1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Talking Rockets with Jonathan Feigen

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 27, 2022.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Okay,
    Over the years I have been critical of Feigen because I felt like he was more of a rockets cheerleader or sometimes apologist rather than a hard nose journalist willing to ask tough questions and challenge the company line. But what a fun listen. Clearly a good guy; clearly someone who has seen so much and we should respect his experience and wisdom accumulated during his career. What came across plainly is his love for what he does. How can you not respect that.

it was the most fun interview I’ve heard in a very very long time. Lots of interesting pearls of info too. I highly recommend folks listen.

I think we can confirm that the rockets are not as down on Paolo as Clutch is ;)

3. xaos

xaos Member

Before I listen, did you ask what his clutchfans username is? These are the tough questions here

4. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

Rockets wanted a top 3 pick. We're getting what's left of Chet, Jabari and Paolo.

I'm good with that. Don't overthink. Pick a high upside player. Be patient. Build your team.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Wow! Great interview with Jonathan, @Clutch. He couldn't have been more gracious, more willing to talk about the Rockets, the organization, other teams, their people. It was fascinating. It truly was. He was like a window going back into the 90's not only about the Rockets, but how the league was then, how the players interacted with the media. Jon couldn't have been nicer. I'm still digesting all the things the two of you talked about. You did a great job, and boy, did he deliver.

6. Spooner

Spooner Member

The nugget I found most interesting.

Rockets view Daishen Nix as 1st rounder and a top 10 pick in this draft. Hard to argue with that after his G league performance last year as a teenager. What a find and I absolutely love the Rockets feel that way about him!

7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

If they truly feel that way, guard depth is crazy and right now.
    KPJ, Green, JC, Nix, Ego, Schroeder?

Chuck Nevitt, D-rock and Aruba77 like this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

So no chance of TyTy Washington at #17.

Whew!

The Rudy T and D'Antoni musings were also interesting. Would have liked to hear more.

And Feigen, like Clutch, is a Jabari fan.

#8 D-rock, May 27, 2022
    Last edited: May 27, 2022
    Deckard, lionaire, Clutch and 2 others like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

LOL If someone right now offered the Rockets a top 10 pick for Nix, his ass would be shoved in the overhead luggage of a Southwestern Airliner.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Actually they both laughed at how silly they thought people are who bring up fit over BPA

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The biggest thing that stood out to me while listening to this is the 2023 FA class, man that thing really is bone dry and there's still going to be a lot of extensions done as well

I only found one player interesting in RFA DeAndre Hunter, and we would have to overpay quite a bit to get the Hawks to not match.

wlekfjv923n and Aruba77 like this.
  12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

What an awesome listen. It's nice to actually hear a journalist who can story-tell speak after reading 10,000 randos on Twitter pretending to be "insiders" or full of knowledge. This was actually fun to listen to. I'm more curious to see what the follow-up question he expected people to ask was? Is it what 12th profession suggested to him was since 11 were journalism-related?

BTW, Mr. Feigen, if you read the board, please write a book one day about your career covering the Rockets. I'd definitely buy it.

13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Does it mean they think highly of Nix or that this draft really sucks? I think Feigen probably got that one wrong.

14. Rokman

Rokman Member

Good question.

wlekfjv923n likes this.
  15. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

Quick AF lol, that statement along is artificial hype

Nook likes this.
  16. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Well, I wouldn't include Schroeder. Ego will probably be traded at some point as well. But, more importantly, they will likely continue to play a guard at SF.

Also, I don't think people get that we will have some young players that fizzle out and end up out of the rotation indefinitely. Not every player we draft or develop will be here for the long haul. Some of these guys only look like good prospects because we're a terrible team. As the team improves you'll start to see more separation between our young players on the team.

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That first part is what’s scary, I’m tired of these undersized lineups. They don’t score enough to offset the piss poor defense and rebounding.

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Also, playing 3 guards pretty much relegated Paolo to the 4, limits the options at your big man rotation.
    It’s not a smart move.

19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I would hate it if Gordon is in the starting lineup for this team. Going with a three guard lineup when a matchup dictates it is fine, but not as constant. Now if the the third “guard” was someone able to play the position with very good to elite defense that changes things a bit. Is 6’ 8” Dyson Daniels a guard? Is KPJ a good enough defender of sf’s, I’m not sure. If Banchero is the pick we need a lock down defender at the position and the preference for me would be someone with length.

Nook, raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  20. TheBeastSystem

Daishen Nix is a better point guard than everybody's guy, Kevin Porter Jr.