1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Separate The Wheat From The Chaff

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rokman, Jan 15, 2022.

?

Which Players Do You Continue To Build Around

1. Armoni Brooks (23 yo)

48 vote(s)
    24.6%
  2. Josh Christopher (20 yo)

164 vote(s)
    84.1%
  3. Usman Garuba (19 yo)

70 vote(s)
    35.9%
  4. Jalen Green (19 yo)

176 vote(s)
    90.3%
  5. Kenyon Martin Jr. (20 yo)

112 vote(s)
    57.4%
  6. Garrison Mathews (25 yo)

65 vote(s)
    33.3%
  7. Kevin Porter Jr. (21 yo)

52 vote(s)
    26.7%
  8. Alperen Sengun (19 yo)

185 vote(s)
    94.9%
  9. Jae'sean Tate (26 yo)

104 vote(s)
    53.3%
  10. Christian Wood (26 yo)

7 vote(s)
    3.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Rokman

Rokman Member

We are half-way through the season and have seen enough to get a gauge on who is on this team.

Based on what you have seen, and trusting your 6th sense, what players do you see as the guys you want on the team 3 - 5 years from now when the Rockets are really trying to make a run for a Championship. Remember, vets are necessary too so don't rule them out. I was only able to put 10 options on there so if there is someone else, add in your comment.

The thing I look for is Attitude, Current Skillset, Growth Potential, Work Ethic and Health. There are only a few that stand out to me that make me think they will have that combination of skill and grit necessary to compete.

Who stands out to you?

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Green, Sengun, Jaygup are untouchables for at least their rookie contracts.

Tate has made strides, Mathews led the win streak but regressed, Armoni had good and mediocre moments.

CWood should be dangled for a trade.
    KPJ is here for at least another year.

I am not sure about KJ, for the right price.

hajkov, DreamR and Kevooooo like this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Run for the championship? U mean run for the play-in or playoffs?

Green, Sengun, and JC are keepers for sure…KJ is borderline

Wood and KPJr can go

the rest are whatever…I will lose zero sleep if they’re gone a few years from now

4. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Green, Sengun, Christopher, Tate and KJ are the players I'd build around. Everybody else is either filler or trade bait.

DreamR likes this.
  5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Sengun and Green are the only locks to be here next season.

Tate is a rock solid role player and Martin has the upside of a solid role player. These aren't the guys you worry about until you're ready to win, which we aren't. We should probably hold onto Martin to see if he comes closer to his potential because I don't think he has a ton of trade value right now. Christopher has shown flashes that he can be an impact 2 way player, so you probably don't want to give up on that, even if he feels like a long shot to hit that potential.

I've been done with Porter since he walked out. He will forever be a time bomb, and unless he becomes a franchise carry superstar, which I don't see him ever coming close to, he will never justify the headache.

Mathews is what he is, functional role player. Garuba looks like just a guy so far.

slothy420 and DrNuegebauer like this.
  6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

For sure core players: Sengun, Green
    Potential core players: KPJ, JC, Garuba
    Role players (potentially traded or re-signed at reasonable rates): Matthews, KMJ, Tate
    The rest are roster fodder.

I love Tate as a glue player off the bench. When we are contenders he will be either gone or a solid bench player. He is too short and too poor of a shooter to start on a contending team.

sydmill likes this.
  7. CertifiedTroll

In this order Jalen, Alp, JC. Good to have around also, Tate and KJM, but I wouldn’t consider them our core.

I think RGV can build around KPJ, until his FG% increases.

comrade likes this.
  8. TimDuncanDonaut

I haven't voted yet, but Wood has zero votes right now :D. If taking a temperature, this aligns with how I think most CF would have voted. Green and Sengun and some JC. and less Wood.

Rocket org is open to listen on Wood offers, I'm not sure Silas/Stone are quite there. Think in their mind Wood might still be part of the future. If this poll is given to NBA non Rockets fans/GMs, Wood might be 2nd leading after Green.

If Gordon is traded for picks and prospect, that's offense that has to be picked up by the rest. Same with Wood if he's gone. I know folks feel Sengun can get some of Wood's. Yes our records are bad anyways and quite a few are blow outs. Offensively, Gordon and Wood are Silas' safety blanket. If Gordon is for sure gone, Silas may cling to Wood more because of Wood's offense.

#8 TimDuncanDonaut, Jan 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You've got Sengun, KPJ, Christopher, KMJ, and Green that should certainly stick around. Everyone else is expendable because they don't fit the rebuild window unless the Rockets really hit on a franchise caliber player in next year's draft.

10. a time to chill

Everyone is tradeable. Every trade offer should be thoroughly considered on a team this bad.

Landsdale likes this.
  11. Rokman

Rokman Member

Right now, there are only 4 that I think match the things I'm looking for with regard to guys who are going to have what it takes to compete.

Sengun
    Tate
    Christopher
    Mathews

All other guys right now don't seem to have the level of consistency, skill set or most of all Mental Toughness to fight through the highs and lows for a Championship. In 3 - 5 years, I see those 4 guys as tough, gritty, seasoned fighters that when you put them on the floor, they are laying it out there every play and using their head. The rest, trade 'em.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  12. bmelo

bmelo Member

Im not a big fan of Tate tbh. His 3point is too shakey and for his playing style he is undersized in the NBA

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

No we haven't.

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

All of the rookies got issues, so we need a do over.

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Tate
    Green
    KJ Martin
    Sengun
    Christopher

are the essentials. I’m waiting for Gary Bird to show up again as well.

honestly we don’t even know if we have a franchise guy on this roster. That should tell everyone how far away we really are.

16. anchel

anchel Member

Don't get the hype with Martin. Superundersized PF, not skilled, low IQ, below average rebounder and defender.... Basically the reasons why he was undrafted. Eventually can put some numbers but wont help you win in the long run.

I haven't voted for Wood, but I think he could have a winning impact as a PF (not as a center, where he's too soft) if he works on his low post game.

I've voted for Jalen Green, Christopher, Sengun, Garuba and Tate.

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Only two people want to keep the next Larry Bird?

napalm06 likes this.
  18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Green and Sengun are building blocks.

KPjr can play out top or off the wing. He's quickly becoming a helluva defensive player. for the most part locked in 24-7...As long as Kevin continues to make personal progress, I see no reason why he shouldn't be here. Way too valuable...

As I've said before, I wanted Grimes over JC, but Josh looks to be a solid 2 way starter one day. JC's really more of a 2/3..gonna fill out that frame.

Everybody else, always have your bags packed.

#18 Plowman, Jan 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  19. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I voted for JC, Jalen, KJ, Sengun, and Tate.

Josh Christopher looks good but I don't know about his fit next to Jalen since neither of them can really playmake. Maybe/hopefully one of them can develop into this role but if not I'd think we still need a point guard. Obviously we keep them both for now and see where they go because JC has been much better than advertised, but I do wonder about the fit there. Maybe Sengun would be our primary playmaker with those two guards on the floor.

20. NewAge

NewAge Member

I clicked on all!! Endowment Effect FTW, baby!

burlesk likes this.