1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The nba figured out how to stop the super teams and it is working

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by what, Jul 1, 2022.

1. what

what Member

The supermax deal is finally showing its effectiveness. Most stars are opting to stay with their teams and draft picks, which were somewhat of throwaway lower in the draft, are becoming more important and more valuable to teams.
    This coupled with the two-way contracts and the gleague have been very helpful instruments in paving the way for development.
    This along with the new play-in games that the nba has recently begun have all made huge strides in the game of basketball in curbing some of the tanking.

Also, possibly due to rules changes, I don’t know, but the point guards have been a bit nerfed allowing defenses to play a major role in the game again.

Obviously the league isn’t perfect: we still see some favoritism in the playoffs, but I for one think Adam Silver is doing a hell of a job. It took a while but I am liking where the league is going.

Being a small market team has never been better, as you just aren’t going to take a superstar away with money and a bigger market anymore. And many of the lesser players are also getting huge deals. Like I said, Adam is taking this league to a great place.

#1 what, Jul 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Allowing certain players to play by a different set of rules and standards is not doing a good job. I think there’s like 7 players who were part of every single championship for the last twenty years. That’s shite, my friend. Chips are the bottom line.

3. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Lmao the warriors literally just won with by far the highest payroll in the league

Every serious contender has at least 2 all stars

4. what

what Member

Yeah but I guess you failed to mention that number two three and four on the list: lakers, clippers, and the Brooklyn nets and not only that but golden state’s entire team was drafted.

5. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Let me make sure that I understand.

OKC just gave 3 first round picks for Ousmane Dieng and the T-Wolves just gave up 4 first rounders for Gobert and you've determined that lower draft picks are becoming MORE valuable?

6. what

what Member

You forgotten more about the NBA salary cap than I’ll ever know so I’m not gonna question on that but I will point out the fact that one team thought it was a benefit to get all those picks so that mean something right?

like it’s a viable strategy to horde draft picks more than ever.

Slyonebluejay, Jontro and hakeem94 like this.
  7. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

The new reality seems to be if you want to trade for an all star you hand over three picks and two swaps. Minny, Atl, Hou, Brooklyn and soon likely PHX have just done this.

Not sure how good this is for the league when everybody owes everyone else their picks for 5 future years. Damn confusing if nothing else.

Dacamel, Patience and Easy like this.
  8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

wasnt Gobert a low pick himself? so yes

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Tick tock

Tick tock

Grizzlies irrelevant again. Find another Ja.

10. clos4life

clos4life Member

I don't know. All that a super star has to do is request a trade and make a big stink until they get the trade to ruin a franchise. Sure, sometimes it works out but it's due to luck, not because of skill. The Rockets got lucky, it took a smart GM like Stone to get us in position to be lucky, but we got lucky nonetheless with the 2 and 3 picks back to back in the draft.

AXG, UTSA2step, Slyonebluejay and 2 others like this.
  11. aelliott

So Gobert was a low pick...and you give up 4 1st round picks for him? Doesn't sound like they are too valuable.

I heard that they Rockets have announced their first couple of give-aways for next year. First Tuesday home game is Boban Bobblehead night. Second Tuesday home game is draft pick night - first 10,000 fans through the door get a lottery protected first round pick. Should be fun.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am trying to imagine what a FRP bobblehead looks like. And are they going to do a LTS bobblehead too?

13. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

The lakers won already...

Clippers were in the conference finals without kawhi

Nets would have beat the bucks with kyrie or harden

14. what

what Member

Lebron was well past the effectiveness of a supermax deal, he has already made his coin, Kawhi is a head case who forced the hand of the spurs, and the whole woulda coulda thing means nothing to me.

In addition, kawhi doesnt even fall into the supermax timeframe that I mentioned in the original post. When he left the spurs.

also, your argument fell outside of my original point anyway, that big markets aren’t going to be able to steal superstars: as you pointed out that the golden state warriors have the highest payroll. That means nothing, as they did not lure a superstar away from a supermax deal.

does not mean because a team with the highest salary has anything to do with the effectiveness of the supermax deal. I think we saw this year and going forward that superstar players are going to choose the supermax over trying to create a super team, which was my point.

15. aelliott

Oh, they have value but now you have to offer more of them to get the same value. That would mean that they've gone down in value.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So they are simply cheating . . .in a way you kind of like

Rocket River

17. what

what Member

I would think that having more picks and getting them is more of a means to an end that hasn’t happened too much over the years until recently.
    More recently, maybe 10 years ago and slowly ramping up until now, teams would never trade their stars, period — they would do everything, in their power to convince that player to stay after year 7 and or 8, usually with bad results.
    But look at now, what has happened is that picks have become a viable solution. I don’t necessarily think you can judge the fact that a team is asking for 3 first rounders, as meaning, they must be LESS valuable, because we haven’t seen any teams going back about 10 years that would even consider making deals like this.
    But think about what has happened: the new two way contracts, the draft being De-incentivized toward tanking teams, the fact that there are college players now choosing to stay longer due to the new NIL rules, the gleague in general and being able to develop talent. All of these things are making pick hording more valuable — while, at the same time allowing the smaller markets to capitalize on their stars in a way they never could. The supermax reality is that big market teams know that they are a a disadvantage when it comes to stars because the money is so huge to stay with your drafted team. So yeah, the point is that picks are valued one way or the other.

18. don grahamleone

Drafted yes, allowed to play by different rules yes.

P.S. The Warriors franchise bought this championship. Highest payroll by far, then won. Is that doing the league service year-in year-out?

clutchdabear likes this.
  19. aelliott

You're confusing cause and effect.

Teams aren't trading stars because they want draft picks. Stars are forcing their way off of teams. Do you think the Rockets wanted to trade Harden? You think Brooklyn wants to trade Durant? The draft picks are just part of the compensation so that you get something back. Problem is that you rarely get anything approaching equal value when you trade a star.

AXG, UTSA2step and don grahamleone like this.
  20. don grahamleone

[​IMG]