1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where do y'all see us ranking as a team offensively and defensively this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Sep 12, 2022.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While I see us getting it done in a big way on D eventually, for now, I'm assuming we put up a lot each night while giving up more.

They're really,really young, and have nothing inside defensively.

The guards should drive the pace/scoring. Once Wood was gone, we really started to pick it up late.

At some point, this will start to lean towards Alperen initiating more, but that's going to take awhie.

I'm thinking somewhere in that top 5-10 range as far as offense, and while we might not be last in defense, it's not going to be pretty. Probably the inverse. Bottom 5-7. (pace, youth, and lack of cleaners inside)

We're going to have some big totals.

#1 Plowman, Sep 12, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
  2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I expect improved metrics on O & D. Where ThheGoodGuys’ll ‘rank’ v League? No clue.

I want competitive games, growth as players and team. Where the Ws’ll rank v League? Less than play-in, I assume.

Big problem that impends IMO: too many needing too many minutes but too few minutes to spread.

fattz likes this.
  3. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Where do y'all see us ranking as a team offensively and defensively this year?

This is when we need @basketballholic! His newsletter was invaluable regarding such questions!! :confused:

Go Rockets!!!
    …….
    …….
    …….

4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

#4 ApacheWarrior, Sep 12, 2022
    xiki and BamBam like this.
  5. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Somewhere between 10-20 in offense and somewhere between 20-30 in defense in all honesty. We've got some pieces but everybody's still so so young and inexperienced. Thinking we're going to be a top 5-10 offense in the league at this stage is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Space City likes this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

20th Offense +/-5
    25th Defense +/-5

daywalker02 and Sweet Lou 4 2 like this.
  7. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

With the expected growth of the core, the addition of Jabari, Tari and the new coaching staff, after probably a rough start to the season getting comfortable with the new guys and hopefully a better system, they should be better on both ends of the floor.

They're overall Off/Def rtgs will depend on how long it takes them to adapt and get past the rough start.

They go from...

26th on Off to 18-22 range.

30th on Def to 23-27 range.

Probably will not get them into the playoffs, but will keep them from a third top 3 pick. Will the commanders let this happen???

:eek:

CDrex and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  8. Jontro

Jontro Member

top 5 in defensive ratings
    top 20 in offensive ratings
    top 5 in lottery position

9. TimDuncanDonaut

This prediction is more realistically optimistic.

Not to put a damper on fan optism, top 10 offense is really reaching. Our offense relative to the league has not been good last couple years.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

Rockets been ranked 27th and 26th in offensive efficiency the past 2 years, and people actually think they could jump up to 10th or be in the 5-10 range? Lol, really?

Is prime Harden on the roster?

cmoak1982, Dobbizzle, thekad and 5 others like this.
  11. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

I definitely see a top 5-10 Offense from this group in the future, but it'll take a bit to get there. What will set them apart at that time will be that there Defense will also be top 5-10. That's when they'll take off.

Optimistic fan for sure.
    :D

12. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Off: 12.5 +- 2.5
    Def: 19.5 +-2.5

33+ wins

13. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

1 & 1 respectively.

Running it through the Silas is head coach filter.

19th offensive
    23rd defense.

#13 Swapshop, Sep 12, 2022
  14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Offense : 24th
    Defense : 26th

We got younger and our “best offensive player” from last season is gone. We improved our future defensive potential, but again still way too young to expect much yet.

javal_lon and luckyman76 like this.
  15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Offense: 22
    Defense: 27

luckyman76 likes this.
  16. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Definitely close to dead last on D simply because we have lost large parts of the rotation if EGo is also gone and have more rookies that we have to integrate significant minutes. Half the season will be getting a starting lineup acclimated on the court and setting a working rotation that plays well together on offense let alone focusing on communication on D. Offense ranking in the bottom third until there is a massive improvement in efficiency, reduction of TOs. We are dead last in record for good reason.

17. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Bottom 5 in both

harold bingo likes this.
  18. fattz

fattz Member

We will be better than this but not by much. Smith’s development is key to both ends of the court. If we can make teams pay for the double teams the game will open up for everyone including Smith.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That would make us a playoff team. I don't think that's going to happen and if it does, Silas would have done a masterful job at coaching...something I don't think many on this board feel is possible.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I actually think there will be more of an emphasis on defense this year, even though it's a young squad. I'll say: 24th on offense, 18th on defense.