1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

That Stat You Found Isn't Coming to Save the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by foggy94, Nov 24, 2021.

1. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Hi all,

I got into a bit of a rant here in an admittedly provocative blog post where I tear into a lot of BS arguments I'm hearing. The idea that Houston and Silas have somehow been unlucky just isnt true. And stats like points in the paint, location eFG, pace, shots at the rim etc, have nothing to do with efficient offense. So I went through it all here

https://www.teaandrockets.com/post/that-stat-you-found-isn-t-coming-to-save-the-rockets

ilias, joshuaao, BigM and 16 others like this.
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

My work computer blocked your site and I promise I'll visit it later. With that said, what stat(s) are you referring to?

Jontro likes this.
  3. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Cliff Notes ?

Corrosion and Jontro like this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

the talking point of how many open threes the team generates is the one I always had the most issue with

these non-shooters are being left open for a reason…if we’re getting a wide open three for the likes of Tate, Theis, House, etc, it’s playing right into the defense’s hands

Ramo$e, joshuaao, DeBeards and 14 others like this.
  5. steddinotayto

In the month of October (6 games):

3PA/game: 35.7
    3PM/game: 12.2
    3P% : 34.1% , 12th in the league

In the month of November so far (11 games):

3PA/game: 35.8
    3PM/game: 10.5
    3P%: 29.2%, dead last in the league

Definitely ugly.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Thank you for this post. It's stuff you see watching every game that becomes pretty clear to you while watching.

Not all threes are good threes. Just having mediocre 3 point shooters shoot threes is not some auto-win feature.

Yet we have people that think Wood bringing the ball up helps pace. He jogs that **** up the court every time and any Fastbreak advantage we had goes with it.

"Alperen Sengun is Houston’s best player. Turns out they should play him more."

Another painfully obvious thing...but for some reason we have to play journeymen vets over him. If you're going to play Green and give him starter minutes (which I agree with) you may as well do the same for Sengun.

7. steddinotayto

"It ain't coaching" ;)

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

I can’t see this team shooting more than like 33% from deep on the season…too many inconsistent and just straight up non-shooters getting minutes

Tate or Nwaba from deep is basically an auto-brick…Jalen Green will be good 1 game, and then terrible the next 5…KPJr has long established he’s a terrible shooter…Theis taking threes makes me thing negative thoughts…House is basically a troll at this point…I don’t trust KJ as a shooter

that’s half the roster right there

if the Rockets were generating all these open looks while being a good shooting team, I’d be impressed

alethios likes this.
  9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

"Conclusion

The Rockets are the worst team in the league and they have the worst offense in the league. It's getting worse week by week, and it's nearing 76ers process era bad. Stats such as location eFG, points in the paint, and shots at the rim, have no correlation with efficient offense. That the Rockets rank well in these stats tells us nothing, so don't expect any turnaround based on these alone. If Houston wants to get better offensively, they need to stop playing Daniel Theis, Jae'Sean Tate, and Christian Wood on the floor together. They need Kevin Porter Jr to stop turning the ball over so incredibly often. They might need to actually push the pace on offense, not just when they're getting score on defensively. They need to find better shooters and play them. They need to play Alperen Sengun starter-level minutes. Most of all, they probably need to find a new head coach."

10. steddinotayto

For all of his defensive warts it's puzzling to me how you want to run this chaos, free flowing, high pace offense but don't actually give your best 3 point shooter (Brooks) more playing time. He might be shooting like ass right now but the guy put up almost 40% from three last year playing 26 minutes a night. It's like Silas is incapable of multi-tasking.

DeBeards and Reeko like this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

his complete disregard of spacing is baffling to me, especially since he was just an assistant coach with the Mavs

12. steddinotayto

don't make me pull receipts on the Silas acolytes on here who is giving full credit to Stephen for the Mavericks' historic offenses.

Corrosion, jch1911 and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So after pointing out the negatives and warts -- how can this team make games competitive? One thing to notice the problems and another to apply the right corrective action.

I would think that a new substitution pattern and starters minutes would alleviate some of the issues, but most of these things boil down to just having young players with no direction and a first time head coach who is showing some unusual disregard for teaching the basics and acknowledging the flaws within his team.

Its a bad fit for the coach and a bad fit for the players. Silas would do better with a team of veterans (obviously) so find a bette teacher of the game for the young players to LEARN from.

burlesk likes this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

lol I bought into it a little doing the coaching search, it was good marketing for Silas…I thought at the very least he would bring some of the concepts and principles from over there down to Houston, but instead we play all these non-shooting lineups

Silas trotting out all these throwback lineups that don’t work in today’s NBA

ElPigto and steddinotayto like this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

How does Silas sit on the bench, and later in the film room, and think that Tate, Theis, and Wood on the floor together is ok?

What kind of next gen advanced stats does he have that are showing that lineup as a positive?

I really wish that it’d come out that he’s being dictated what lineups to play, because I don’t want Silas to go out like this.

Alleyoopsy, jch1911 and harold bingo like this.
  16. steddinotayto

Silas has shown to be very hard headed. I didn't watch the abomination called the 2020-2021 season and I've only caught a few games this year but he seems to be against making adjustments. Like that's fine and all if your team is at the top of the standings but when you're riding on a 16 game losing streak and have made only a few "No Sh*t" moves like playing House less....why are you so adamant on keeping things the same?

I'm just hoping he's hard headed because the other possibility is that he's just not intelligent enough to be aware of these things.

DeBeards, Dopamine, jch1911 and 2 others like this.
  17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think the first thing you do is change the lineups. If your offense is to feature driving guards like KPJ and Green then you can't pair them with Theis, Tate, and Wood... Well Wood is fine, I think he should start and I don't think he's part of the problem necessarily.

Honestly, Theis should be the third big or not really be on the team. Wood-Sengun should be the frontcourt with them rotating as center throughout the game and just going small at 4.

Ok, so we did sign Theis and apparently must play him to make it look like we value him...then the offense can't be drive and kick heavy because who the **** are we kicking it out to? Drive and kick doesn't work because as we see, the defense packs the paint and is fine with those guys taking those shots.

So what can you do? Well, a crap ton more PNR and pop. If you look at the biggest teams in the league, 6ers, Jazz, Pacers, they run a lot more of that because it makes the defense guard the big man.

Someone might say our PNR stats show we might not be amazing at it, that's true, but we're better at it than shooting threes and hopefully through practice and doing it game after game Wood actually learns how to set a pick and then get better at it.

I mean for me it's either or.

Either you change the lineup to feature drive and kick or you change the offense to be super PNR heavy. To keep doing the same thing nearly 20 games in now is just stupid.

DeBeards, jch1911 and Verbal Christ like this.
  18. steddinotayto

Remember this is the guy that went on record in wanting the team to be fast paced but also said the more PnR plays the team executes the better it will be. Like...which one do you really want Stephen because both can coexist successfully.

19. juanming

juanming Member

The only stat that matters 1-16

Dopamine likes this.
  20. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah lol reminds me of Lu Dort in that playoff series two years back. Our entire team sat there and watched him shoot the 3 because that's what we wanted. And right now our team is starting 3 Lu Dorts. Of course we're "generating wide open 3s", that's what the defense wants us to do.

I think our "highest free throw rate in the league" is a similar thing. When everyone on the team (besides Jalen) is Shaq at the free throw line, suddenly it's not so bad to foul them. I think teams are playing us super physical all the time because they don't care how many fouls get called, it's not like our guys are going to make their free throws anyway.

#20 harold bingo, Nov 24, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    joshuaao, gah, DeBeards and 4 others like this.