1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Think Tank

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jim1961, Oct 30, 2021.

?

What pick will the Rockets have this year?

Poll closed Mar 30, 2022.

27 vote(s)
    26.5%
  2. #2-3

48 vote(s)
    47.1%
  3. #4-6

22 vote(s)
    21.6%
  4. 7th or worse

5 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

A place to post your thoughts regarding tanking, tank commanders and all things related to what our record is this year.

My curiosity right now is knowing how strong a class is coming up? Top heavy? Light on difference makers? Strong?

I have no clue. But my Tank Thinking is debating how good a pick we need this year? Obviously #1 would do on any day. But is the #4 going to be a worthwhile pick? #10?

Also, if someone in the knowing could post what picks we are receiving from other teams this year, that would be good info for this thread I think.

groovemachine likes this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Hopefully we land #3 so we can get a top prospect like Mobley or Doncic next year

3. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

We should focus on top prospects who play the pg n sf/pf positions.

PatBev likes this.
  4. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

I bet we have one of the 3 worst records but then fall out of the top 4/5 picks. It’s a 50/50 chance and this year we didn’t so I bet next year it does.

Y2JT likes this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You can probably forget a PG with the Rockets' pick. There aren't any PG's that deserve to go that high in this draft, I don't think. There's a strong PF/SF contingency at the top, though. Hopefully we somehow get the #1 pick and Banchero. If we pick Holmgren, we're gonna have stick figures out there playing basketball. Joel Embiid would outweigh our entire starting 5 combined and Zion Williamson would probably eat them all.

The only reason it was a "50/50" chance was because of the protection on it due to a trade. If we had landed anything worse than the 4th pick (ie, the 5th pick), it would've gone to OKC. There's no such protection or owing of picks to anybody in this draft with our pick. If we finished with the worst record this year, we're guaranteed a top-5 pick. If we finish with one of the 3 worst records, you've still got a very strong shot at a top-5 pick.

See here : http://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds

everyday eddie, Rashmon, Y2JT and 7 others like this.
  6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

There aren't any top prospects that play the point guard position in the 2022 draft. Lots of bigs though.

i3artow i3aller and DeBeards like this.
  7. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Right that’s what I’m saying.
    Even with the worst record there’s a 50% chance you end up with pick #5!!!! And I would bet that would happen to us. Gets worse for the 2nd and 3rd worst teams.
    (I didn’t remember if it was pick 4 or 5 that was around 50%)

8. Williamson

I've been hearing some that the top 4 guys in the 2022 draft are the only guys that would even make the lottery in 2021. So that's fun.

9. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Yup had the number two pick in a historically loaded draft that comes around once in several years. Better make sure you picked the best talent…

What if we’re the 6-8 worst team and get pick #10, draft some scrub and sit in mediocrity for the foreseeable future? Well let’s hope things improve and we get another good pick next year cuz this team is straight dumpster fire trash

10. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

Bancho and Chet are the two prizes this year and would be happy to have either of them.

I really like Jaden Hardy, but theres no room for a 2 guard on the squad.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  11. ak99999

ak99999 Member

We have $44 million rotting on the bench in John Wall and a bunch of rookies so we cannot compete with other teams.

We may have the worst record again. #1 draft pick.

12. Williamson

Well the funny thing is we really don't need another big either. Christian Wood and Alperen Sengun are definitely two of the best players on the team. So we're as loaded there as we are at combo guard.

Corrosion likes this.
  13. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

I mean I guess?

Bancho and Chet are more flexible positionally than Hardy imo.

Also, as much as I like Wood I think Stone flips him in the future and especially if we’re fortunate enough to land one of those two.

14. dmoneybangbang

We got competition… I picked 2-3.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

16. Williamson

Yeah. It's going to be very tough to be worse than the Thunder.

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

rox gonna pick it up as the season progresses. we're gonna get the 14th pick and bring back bittersweet memories of darnell maurley

18. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

We would all like to see a competitive team, but we need to tank now . I mean OKC has our picks moving forward after this year. We need at least one more top three pick.

saleem likes this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Its a really top heavy class - Banchero & Holmgren are the top tier , immediate difference makers but there's several other players in the top 7 that have star ability.

There's only one guard in the top 10.

Only two players shorter than 6'8" in the top 10. This is a big man draft class.

I think they end up with one of the 3 worst records ..... Houston , OKC , Orlando. So picking somewhere in the top 7. Exactly where they pick is impossible to know with the lottery.

Currently there are 7 teams with only 1 win.

The Rockets have their own pick and Brooklyn's pick. So very likely they end up with an early lotto pick and a pick in the 20's.

Y2JT and groovemachine like this.
  20. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We'll have one of the five worst records. No way Silver gives us #1. I'm thinking #3.