1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Wright] Hakeem vs Shaq

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by stilldr34amin', Jun 27, 2022.

1. stilldr34amin'

With all the recent talk of Rockets’ future, it’s nice to look back in the past once in a while.

Pretty enjoyable podcast from Nick Wright, who I don’t always agree with, but nice to see the Dream getting some national spotlight.

D-rock, kubli9 and Believe It! like this.
  2. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty sure most Clutchfans members these days weren't alive to see either play.

3. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Based on Broussard and Antoine's comments they didn't really watch Dream play either.

D-rock and conquistador#11 like this.
  4. htownborn34

htownborn34 Member

Nick says a lot of dumb stuff but obviously I’m with him on this one and I agree with his points. I feel like you go with either guy and it’s no wrong answer in my opinion. What I hate though is when guys like Chris make the argument that Hakeem didn’t win as much or didn’t make the Finals as much as if Shaq didn’t have Kobe or Wade or as if Shaq hasn’t played with better players. Hakeem has never had the supporting cast’s that Shaq has had throughout his career. He and the Rockets were robbed of having a legit second option next to him after Ralph Sampson started having injuries and we had to trade him. Keep in mind when Hakeem actually had a #2 next to him the Rockets not only went to the Finals with the Twin Towers, but they nearly swept the Showtime Lakers! Hakeem dominated Kareem that series and that was only in his second year while Ralph was in his third and their second year as a tandem. The Rockets never really replaced him and the #2 that they ended up eventually getting for Hakeem was O.T. (who was good) but he wasn’t no Kobe, Wade, or even Penny and was more of a third option on most championships squads. Imagine where Hakeem’s career could have been if he had Ralph for at least a decade. Also let’s not forget Hakeem didn’t go from team to team like Shaq when things wasn’t going his way. I know Hakeem demanded trade back in the day but regardless it never happened and when he did leave he was years removed from his prime.

#4 htownborn34, Jun 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
    BigM and D-rock like this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

I feel bad for those guys.

But at least they have their youth. :D

6. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

Can't go wrong with either guy. IMO, Shaq, Hakeem, Abdul-Jabbar--you can pretty much pick at random and do just as well as picking purposefully. To me, those are the clear-cut three greatest centers of all-time, with Wilt and Russell in the next tier and Moses Malone and David Robinson in the next.

7. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I disagree with the "you can go with either guy though."

Shaq was barely above average on defense. In crunch time, he was often a liability due to FT shooting.

Those 3 Finals stats were accumulated against overmatch Pacers, Sixers and Nets teams. Pacers best players were last legs Reggie and Rik Smith + Jalen Rose. Nets had peak Kidd but with Keyon Martin and Keith van Horn. Sixers did have Iverson and Deke but no one considered them to ever have chance. Sure those Lakers teams had to get through Sac, Port and Spurs, but he wasn't as dominant against them.

Also Hakeem was so versatile, especially when young. You could even put him into today's era, and he would probably be elite, especially on defense.

Shaq was perfect for that era -- 3 point starting out but you could play multiple non-shooters and get away with it because of the style of the game and no zone not allowed (unless you were George Karl's Supersonics). Pre 90's the physicality and the packed paints because of minimal 3 point shooting would have limited his ceilings despite his strength.