1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Kevin Porter Jr. a PLUS defender??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JayZ750, May 5, 2022.

?

Is Kevin Porter Jr. a PLUS defender??

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

25 vote(s)
    43.9%
  3. Not now, but he definitely will be

13 vote(s)
    22.8%
  1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I have not done the analysis or put a lot of thought into, so I am curious others views?

Clearly, the name of the game in the current NBA is lanky wings, offense that moves the ball, and disruptive defense, either at the rim, on the wings, or everywhere.

I'm not a huge fan of KPJ because he doesn't fit into the ball movement culture. But I recognize trends change, he's better off ball, he had a great close to the season, and if he just can really study where he's good offensively (less thinking, more quick action) and eliminate where he's bad (too much dribble dribble) he can be fine.

But where he could theoretically be even more valuable is defensively. He has the size and athleticism. I've seen plenty on twitter here and there about how players shoot poorly when he's guarding them, etc. Is the bball IQ there though?

Hmmmm...??

don grahamleone likes this.
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If you put value on RAPTOR Porter's overall RAPTOR score on defense for 21/22 was -0.1. As a Rocket last year, his defense RAPTOR score was -3.7.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/nba-player-ratings/

Defense BPM improved from -2.4 last year to -1.6 this year.

Statistically Porter's not a plus defender right now but he's made strides in improving on that end. I wouldn't say he's elite as some on here wanted to label him but, when compared to the rest of the roster, he's definitely one of our best defenders.

3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

In one of the other threads, he was rated as the fifth best backcourt one on one defender in the NBA. I can't find it and not sure what the source was. My eye test that he is very close to being elite and is definitely our best defender including Tate who is overated in my opinion, because of his propensity to file and being unable to guard normal height PF's or rebound effectively.

don grahamleone and red5rocket like this.
  4. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I am not a big fan of him either, especially at the pg but he is improving. His half court one on one defense is good. Other things not so much, transition defense, team defense, being always alert etc.

Corrosion likes this.
  5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He's not horrible. It's hard for me to give a firm assessment on anyone here as an individual defender because we are such a terrible team. He has shown some flashes of playing good one on one defense, but it's not consistent and there is obviously much more to defense than just that.

The most definitive thing I can say that is that his height and strength relative to other PGs guarantees he won't be one of the worst defensive PGs in the league. But that's as far as I'll go at this point.

JusBleezy and jiggyfly like this.
  6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

KPjr's on his way to becoming a beast on the defensive end.

JusBleezy and D-rock like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

He's definitely not at the elite level some try to make him out to be around here. He's capable in some aspects but he still has a ways to go to be labeled as a consistent plus defender.

clutchdabear likes this.
  8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

When he plays D he's great. When he pouts because he didn't get a call on the other end of the floor he's worse than terrible.

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You just described 50% of the NBA.

fattz, red5rocket and Denovo like this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

It’s hard to judge any player individually, the team as a whole is so bad defensively.
    Coaching plays a big role.

Dopamine, clutchdabear, fattz and 6 others like this.
  11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I'm not concerned with the rest of the NBA and frankly his pout levels are off the charts. The top 1% of your 50%.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  12. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Here's the points per possession when defending in isolation for Rocket's players last season:

Green 0.66
    Martin 0.76
    Gordon 0.81
    Wood 0.86
    Christopher 0.90
    Sengun 0.97
    Mathews 1.06
    Tate 1.07
    Porter 1.08
    Nwaba 1.82

In isolation we're actually not too bad. It's our team defense that's the issue.

clutchdabear, JusBleezy, HP3 and 6 others like this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

If you say so.:rolleyes:

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly.
    System and communication is terrible

15. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

No, but seemed to get a little better this year from last year so that's something.

D-rock likes this.
  16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He has zero team defensive instincts. He's a gambler that falls a sleep and ball watches ala Westbrook.

clutchdabear and cmoak1982 like this.
  17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Most of the team is the same way.

red5rocket likes this.
  18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Correct except for maybe Tate. You could blame it on experience but KPJ is 22 years old. He isn't new to basketball.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

interesting stat from top to bottom. Green allowing least, Sengun better than Tate, kpj the worst and nwaba complete outlier. Wonder the total number of isos for each player.

20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Great topic! KPJ has all the tools to be a great defender one day, and I most definitely think he is a plus defender today. He might have been the best defender early in the season. I found it interesting to sift through some of the team stats while digging around:

https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/li...-statistically-in-the-2021-22-regular-season/

D-rock and No Worries like this.