1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Jabari be the next Dirk?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Scarface281, Jun 25, 2022.

1. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

We've heard KD, Rashard Lewis, Klay, or Tatum (this one confuses me) as ceilings for Jabari but probably the best ceiling for Jabari (next to Lewis) is actually Dirk. Let me toot my own horn as I called this comparison during the '22 tourney after watching season highlights for Jabari:

I lived in DFW during Dirk's greatness when the Mavs won their title and saw him up close at a few Mavs games (and like to think I shoot like him in pickup games but I digress). If you know Dirk's game, you know he didnt need to dribble much. He had the capability to but it was pretty basic. When he was younger he had a quicker step and could move better towards the basket, even led some fastbreaks, but as he got older into his prime years that jumper was what destroyed everyone. We remember as Rockets fans watching him stand there with the ball in his hands looking around or backing someone dkwn, but everyone knowing he was gonna rise up and shoot:

That's Jabari. I went back to the clip I was referring to in my post and you can see similarities to the Dirk vid. Jabari shoots with his body straight just like him:

He needs to develop the turnaround fadeaway. And once that shot is confirmed NBA deadly then Jabari will need to use a pump fake to start driving fast people for more space or simply rising up and not giving a damn, like you Jabari has that potential here. Go to the 2:00 mark where he does a turnaround jumper followed by a post up fadeaway with his Dirk leg sticking out:

Or here:

Now Jabari is gonna have to work hard to get here of course but the young man has the work ethic and determination to do it, plus is surrounded by other young players with that same drive. Trying to temper my expectations but damn we have something special forming.

2. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I believe he can actually be a better shooter than Dirk and a better defender - but I don’t know, if he will ever have the x-factor he had. And Dirk was really good at driving to the basket at least later on.

In the end I believe what Stone said to be true - he is really a different kind of player than what we have seen so far. His floor is really high and we will find out about his ceiling. I still see him mostly as a taller Klay with better defense - and I would totally be alright with that… but I think he will just be a different kind of player.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. Joerex Jamisola

Just a taller Klay Thompson and I'm fine with it. A second option in offense for a contending team in the future.

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Yeah would love for him to master the Dirk one leg fadeaway jumper.

And I keep seeing a taller klay comp…can he shoot as good as klay??

Will his shot be talked about with the likes of klay?? Klay is talked about as being one of the greatest all time shooters.

ROCK3TM4N likes this.
  5. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

He's nothing like Klay or Dirk lmao. He can't create his own shot like Dirk could, and his handle is nowhere near Klays. He's also Significantly worse at finishing inside than either player ever was.

One leg fadeaway... lol. He needs to practice contact finishing drills and dribble drills until he shoots a respectable eFG inside.

A more athletic Rashard Lewis is actually a great comparison. He had the exact same weaknesses. The thing is, he never really improved on them. It makes sense, given that those are 2 of the hardest things to add to your game at the NBA level.

hajkov, jiggyfly and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. Ghost5Horse6

Ghost5Horse6 Member

No...but the next Lamarcus Aldridge.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. Rockets4Life13

"Handle nowhere near Klay's" sounds like that is some sort of high bar to reach lol.

Klay's handle is nothing special and is definitely in the realm of possibility for someone like Jabari.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm not sold on Jabari becoming an all star, but he has the potential to reach that level. Sengun can hit a one legged fadeway. Both he and Jabari are 6'10. I think Jabari has the ability to drive and finish at the basket. His handle needs improvement, but it's not bad. He might never not ever be as good as Dirk on offense, but he will always be a better defender than him, even as a rookie. Dirk collapsed like a pack of cards immediately after Tyson Chandler left the Mavs.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

A shorter Dirk…with defense. Sounds good to me.

raining threes, Rudyc281 and pmac like this.
  10. maj21

maj21 Member

Not the sexiest comparison, but I see him as a Gallinari with defense. They look so similar, especially how they operate in the mid range. I see that as Jabari’s floor, but I definitely expect him to eventually be way better

11. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

I didn’t know he was from Germany?

raining threes likes this.
  12. Scarface281

I think he moves better/more athletic than Aldridge and will end up being a better driver as he improves his handling.

saleem and Rudyc281 like this.
  13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

You know I think this comparison is spot on as I said it in the Jabari thread multiple times. Great job spotting it early.

I honestly don’t get the other comparisons. KD, PG, Kawhi? Those are more natural wings. Kawhi closest in his robotic way. A tall Klay makes very little sense to me. Klay and GSW are all about constant movement. Even the quick little pump fake type stuff to get open. Jabari, like Dirk, is more methodical. Taller Khris Middleton? Someone in the other thread said Ray Allen… lol - look I get it these are all great shooters so ofc there are SOME elements to their games that match.

but ultimately when I’m looking at an entire offensive arsenal, positional comparison, movement comparison, moves comparison…

it’s a strong strong comp to Dirk.

now … it’s 2022 not 2002. That means to me there needs to be some improvement Jabari over Dirk. Certainly immediately “improvement” will come from just shooting more 3s. Dirk shot over 4 threes a game 7x in his career but never 5+ a game. Jalen just shot 6.8 a game last year and Jabari is the better shooter by far. CWood got 5/4.9 per game his last 2 years here. There is an element to guards just shooting them more but seems likely Jabari will be in the high 4s-8 a game most of his career with that shot. Klay shot 9 a game this year. Steph nearly 12 a game.

is there more improvement over Dirk for Jabari in 2022 nba where so many bigs can at least hit a three now and have become more guard like in skills at times? Tbd. I think he has more athleticism. He definitely to me has more room to build a super strong muscle physique.

noteworthy that Dirks rookie season he was 20 the whole season so a full year older … AND I’m old enough to remember early Dirk - he caught up fast but he didn’t come in guns blazing. His first year was “ok”. Second year was much better and you were like ok this dude got some real game and upside. And his skills improved over that time.

that’s all offense. Defense is no comparison. Jabari way more upside.

so if you’re looking for the ceiling case it’s Dirk with more bulk, potentially more athleticism and all nba level defense.

that’s a top 20 player all time lol.

so it’s incredibly unlikely just probabilistically that it happens but it’s the upside scenario from a comp perspective that makes the most sense to me.

#13 JayZ750, Jun 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
  14. ROCK3TM4N

ROCK3TM4N Member

Its all just fun right now trying to find comps for Jabari, I think we are all just excited to his potential.

“so if you’re looking for the ceiling case it’s Dirk with more bulk, potentially more athleticism and all nba level defense.”

Funny, cause when I witnessed Dirk win a championship to Kevin Durant taking over in the league, my friends and I said how KD is the black Dirk lol

15. fattz

fattz Member

Wow just wow. The most important thing is Jabari is a Rocket.

16. conquistador#11

Absurd that people want all their power forwards to handle the rock like Van Exel. Different styles make fights. He can Eurostep and jab step so he has the foundation to improve footwork on offense.

17. Scarface281

Lol just having fun with the comparison. we're all happy to have this kid as a Rocket

18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

It would take a lot of cosmetic surgery

19. StevieCrossover

No jabari is more athletic and not as tall as dirk. Jabari would have to jump an extra 2 or so inch to get a dirk jump shot. Dirk doesnt even look like he has any hang time with the 1 legged shot, probably shoot over most players without having to jump.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

6’10 Klay

Rudyc281 likes this.