1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's/who's the next move?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Puppet Master, Jun 25, 2022.

1. Puppet Master

Puppet Master Member

We need a 2nd reliable scorer next to Green

Please don't say KPJ because he's definitely not reliable, at times inconsistent and shows horrible basketball iq at times

Jabari will be a very good role player at best. Not sure he's the 2nd guy behind Green

Sengun I feel will be a good player but I'm not 100 percent convinced he's our future at Center. This will be a very very important year for him.

We can't always expect the draft to help here. We may ultimately need a superstar signing.

My question is who? And what position?

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

[​IMG]

3. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

jabari, a very good role player at best? ummmmm....

kpj will accept lou will role or be shipped for picks.

sengun is a wait and see if he can develop a great 3 point shot, or he'll be a bench player too.

tate will be shipped by the deadline if we can get a first, if not we'll play hardball in restricted.

EG is 50/50 to be traded. we'll just keep him and have the capspace if we can't find a good offer. then resign him to a cheaper deal next year.

we will tank one more year, try to get wembi, try to convince an allstar to sign with us and we'll be on our way.

BallSoHarden, VoR and J_Hunter_1977 like this.
  4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

KPJ is a reliable scorer. I agree that his lapses of maturity cloud his long term future with the team. But while he’s on the court he is an excellent scoring guard, who actually plays defense.

unfortunately he’s not a good facilitator. So it’s not the best fit running the floor next to Green. I see him as starting caliber 2-guard or 6th man of the year guy, but I think we’ll see the KPJ at point experiment for one more year. As long as he can keep his emotions in check, he needs to play starters minutes; he’s just too good.

If TyTy or Nix show signs of being starting caliber point guards, I think we’ll see one of them get at least 20 min a game over the 2nd half of the season.

I continue to believe KPJ’s best position is 2-guard where he can focus on scoring off the dribble and making shots. This is why I’ve always thought that at some point Christopher and KPJ are going to be in competition for minutes. But we’re not there yet, and we really don’t know how good TyTy or Nix will be.

Our starting pg may or may not already be on the roster; this season will begin to clarify the future of that position. Tyus Jones would have been my FA target but looks like we aren’t gonna spend much this free agency. I’m alright with being patient and seeing how the current guys on the roster perform.

#4 Aruba77, Jun 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
  5. PatBev

PatBev Member

Unreliable….. We’ll see how the season goes

We need to get the best vet PG on a 1yr deal who knows they are being slightly overpaid for the sole purpose of mentoring KPJ/Green/Christopher/Tyty and to help start getting some wins under these kids belts

6. a time to chill

I think the Rockets just need to get another young big like Claxton or Mo Bamba

Stephen_A, ak99999, kjayp and 6 others like this.
  7. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Either Jabari is our 2nd scorer or we will be bad enough to draft that guy next season. I definitely would not try to sign a secondary scorer this season. It’s all about developing our young guys.

That being said I would try to sign Mo Bamba - a rim protecting 7 footer that can shoot threes is something we could really use and he is young enough to grow with our core.

Stephen_A, ak99999, Hui and 6 others like this.
  8. Ghost5Horse6

Ghost5Horse6 Member

does Dennis Schröder qualify that role you mentioned?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. Puppet Master

Puppet Master Member

Please quit using a 7 game stretch at the end of the season to call KPJ a reliable scorer

10. SummitKid83

SummitKid83 Member

Sheesh..talk about having no faith in any of these guys.Seems everyone else is higher on our players here.

11. a time to chill

I'd also target Miles Bridges from Charlotte

Stephen_A likes this.
  12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Trade 2 of Tate, Gordon or KMJ, preferably Tate for future value.

That's it, that's the next move(s). You can scrap heap a replacement level big if you want later.

Nook, ElPigto, luckyman76 and 2 others like this.
  13. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

It's not just about that, and you know it.

14. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I really don't think they will be a "next move." The most significant thing that may happen is a Gordon trade, and I'm not even sure that happens until the deadline, if at all. I think we roll with this group and see how they fare.

Regarding a reliable "second" scorer, despite the OP's assertions, KPJ can absolutely fill that role with the space Smith will provide. Not to mention Smith and Sengun will probably put up solid numbers.

The 2023 offseason, on the other hand, will probably be a different story as we'll have a ton of cap space.

15. Puppet Master

Puppet Master Member

No faith?

Seriously?

There's like 4 untouchable players to me on the roster this season, Green, Sengun, Christopher & Jabari. I really like that core, I just don't see a 2nd scorer

KPJ, Tate, Nix, Mathews, Martin, Gordon, Garuba are very much replaceable right now

Time will tell with Eason & Ty

16. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Jabari a very good roll player at best? The dude was widely mocked to be the #1 pick in a decently strong draft. He absolutely has all-star upside. I'd be pretty disappointed if he wasn't avg'ing a 17/8 right away. I expect him to be a 20/10 guy for a long time.

Big ask but a 3-level defending big would be a great addition. Someone who can rim protect when Sengun is in and rim roll when Jabari is in would be great.

17. OkayAyeReloaded

Yeah, not a salary cap expert but I don't believe we have enough space for a guy like Ayton this year and next year we'll have much more space to make moves. Likely just some trades and natural development then a draft pick.

As long as we develop we might actually be better but it depends on the trades and how they address center imo.

D-rock likes this.
  18. mightybosstone

I think it's probably too early to ask these questions or make assumptions like this, especially assumptions about Jabari. Also, with a million players on the roster at it is, I really don't want to see them add a bunch of other players at the moment, unless it's a consolidation deal.

Let the young guys play before you identify what the long-term holes are and start trying to fill them in.

banzai and courtsidedreams like this.
  19. fattz

fattz Member

Waiting watching & weeding is next.

Waiting => on Wall & Gordon’s contract to expire

Watching => what works and doesn’t

Weeding => who stays or moves on

Then
    Khris Middleton should be our target. Championship winning team player that still has something to prove because we will be “his team”. High BBIQ, plays hard every night, he is heart and soul of the Bucks. He will be coming home or is he “College Station Khris”

ArtV, eliefor3, j@amc and 1 other person like this.
  20. Puppet Master

Puppet Master Member

Those numbers don't tell the entire story with KPJ

Christian Woods numbers looked good as well.