1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Kids

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, Aug 18, 2022.

1. sydmill

sydmill Member

Obviously this Roster is loaded with young players with 10 players aged 19-22 on the roster. With so much youth on the roster and with additional picks coming in the upcoming years (especially 2 first round picks in the 2023 draft) the topic of whether to move some of our young prospects for more established players or to just focus on developing fewer guys at once like Green and Jabari has been mentioned. With all of that in mind, I ask the following questions which I find myself asking about this team:

1) Can the Rockets plan on rebuilding solely through the draft?
    2) If not, who goes to make way for free agent signings or as assets moved via trade?*
    3) What roles do we reasonably project for these guys?
    4) What should college fans or draft junkies be looking at for next summer's loaded draft?**
    5) Is there room/a place for guys like Mathews, Tate , etc on the squad?

The focus of this thread are the following players (to make it easier to discuss specific development):

1) Jabari - 19
    2) Green - 20
    3) Al-P - 20
    4) Garuba - 20
    5) Christopher- 20
    6) Washington - 20
    7) Nix - 20
    8) Eason - 21
    9) KJ Martin - 21
    10) KPJ - 22

* : any upcoming free agents of interest?
    **: specific prospects of interest?

D-rock, don grahamleone and Corrosion like this.
  2. sydmill

sydmill Member

At this point, with these guys on the roster, I think they have to try to build out almost entirely through the draft. Of course if Giannis or some such generational player because available you do what you have to do but I think I'd rather make sure there is enough coin to re-sign these home grown guys than splurge on Andrew Wiggins or Myles Turner and take game minutes away from guys who I think have more potential than such players.

I could see Garuba and Martin both being moved as pieces in an EG trade or attached to Nwaba or Mathews. I think both guys start the season with the team and probably get showcased for a spell since I dont think either has much value at the moment. Would love for Martin to add to his perimeter game and Garuba to show the promise he did in Spain but I am not holding my breath and, given this topic, I dont think the Rockets can afford to give much time to develope guys who maybe showing that theyre not in the same class as other prospects on the team.

Roles:
    1) Jabari - Starting forward, floor spacer and ++ defensive player
    2) Green - Starting 2, focal point of the offense and possible franchise player
    3) Al-P - Starting big, his post ups will be a key piece of the offense for himself and setting up others
    4) Garuba - Possible backup big, will need to be available to show what he has to provide
    5) Christopher- Backup guard/Wing, primary backup to Green who is also used in 3 guard lineups
    6) Washington - Guard depth, will compete with Nix for spot minutes
    7) Nix - 20 - see above
    8) Eason - Eventually starting forward, transition beast and ++ defender
    9) KJ Martin - Likely the odd man out at this early point in the rebuild
    10) KPJ - Starting 1, I think we will see him in a role similar to Lonzo Ball as a 3 and D point guard

Holes left on the roster
    If everything pans out as per my vision then I think the Rockets should be looking for a backup level big to play behind Sengun and an additional 2 forward for instant offense off of the bench.

#2 sydmill, Aug 18, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
  3. Asian Sensation

Did you seriously do a Q & A with yourself?

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

@sydmill forgot to switch socks LOL!!!

5. sydmill

sydmill Member

While I am pretty important, I honestly just wanted to jumpstart the conversation and figured that was an easy way to do it.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They are post adolescence!...

7. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Around half these kids will be moved for vets if the team wants to compete in the near term.

8. JW86

JW86 Member

Boban is only 22!

9. Milos

Milos Member

Your opinion of Garuba is MUCH higher than mine
    You put him fourth while I'd flip that rank for KPJ
    If he hasn't made his mark by the end of this season, and we add another top prospect, he may not have a roster spot

Also, I think the payroll will determine a lot of these decisions
    If we Max Green and Bari, we would have about half the cap left
    Assuming the best case and KPJ, Alpy & Tari earn nice second deals too (avg $20M per) that's already the rest of your cap for 5 guys

I'd rather cash in a guy like Josh than lose him for nothing or pay him market value to come off the bench

fattz likes this.
  10. sydmill

sydmill Member

The order was just age youngest to "oldest".

D-rock and Corrosion like this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Too early to tell. It all depends on how "the kids" develop.

I hope these five will stick: Green, Sengun, Smith, Eason, Washington
    They seem to be good hard working kids.

We don't have our own pick in 2024 (unless it's top 4), thanks to the stupid trade for Westbrook. This season will the the last we don't mind being bad. Some decisions will have to be made next summer which of these kids we will want to keep. And we will have to go after some high level players in their prime and start to compete.

12. dmoneybangbang

No one really knows.

I'd just recommend not getting TOO attached to players, especially those NOT named Green and Jabari.

Milos, javal_lon and Easy like this.
  13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yes, he wears shoe size 22.

burlesk likes this.
  14. Salvy

Salvy Member

15. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Are they alright, then?

RasaqBoi and BelgianRocketsFan like this.
  16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Lots of height and guard depth to this draft. Those twins definitely peaked my interest, but there's a ton of rim protecting shooters in this draft. I think like 6.

D-rock, Shark44 and burlesk like this.
  17. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

It's currently impossible to tell where the roster will be in 2 years time primarily because of two things:

1. The Rockets lose control of their pick in 2024-2026.
    2. Just before the Rockets lose control of their pick (2023 off-season), the Rockets have a gigantic 70m cap room. As Zach Lowe pointed out, Rockets are a sleeping giant during the 2023 off-season.

Stone has positioned the Rockets in a very admirable spot despite the circumstances. If all things go right, the Rockets won't mind giving up their pick to the Thunder, especially since the Brooklyn pick would potentially be much more valuable, and also because they'll be competitive by then.

D-rock, Corrosion, Easy and 1 other person like this.
  18. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Are you saying garuba is looking like a miss?

Milos likes this.
  19. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I think big free agent or 2 will be the final step of the rebuild. That is why I am ok with Rockets picking top 5 again this year (hopefully get lucky and pick top 2) and then fill out needs with a free agent. At that point they will also have some nice pieces to potentially trade. For example if kpj Plays well and Rockets draft the pg of their dreams, then kpj can be a trade piece to land a top player.

20. fattz

fattz Member

We will need every penny of cap space to keep the talent we have. I fear that we lose out on what we develop because the amount of players and the timing of their contracts. We need to thin out 2021 draft from 4 to 2 players. The 2022 draft from 3 to 2 as well. It’s still very early to do this but it will have to happen.

Corrosion, burlesk and Milos like this.