1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Sengun gets more minutes, where do they come from?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by harold bingo, Nov 25, 2021.

?

If Sengun gets more minutes, where do they come from?

1. Play him with Wood, figure out how to make two bigs work

31 vote(s)
    30.7%
  2. Take minutes away from Wood, more Sengun at the 5 with no other big

19 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. A combination of the two options above

43 vote(s)
    42.6%
  4. I don't think he needs more minutes

4 vote(s)
    4.0%
  5. I have another idea, which I will post in the thread

4 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

A lot of people, myself included, have been slamming Silas for not playing Sengun more minutes. But we've also complained about the double center lineups, because those have been mostly terrible. Silas decided to only play one center at a time last game, and the team looked much different, much better. The problem there, though, is there are only 48 minutes in a game.

If we only play one center at a time, that means Sengun can only play when Wood is on the bench, which is not a lot of minutes. If Wood plays in the low 30s, that means Sengun can only play 14-18 minutes per game. I don't think it's reasonable to say "cut Woods minutes way down." I get some people want this, but lets be real, it's not a good idea to play Wood less than 30 minutes, and certainly not less minutes than Sengun. I'll include it in the poll but I think it's the least realistic option.

As for the double big lineups, it hasn't been good so far. Wood and Sengun have a -11 net rating together, but the sample is only 140 minutes, which isn't a lot. Maybe there are some specific lineups that can work with Wood and Sengun, I'm thinking maybe surrounding them with shooters? Ego/Armoni/Matthews? I don't really know, which is why I made the thread, I'd like to hear what other people think. I expect this to be the most voted option, but I don't know which potential lineups could work here.

So, what do yall think? Curious to hear others ideas of how we could fit in more minutes for Sengun.

2. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Theis was getting near 20 minutes and SIlas overplays Tate. Tate is a good guy he hustles but unfortunately he cant shoot and KPJ and Green need to be surrounded by shooters. So the minutes come from Tate and Theis.

3. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

It's funny, if we would have kept Kelly O we could have had a rotation of Sengun/Olynyk/Wood between the 4/5 all getting over 30 minutes. While I like Theis it looks like he's not a good fit with Wood. I do think that Sengun and Olynyk would be a good fit with Wood because of their playmaking ability.

I realize hindsight is 20/20, but would prefer we either trade Wood or Theis, and give Sengun a solid 30+ minutes a game. Maybe they're really smart and easing him into the pace to get use to the NBA game, but he clearly can play more than he has been. Fouls are the only thing that can hold him back, especially given he gets very few calls go his way.

Bo6, BallaDoc, aaquaa and 3 others like this.
  4. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Voted for combination. We cannot afford not to play Alpi from a developmental perspective.

I am surprised to hear that. He actually seems unbelievably well in control of what is happening and know what he is doing for a 19 year old who just came into the league. He needs to get more respect from the refs, which I believe will take time. And he will need to learn not fight every battle, try less in some situations. The more he plays the earlier things will happen.

Joe Rocket, aaquaa and hakeem94 like this.
  5. fattz

fattz Member

Change the offense to a high post like the Kings of old with C. Web. We would have Green, Martin & Porter cutting and spacing. Get Wood’s trade value high again and move him ASAP then Theis could also look pick up some stats filling Woods void and increase his trade value at the deadline. Garuba is the ultimate goal as the defense/spacer/screener on the backside helping Green become the beneficiary of Sengun touching the ball on every play. We run a play side triangle with Sengun, Porter and Martin with lots of motion on back side.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Wood is not a backup. So you either play two bigs or you trade him.

Theis is fine as the backup center for about 10-15 mpg.

slothy420 and txtodd like this.
  7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Trade wood for a legit stretch 4 or pure pg

Bo6, MystikArkitect and cdxiong like this.
  8. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

Trade Wood while we can still get good value, play Sengun 30 min as a starter and keep Theis playing 15 min off the bench until next season. Then you trade Theis and start giving Garuba real minutes.

9. jb86

jb86 Member

Give Sengun Daniel Thies's minutes. Play Wood and Sengun together only when they go up against bigger teams.

10. harold bingo

Supporting Member

So you're fine playing Sengun less than 20 minutes in most games?

11. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Trade Wood-
    Play Garuba-
    Sengun can rest at Halftime!

12. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Sengun is a better Center than Wood is.
    Play him at C

Wood at PF stretching paint defenders to the 3pt line, specially when Sengun is playing point center up top.

It might work really well if Wood takes a reality pill and start knowing his role.

Then play KJM off the bench but with significant playing time to play with both.

hakeem94 and juanm34 like this.
  13. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Sengun is a full time 5, I think right now all the minutes should come out of Theis.

In the long run, I have slight concerns on whether Garuba and Sengun can co-exist. Garuba and Sengun as a combination is unique in that they are both very good passers, but unless one of them become a consistent 3 point shooter it won't work. Sengun looks like he's on his way though, which is good news.

BallaDoc and aaquaa like this.
  14. HROZ

HROZ Member

Sengun(24)
    Wood(36) Tate(28)
    Gordon(32) MartinJr (20) House(20)
    Green(32)
    PorterJr (32) Brooks(16)

How I'd be allocating mins. Approx.
    Starters on the left.

I'd start both halves with Sengun Wood but then only play 1 for the rest of the way. Closing with Wood.

hakeem94 and harold bingo like this.
  15. juanming

juanming Member

Play sengun center .. theis his backup
    Martin starts at pf , garuba backup

Tate SF, Mathews backup

Green/Gordon/Brooks

Kpj/dj

This isn't rocket science I don't understand why this is so hard for silas and even for some fans to understand no offense a lot of You Are in agreement with me

But I'm telling you for the 1000th time we are rebuilding we need to play the young guys we need to trade wood simply because some team next year will offer him a huge contract possibly a Max contract... And since we are rebuilding and we'll probably draft a big man in the draft there's no point having wood(unless you're alone with a girl then you need wood)

Ankara1923 likes this.
  16. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

It is 100% possible to play sengun and Wood 48 minutes a game, and be better than 2-18.

Theis brings literally nothing to the table. He should never sniff the court unless we have an injury.

We should go small often, which is why Wood and sengun shouldn't actually average 48 mins per game. You just won't be able to play either at the 4 spot in some match ups, and that's okay.

Its actually extremely simple, which is what makes this debate so amazing. If we didn't have a coach being paid top 1% money making stupid rotations on a daily basis, nobody would even be discussing this.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. juanming

juanming Member

I know exactly what the problem is

The coach and the rockets won't admit it even the media like Kelly iko won't admit it

The problem is that Silas wants to make certain players happy with minutes at the expense of developing the young guys,

if it was just one player I would not be upset but it's about five players here they are

House wood theis Tate Gordon

Gordon I understand because he's on the trade block.. the others I don't understand... although out of the five Tate is the only one that provides leadership that helps the other players... I still think tate should be a backup

18. harold bingo

Supporting Member

Sorry I wasn't clear on this in the OP but I'm talking about how to handle minutes with Wood on the team. This is specifically about how to handle the minutes pre-Wood trade. Are you suggesting we bench Wood entirely? 0 minutes?

19. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

So your solution is don't play our best post player, and then play nobody more than 25 minutes a game because we want to play our scrubs?

Our organization is actually terrible, but thank God you aren't in charge lmao

jiggyfly and Roxfan4lyfe like this.
  20. harold bingo

Supporting Member

If it's so simple, do you mind explaining? I'm not understanding what you think should happen from your post here. Who gets how many minutes, and at what positions?