1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Athletic - Kelly Iko] Rockets Trade Deadline notebook 1.0

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by joshuaao, Jan 24, 2022.

1. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Wall
    Gordon
    More at The Athletic

BigMaloe, FLASH21, BamBam and 14 others like this.
  2. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Just like every trade deadline we have experienced since Tillman took over as owner. Be prepared to be disappointed. I am fully expecting everyone I want to be traded to still be on this team. Idiot Tillman probably thinks we have a shot at the playoffs.

BigMaloe, aaquaa, jerryclark and 12 others like this.
  3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

That's wild. How bad are these offers?

BigMaloe, clos4life, DeBeards and 5 others like this.
  4. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

Oh man. Hope this is posturing. Gordon could be a huge pickup for someone, he's shooting the ball unbelievably. Yes he has one more year on his contract after this but that should hardly be a dealbreaker. This doesn't make much sense on the surface, feels like they should be able to get a solid asset or two for him and he gets to be in the playoffs for someone.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

That Gordon snippet is damning

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Stone high fiving Patrick; they got Kelly to be a mouthpiece to spew their sh#t water.

7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Idk what y’all are upset about

I wouldn’t ship Gordon out just to get him out. He won’t cause us to win too many games , and he IS a good example for the young guys .

still a couple of weeks for better offers to come . Sure we are obvious sellers , can’t let that cause us to dump just to dump

I’d want more than a 1st for him

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. Rokman

Rokman Member

I agree with almost everything you say except for the fact that we should get more than a first for him. I think a 1st is more than fair but I don't want a first 5 years from now (Lakers). I want a Toronto first from like this year or next. Not worth it to wait that long to get value back for a guy with Gordon's productivity, especially the way he is playing this year.

BigMaloe, DeBeards, Deckard and 3 others like this.
  10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'm sure teams out there that want/need Gordon are offering expirings and 2nd rounders for Gordon and that's reasonable from their end. I mean, if you're a competent GM, you would call up Stone and say "Take my 1st rounder and be happy with it!" as your first offer. I don't mind keeping Gordon beyond the deadline as I would if it was Wood but I do want to see Eric getting a shot at a title somewhere else if Stone can get a 1st for him this year.

DeBeards, D-rock and xaos like this.
  11. a time to chill

If Stone can't get 2-3 first round picks along with a promising young player (preferably a defensive big) for Wood and Gordon, he ain't working hard enough as a GM.

BigMaloe, aaquaa, arabrocket and 8 others like this.
  12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

If im a playoff GM I would be selling the farm for him. The Celtics, Utah, or Bucks could use more sg firepower

13. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

Would be a massive failure to not trade him now. His value is as high as it will ever be. And if that means a FRP in the 20s, you take it and run.

Sengun, Jaygup, and Garuba were all drafted somewhere within that range. Let’s not get greedy here.

14. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gordon remaining in Houston beyond the deadline is inexcusable.

BigMaloe, BMoney, jerryclark and 23 others like this.
  15. foggy94

foggy94 Member

There are a few people saying they would rather keep EG because he's a valuable vet, rather than take a late 1st.

Let me ask you this, if we didn't have Gordon would you trade Josh Christopher for him? I'd hope the answer is no.

BigMaloe, aaquaa, saleem and 9 others like this.
  16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Utah desperately needs a player like Gordon but I'm afraid their Ainge-influenced front office would rather take a Mario Elie uppercut to the chin than surrender any 1sts.

BigMaloe, Richie_Rich, saleem and 4 others like this.
  17. CCorn

CCorn Member

I’d love the lakers 2027 first. That team is going to have an ugly rebuild once Lebrun retires.

18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Yes - there is a lot of merit in what you say.
    Look at Cleveland and Love. The 'redundant' veteran with a bad contract has become a very useful piece and mentor, and will be off the books before it matters anyway...

For me, the flipside argument is that EGO has a history of injury, plays "in the way" of guys we want to see developed, and is currently at historic highs in terms of efficiency shooting the ball. He has never been close to these levels before.

Tough one - you gotta know when to hold em, and know when to fold em...

Perhaps Stone is posturing to increase value?

19. xaos

xaos Member

No doubt. Anthony Davis can't carry a decent team to the playoffs.

slothy420, aaquaa and DeBeards like this.
  20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Where are the Wood rumors?

jerryclark and mac_got_this like this.