1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Just a Thought

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rokman, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Rokman

Rokman Member

I was just wondering how much time basketball players actually spend on the court "working" over the course of the season. NOW, i know they spend time in the gym, watching tape, etc. but actual court time is what they are getting paid for, not being in the gym. They get paid for their ability to play in games. I did the simple math of a starter getting 35 minutes a game (no games missed) x 82 and divided that by 60 (minutes) and a starter is only working 47.3 hours . . . . . . A SEASON! So essentially one full weeks work for an average American nets them anywhere from $12 - $45 MILLION dollars. Broken down by hour, that ranges from $250,888 - $951,374 / hour. With 150 starters in the league and 113 of the players in the league making $12 Million or more, obviously, some starters are making $1 - $5 Mil a year range but i doubt there are many - KPJ and Tate being some of the few.

Chew on that.

#1 Rokman, Oct 27, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    hakeem94 likes this.
  2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Mind blown.

palmsnbananas likes this.
  3. xaos

xaos Member

Sounds easy... why didn't I think of becoming an NBA player?

Deckard, Ubiquitin, Easy and 2 others like this.
  4. TimDuncanDonaut

The NBA pay is high because the sport is popular and profitable.

WNBA players make upper middle class money 70-120k annual, money at least the common man can relate to.

Professional runners might just scrape by. Those athletes might have to buy their own health insurance...etc

Ubiquitin likes this.
  5. xaos

xaos Member

I really hope we don't have to explain the basic economics of why an NBA player makes a lot

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I remember a teacher doing the math on what Joe Montana made per minute played when I was in grade school. My mind was blown.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Highly skilled jobs aren't paid for the actual time they perform their work. They are paid for the results their skills produce.

8. Rokman

Rokman Member

All good points and no arguments from my side in terms of whether or not the players in their industry deserve to have the wages they have. It is just very shocking to see the difference in income on an hourly level that these guys pull in. With the amount of money flowing through the NBA and the players being the "product" sold it's only right that they get an equitable share of the revenue.

xaos likes this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

NBA stars are severely underpaid to begin with

NBA players are the top 1% of their craft, and they are not paid for “hours worked,” they are paid for revenue generated

an actor could do 1 film shooting for a couple of weeks and make millions just off that little time spent

Vin Diesel was paid millions to literally show up and say “I am Groot” for an hour and then dip

plutoblue11 likes this.
  10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Can someone calculate how much Tilman Fertitta is paid for an hour of work?

11. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

On a basic level, your compensation is based on two things. How unpleasant is you job? How many other people can do your job. If your job is rubbing baby oil on supermodels, your probably aren't getting paid very much. If your job is something only 1,000 people in the whole world can do and it involves people beating the stuffing out of you, it will pay more.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

take that for data!

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  13. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Doesn't Kyrie lose 300k or something for each game he misses due to not vaccinating? I would do unspeakable things for 48 minutes for 300k.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Would this include a halftime or........?

15. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Although a combination of hard work and natural talent places them in the elite status to be NBA players, it is NOT their fault they make stupid amounts Of money. It’s our fault.

plutoblue11, Jontro and Rokman like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Esp. sports fans are overly concerned, yeah, it happens, it stresses me out if I think about it, so why bother.

17. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Bezos makes about $3,715.

Per second. 24/7/365. Awake or asleep.

That’s about $13.4 million an hour.

Musk making way more than that this year. In fact, Musk now has so much money he could buy every pro sports franchise in the US and Canada and still have a few billion left over.

18. Rokman

Rokman Member

Shoot it's time to get creative. There is crazy money to be made out there. If I could make $3,715 a WEEK I'd be living really damn well.

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

off-topic. I read Musk made 36 billion in one day...

ni**as just moving money around, lol

Rokman likes this.
  20. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Just wait until you see how the team owners, networks, streaming services, and sponsors make the bulk of the money.

Mind will be blown.