1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Winning vs Developing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketeer, Oct 13, 2021.

?

Which one would you prioritize this season?

1. Win at all costs

9 vote(s)
    7.9%
  2. Prioritize development of young players

105 vote(s)
    92.1%
  1. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

I'm seeing this debate in several threads and I thought it was clear what direction the FO is going this season. It's all over their marketing and Stone's push to have "fun" this year, so winning is really not at the top of the priority list otherwise Wall and EG would be our starting backcourt. There's no ifs, ands or buts that they are clearly superior players than KPJ and JG at this moment. But the goal (as I interpret it) is to accelerate growth of our young core to develop them individually and to build team chemistry with our young core. I still think this is the way to go especially after 3 preseason games. The Rockets are still a very poor team with EG and Wall starting, so why not find out at the end of the season what you have in your young backcourt. The consolation prize if things don't work out, is another high lottery pick. It seems like a win win to me.

To me the real questions are: Does continuing to start Green at SG stunt or hurt his growth vs bringing him off the bench and gradually making him a starter? Same for KPJ at PG, etc.

RudyTBag, ak99999, Deckard and 2 others like this.
  2. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I don’t think it’s an either/or situation. It’s a combination of developing players while also trying to win games because winning is ultimately a measure of developmental success.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Some organizations are capable of doing both.

Mind blown amirite?

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Most of Clutchfans wants to tank. I say play all the rookies. No one should go down to the g-league.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Once upon a time, that was the epitome of the Rockets.

The Harden trade allowed Rockets to develop young players while at same time contending for playoffs.

How soon CF has forgotten Harden's first Rockets team:

Beard
    Lin
    Chandler
    Asik

Playoff team, 3rd seed in West.

Corrosion likes this.
  6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Yea like where's the "both" option?

Even if these young kids want to "win at all costs" their lack of experience and need to develop will lead to a lot of Ls.

The contingent that wants to bring Wall back ....that's a special group.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If at all star break you are 5~10 games out from the Playoffs.. . . you have to make the push

I think they will need to develope but that means playing meaningful minutes
    Getting blown out by 20 every night helps no one

So definitely need to push to be competitive

Phil Jackson was a "you learn in practice" type of coach
    Game time being for minor adjustments and seeing things the players cannot see
    I think we can do that

Rocket River

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

why not both?
    garuba green JC need a lot of experience... theyll benefit by playing all the g league games as well

D-rock and DreamShook like this.
  9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Yeah, I'm good with whatever, lol

D-rock likes this.
  10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

They even had their little cute pre game ritual.

[​IMG]

D-rock likes this.
  11. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

We had harden. He alone could carry scurbs to the playoffs. It's unlikely to replicate that type of strategy when we still r looking for our franchise player
    Im down for playing the rookies as much as possible for experience, if we win that's just extra

ak99999 and D-rock like this.
  12. juanming

juanming Member

I don't need a year of this young backcourt starting to figure out they have huge flaws in their games

Starting kp and green sends them the wrong signal they don't have to improve their game cuz they are already starting so no incentive to improve

Benching both kp and green for wall and Gordon is not about winning games, cuz your right they will lose with or without wall.....but we should tell kp and green "work on defense and shooting threes in practice other wise you don't start"

Now will the rockets do that? Nope . They'd look like idiots benching a #2 pick and their egos along with greens ego is preventing this

That's why I hate divas. They think they will avg 30 ppg and be ROY when they are not even the best rookie on their own team

Now theis is different because sengun is obviously better and should start over theis

Can't put all the young players in a box and treat them the same..that would be stupid

The reason I know Silas and stone have no idea what they are doing is simply because they have green starting over Gordon,Josh,and brooks but sengun is benched for theis starting

Shows me this coaching staff and maybe stone are completely clueless

If sengun is off the bench then so should green. Green is 4th best sg on this team..

Hate to throw the race card at Silas but I do wonder if sengun was black would he be starting? Because I can't think of any other reason

I do applaud stone for getting sengun and Josh, but quit showing preferential treatment to green..if you start green to "develop him" then why not start sengun to "develop him"?

Rant over

#12 juanming, Oct 13, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    Imanimal, buzz1701, cmoak1982 and 3 others like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

No one in NBA thought Harden was Harden at that time.

Everyone predicted Rockets would be rebuilding and in bottom of the West.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

Successful organizations should be able to do both. But this team is not constituted to win now, and this is a fact.
    I think the smartest thing is to have one more year of patience, just one more year, and with the next draft move the necessary pieces to begin to consolidate the team.

ak99999 and Y2JT like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Maybe the better question is WHY this team is constituted NOT to win now.

And HOW does the FO make the necessary moves to rectify that.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

THIS!

Sengun can be the new harden, or this team as a whole can be the new Harden

D-rock likes this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I guess the critics were right and the suns just lucked their way into the finals

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Defense matters.

Systems matter.

Balanced rotations matter.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't think we've forgotten .....

We just don't have that special player to drag the others across the finish line anymore and Priority One is to try and fast track the development of "someone on the current roster" into that transformative player.

This whole roster is all about potential ....

I just don't know how much you can fast track these teenagers .... The mental part you might be able to fast track , the physical part not so much - these are teenagers playing a mans game and they are a few years away from matching that physicality.

Dankstronaut, jdjd and D-rock like this.