1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patience People, Rome Wasn't Built in a Day and Neither Will This Rebuild

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Manny Ramirez, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I get it - we are going to be bad and be bad for awhile but let's change our mindset and not expect a team that is going to be in playoff contention. Let's set a goal to win more games this season than last season. Let's be excited about watching the growth of players like Porter, Wood, Green, and Sengun. And let's hope and PRAY that this rebuilding project doesn't take years and years like some other franchises (I'm looking at you Kings, Pistons, etc.)

But if you are coming to this BBS to vent about how terrible this team is, then you really need to go somewhere else. Get an attitude adjustment.

2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm glad we're rebuilding as I wanted it under Les.
    I'm not worried about losing games.
    Or this taking several years to get there.

And, I trust Stone...in the long run.

There is one thing that pissed me off at the time though and grows with each day.
    Not taking Mobley....

Milos, tycoonchip, juanming and 2 others like this.
  3. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

#3 burlesk, Oct 21, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  4. juanming

juanming Member

We "vent" because this rebuild isn't being built properly. If u think fans should just "be happy" even when they have the worst coach in history then you are just like Tillman with "shut up and listen" or those racist fans of the Texans that tell Watson "throw the ball and keep your mouth shut cuz your being paid"

If they would run some kind of offense and defense with some semblance of organization then we would not be complaining about the coaching

But that's not what's happening they are running around like chickens with their heads cut off

even if they signed Luka and LeBron they still would be completely clueless on what to do

We vent because we were playing small-ball all last year everybody knew we were undersized we needed a center and possibly a power forward to replace wood and what do they do? they draft a shooting guard instead and now that Center Mobley is making us look like fools

That's why we "vent"

If Stone and tillman would just hired a correct coach and draft the right players we would not be complaining

pippsux likes this.
  5. topfive

topfive CF OG

Unfortunately, not until a couple of years have passed will we know for certain whether Green or Mobley was the better pick. Even then, one could be a late bloomer. I definitely won't cry about us having picked the wrong guy until we have much more data to work with. One game means absolutely nothing.

6. Plowman

Supporting Member

I hear you, top...but, it's not abut one game. Long before the pick was made...

I'm rooting for Jalen. Like you said, it'll take him awhile...I don't think there's much doubt that he'll be really good eventually. It's just I felt the same way before the pick for the same reasons. And to see them already manifesting throughout the preseason and so on is a bit disheartening when I see Evan already doing freakish things for a guy his size and age. I get Stone's strategy of taking Jalen and nabbing a top 5 talent in Sengun, for those two picks.
    Again, I trust him. I'll just have to get over it.

7. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Lighten up, Francis. It has been one freaking game.

8. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just get to the point of what we want to know. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO? o_O;)

i3artow i3aller and Plowman like this.
  9. fattz

fattz Member

It’s not the playing of the players or the picks from the draft. It’s the lack of structure. Not having a game plan or system where the younger players can grow is where my frustration is. It’s like anything and everything is okay. The coach just smiles then doesn’t make ANY CHANGES. We need leadership for growth to happen. Coach needs to coach more now then ever. Maybe it’s happening but I don’t see it. The rotation and lack of coaching from last night was nonsensical, IMO. More questions than answers.

OP it’s okay not to agree with everything that is put before you by your favorite team. That is what the board is for. It’s clear to most that we are in for a LONG SEASON. Most don’t want it end like it started though. GROWTH is a must, that starts from the coach down. I am not asking for his job just some structure.

It’s nice the team is all friendly with each other. Playing some purposeful basketball should be there goal. Win or lose just play with purpose. Growth will happen.

10. MystikArkitect

Kind of agree. When you're a team that's growing you expect to lose. No one is expecting to win. What separate teams at this level is typically shown in the 4th quarter when great teams break away from good ones and elite teams break away from great ones. But in the end you expect to see something competitive and coherent. Like those 41-41 Rockets teams with Scola. Look at the Cavs yesterday. They had no business hanging with the Grizzlies who are a better team than the Timberwolves. And yet there they were in the 4th. Of course they were going to lose but at least they made it a fight. These Rockets don't look like that. The crazy part is the only time the Rockets *do* look like that is when Sengun is on the floor. He literally does what Kevin Porter is supposed to do. He manages the offense as it's central hub. If KPJ could do that it would be great but Preseason and Game 1 have not really shown that.

burlesk likes this.
  11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Manny Ramirez is wrong - we need to blow this rebuild up and re-rebuild.

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It sure did collapse in one

HP3 and Downtown Sniper like this.
  13. SamFisher

It's literally been 1 half day since the season started.

i3artow i3aller, burlesk and HP3 like this.
  14. Plowman

Supporting Member

The Cavs play as a team (with Mobley already their leader), not a disjointed mess. This is to be expected though with so many 19-21 year olds.

fattz and burlesk like this.
  15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'm curious as to how many members became Rockets fans and/or started following this team around the time Harden got traded here (and started his ascension towards Top-75-ever status) because you guys and gals clearly have not witnessed enough underwhelming/losing seasons in lives.

jch1911, burlesk, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  16. SamFisher

Panic people.

Rome wasn't built in a day but Pompeii got the **** kicked out of it in 36 hours and was buried for the next 17 centuries.

17. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Can anyone think of any teams that went through a complete rebuild with a new coach and then kept that new coach once they got good? I genuinely worry that Silas may not be the answer and I don’t know if he’s a good developer of players. I don’t know that he isn’t either, so I’m by no means saying fire him. I just have yet to see anything from him — but I give him a pass for last year because of all the circumstances.

One thing for certain is that Green needs to hit the weight room. I have zero doubts he will. And it may take a few years for his body to fully develop. He is just 19. But right now his lack of physicality is glaring. So we need to invest in some good strength and conditioning coaches, if we haven’t already.

fattz and burlesk like this.
  18. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

There was nothing worse than those years between Barkley’s last year and the tmac trade. After the tmac trade we at least had two incredible players and some really enjoyable team chemistry. I still do the 3 point hand gesture when I hit a 3 — though I believe there is some dirty inside joke behind it.

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

20. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I don't have the facts and figures (apologies to @SamFisher for the lack of quantitative data ;)) but Brett Brown is the most recent example of a coach that suffered through a rebuild and got his team to playoff status.

fattz, burlesk and Kevooooo like this.