1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tilman Fertitta

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tmacfor35, Jul 3, 2022.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Round of applause for this man.

People can have their own personal views about his opinion on the Luxury tax etc, but his decision to allow the Rockets to tank for their future shows he is a great owner for this team.

We could be stuck with owners like Herb Simon from the Pacers, Michael Jordan from the Bobcats or Ryan Smith from Utah. They chose to be mediocre in order to sell tickets, because that was in their own personal interest.

Tilman was quick to put an absolute awful product of basketball in Houston at the expense of ticket sales for the best interest of the team's future. That isn't something a GM decides.

That's a trait of a great owner, shades of... Jim Crane

The Rockets are setup for potentially a 5-10 year championship window a few years from now because it wasn't about the money. It was about Houston sports.

The future is very bright.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

SIGN SEVERO IN 2022-23

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

The past present and future was Ben Simmons. We have already missed that opportunity. It’s 2022 shooting doesn’t matter in thr nba anymore.

Otherwise I agree!

4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

hey look - the asshat that pissed off and gutted our championship team stayed out of the way long enough to let us have a chance at rebuilding what he destroyed...

let's throw him a party!

smh...

5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

@YOLO will not be pleased.

clos4life and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

8. PatBev

PatBev Member

This is one of the freshest starts I think a owner could ask for

I think Tilman & Patrick sees this as their family era of the Houston Rockets and will be a bit more invested about the teams future

Dude took a hit during Covid like many businesses did so I’ll let that slide but I have been impressed with his patience and not trading for a big name for ticket sales

9. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Salute Patrick Fertitty. Lurking on CF and telling stone who to select in drafts.

10. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

You better spray of some of that new industrial strength ceramic coating because there are plentry on this board that are going to fry you for praising Tilman.

He has done very well with this rebuild.

11. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

In my opinion, Tilman did what he could to maximize his profits and prematurely got involved in basketball decisions and made some pretty bad mistakes very early on in his ownership tenure.

Then Covid hit… and nearly all of his business ventures took a huge blow.

He’s bounced back, kind of lucked in to hiring Stone, by default…. And seems to have backed off of getting into the way of basketball ops and will likely benefit long term by doing so.

Its been a mixed bag, thus far. I think if he stays out of the way and let’s Stone work, and spends the necessary money when it’s time…. We will have a more positive outlook on Tilman as an owner. There’s Still a lot that needs to go right, though.

Rocket River, SubE, kjayp and 8 others like this.
  12. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

There was an absolutely enormous amount of luck which needed to go right to be in this position.

What's the saying, it's better to be lucky than good.

This situation is the exact definition of that.

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Best owner in the business. Got rid of 2 cancer people in Morey and Harden and now the Rockets have a bright future. Stone set the blueprint for the rest of the NBA on how you're suppose to value draft picks and acquire them

14. Landry's Tooth

Uh, TF didn't do the Barkley trade....

He may have been a minority owner at the time though...

bumbum09, Milos and Rudyc281 like this.
  15. Landry's Tooth

What bad deals were done?

Westbrook trade?
    Capela trade?

Both predicated on appeasing Harden.

If you cry over Ariza, Ryan Anderson, Mbah a Moute, and Rivers not resigning then you haven’t watched the nba in 3 years...

16. Landry's Tooth

Ben Simmons is a negative asset at his salary.

luckyman76, King1, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  17. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

18. tmacfor35

I could care less tbh. If they can't get over blah blah blah luxury tax then I don't know what to tell them.

He showed his hand the last few years and it was for the best benefit of this organization.

I remember the hate Jim Crane got once upon a time. He understood the importance of acquiring young talent at the expense of ticket sales.

He is now 7 years into what appears a never ending championship run.

Tilman has taken the painful steps the last few years and it will now be up to player development to see this through.

Its honestly incredible the position the Rockets are in just two years removed from the destruction they were left with.

Sold Harden at the top, tanked the right year for Jalen Green, Jabari Smith jr, and potentially Victor Wemby/Scoot Hendersen.

Thats not even mentioning the money available for multiple max contracts and retaining the rights to Brooklyn's future.

Magical really.

txppratt, Madmanmetz and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

The Westbrook trade was one of if not the worst trade in Rockets history and was the reason we were clinching our butt cheeks when the lottery was drawn last year.

Of course the trade was made to appease Harden but Tilman gave the green light- and he deserves a big chunk of the blame for that reason. As I stated in my original comment- Tilman’s biggest mistake early on was getting directly involved in any basketball decisions.

Fortunately for us, we ended up keeping our pick last year and ended up with arguably the 2 best players in the past 2 drafts.

I won’t deny that we are in a good position moving forward. But let’s not act like Tilman hasn’t made mistakes.

slothy420, topfive, kdchilds and 4 others like this.
  20. tmacfor35

I think Fertitta who has a VERY close relationship with Jim Crane.

Check out this excerpt from a Biz Article in 2018 when he bought the team.

Houston Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta doesn’t fear losing, because the house always wins | SB Nation NBA Preview 2018

“I watched Jim Crane disassemble the Houston Astros for four years. Taking all of these prospects and draft picks, and I just couldn’t believe what he did. He didn’t have a face of the team. I just don’t know if I would’ve made that decision. I don’t know if I could. It took a lot of balls to do that, and I congratulate him for what he accomplished. But to field a team that loses 110 games a year for three years even if I knew I was going to win a World Series. I just don’t know that I could put a product out like that.”

This man, had his feet on the fire and pulled the trigger. He saw what works and adjusted. I give him full credit for this.

txppratt, bmd and cheke64 like this.