut

Garland did lot for that team last year. When Sexton went down, Garland's usage ticked up, but he still scored at high efficiency and setup his teammate.

He was asked to do a lot, maybe too much at times. Having Mitchell to do some of the playmaking should alleviate Garland's burden.

When Sexton was ball dominate, Garland was able to play off ball, so between Darius and Donovan, I see them working. ...can be more than just your turn/my turn. Offensively Mitchell is an upgrade over Sexton.

Donovan and Collin are both 6'1", it's not a departure for the Cavs. They are taking the Trae/Steph route, where they use speed and shiftiness. The a-tier small guards are the ones who can finish despite height. (floaters, fade, draw fouls)

The Garland and Mitchell are a smaller backcourt, but it's offset by their huge front court in Mobley and Allen. This lineup will be interesting to see. Even in the 2nd lineup, they have Robin Lopez and Kevin Love to continue that lineup in stagger /bench minutes.

Small fast guards + jumbo front court is a unique starting lineup configuration. It's interesting even if just for academic curiosity.

Their weakest spot was SF: Lauri Markkanen. Now that Lauri is gone, Okoro or Dean Wade might swap in. A good 3&D SF wing would serve them well.

#8 TimDuncanDonaut, Oct 9, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
    hakeem94 likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

2nd rounds in the West and the East are separate things.....

Jontro likes this.
  10. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Their perimeter D may be the only weakness… Their interior D should be elite tho

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

Contenders, or at least a top 4 team in the conference.

I’ve got them around 5th best in the conference as of now with potential to move up with the improvement of Mobley and Garland

you’re higher on BK than I am…Steve Nash, Ben Simmons, weak crop of big man, a plethora of bad defenders in the rotation like Seth, Patty, Joe, etc and the drama and turmoil are why I’m not bullish on Brooklyn

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm very interested to watch the Cavs this year. I don't know about their potential but their atypical roster construction has me curious to see how it plays out.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2022...or-this-summer-hes-better.html?outputType=amp

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

T-Wolves need a legit PG to replace Conley, not an erratic (but talented) yoyo who reminds me of D'Angelo Russell.

But, to be fair, if Garland played for a better coach than JB Bickerstaff, he might mature and become more steady.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yep.

18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Let’s see, Maybe

Rockets Get:
    Garland,
    Levert