1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's get real about the head coaching search

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Jan 21, 2022.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Let's get real about the head coaching search.

First of all, this is the only real message board I go to. My sports talk mostly comes from here. In saying that, I can't quit the Texans broke back style. Style. Sometimes I start threads with takes that. I don't fully believe in, and I get the optics of that. That. I know a lot of people don't fully respect my takes. I'm all right with that.

Here's something I truly believe though.

When it comes to the Texans and their coaching search, it seems there's a lot of smoke around McCown. I think it's weird that they haven't requested an interview with Mayo or McDaniels. Almost like they will next week and quickly hire one of the two of them, but in the meantime they're trying to convince us that they're looking elsewhere.

As far as someone like a McCown or a Mayo goes, I'm all about hiring someone like that. The Texans are going nowhere for 3 years at least, in my opinion. Time to hire somebody that can grow on the job. It seems like they want to hire a culture setter and surround them with excellent coordinators. I'm fully okay with that so long as the new coach knows that he has 3 years to prove that he has grown as a head coach.

As far as David Culley goes, he was never going to get much time anyways. When you hire a 60 plus head coach, you don't give them a long leash. Someone that has been in the NFL for 30 plus years is either a head coach or they're not. Culley proved that he was not. He was a failed assistant coach at that. He was a terrible hire and was hired because Caserio was attempting to set a culture. I truly believe he didn't fit. I think most fans would agree with that. It's not about race at all, as much as someone to make it that way. That is a preposterous argument. Kudos to the staff for realizing their mistake and fixing it or at least attempting to.

I'm curious to see what happens in the future with the draft picks, the Watson situation, the head coach hiring. It's a crucial moment in this franchise that is a dumpster fire. We are kind of the laughing stock around the league, and this head coaching hire has the potential to change that. It could be a make or break for Caserio if Cal was a competent owner. It would just be nice to have a franchise that isn't laughed at around the league.

I'm on board for McCown or Mayo. I'd love Demeco Ryans, McDaniel, or Gannon as well. I think it's kind of nice that we're not just looking at Patriots South, though I am skeptical that the higher is eventually Mayo or McDaniels.

ROCKSS, raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I think, in spite of media reports, Caserio is truly being open minded about who the next coach will be. He wants a strong personality who will be respected by the players and is smart, innovative and is on the same page as he is regarding the direction of this franchise.

I give him a pass on Culley because it sounds like Janice McNair was the one who pushed to have him hired…but who knows.

ROXRAN, raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  3. CrazyJoeDavola

4. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

5. Two Sandwiches

IDIOT

The head coaching search thread is great, especially for the news and provides. Here. I'm trying to separate out individual thoughts specifically on the fact that we seem to be interviewing these young inexperienced guys, and people thinking that that's exactly what Culley was. It's not one in the same.

I thought it deserved its own thread. Especially considering that two or three threads drive this entire portion of the forum for most of the entire off season. It doesn't hurt to have side threads. It's not like it's the GARM where a million threads are made daily, and half of them are repeat threads.

6. Buck Turgidson

I'm impressed you care enough to type that many words about the Texans

7. Two Sandwiches

I did voice to text, in my defense. Super easy with the Google Pixel 6 Pro (tm).

ROCKSS and Buck Turgidson like this.
  8. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I’m not down with a McCown hire because it screams of Caserio and Easterby wanting to control every little thing. I think Caserio wants to help coach without that title.

I don’t dig control freaks. My boss lets me do what I want because I’m a fully trusted badass:cool: I want a fully trusted badass coach and staff. Who wants to be micromanaged? I don’t and I don’t want the team micromanaged either.

charlieaustin and Two Sandwiches like this.
  9. raining threes

I'm on board with

Gannon
    McDaniels
    O'Connell
    Lombardi

houston19519, mikol13, ROXRAN and 3 others like this.
  10. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I’m leaning Gannon right now…

raining threes, ROXRAN and Shark44 like this.
  11. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

He’s getting a second interview request by the Texans I just saw …I really hope he gets it over a Ward, or McCown

mikol13 and Rudyc281 like this.
  12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

do you have the audio? I need something to entertain while i drive from Cleveland to Galveston

Two Sandwiches likes this.