1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood... Would you trade him? (Fit seems off)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Slabhurta3, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Slabhurta3

Slabhurta3 Member

Will start this off and say he is a nice big. Solid nba player/fringe borderline Allstars. We all see what he can do when he a team centered around him and getting additional touches cause of a bad roster. I mean.... the more hrs I get at work the more money I can get type of thing.

Only thing this team direction won't be centered around him anymore and he saw parts of that late season when the focus shifted to nurturing MPJ. Now with Green here he is even more the non (long-term) focal point. REALLY it's going to be because of Sengun will make him seem irrelevant soon anyways.

With all this being said.....
    Would you guys trade Wood + Gordon for Simmons? (picks where needed)

Wood could be a nice spacer to Embid and hey we could say he is a borderline allstar 21pt 10 reb guy ‍♂️. Gordon is a nice scoring punch for any team off the bench.

Imo I thought he felt some kind of way last season when the team shifted to MPJ. You know how it is with some when they the top dogg, life is great then. Not so much when you are made back into a role player. Will he get disgruntled? He just watched Harden and Wall change they wasn't getting what they wanted.

As for Simmons.....I don't hate him. But what will be our issue every post game....def,def,def. Yes he may be scared to take shots but porter,green and they others won't.

I think just like we letting Green have that starting job we can do the same with Sengun. He is so talented. World be a solid 4 or 5. Very solid defender as well. Him paired with Simmons or Thies and we have a team that will try and go after it on defense. Wood is no great defender, gets pushed around like he wet toilet paper. He just really good at help/weakside defense. He is a very good offensive player though.

Sorry bout the long read but what's you guys take on getting him out of here before time and to fast forward Senguns development and adding a plus1 defender in Simmons?

2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Id rather hire a better coach... a great coach would transform wood into a defensive beast!

VickMackey, ak99999 and RocketOrg like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

4. Slabhurta3

Slabhurta3 Member

Really bro?
    That trade would do wonders for us. Free's up time at the guard position to for maybe Brooks/Christopher. Sengun could get 20-25mns as a rook. Gaurba maybe 5 -10mns.
    Hey we not winning alot noways. I'm watching them for development and chemistry!!! It's going to take a few seasons.

Okay okay okay..... better question. He honest. What's the one person on our roster that you think could turn sour if things don't go his way that would even matter to this organization?...........
    You see all the others having a ball and excited. Let that cat not get 20pts a game and watch.

5. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Only one preseason game!! Only 1 game and you declared him not fit on the team?

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yea he is definitely trade bait.

peleincubus likes this.
  7. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

I do not think Rockets ever had the intention of surrounding the team around Wood, ever! They brought Wood to complement Harden's game. Wood spaces the floor well for Rockets also with 3pt threat at PF/C position besides how he may help 76ers the same way. With chances of Green and KPJ getting doubled team often, Rockets need a player like Wood that catches the ball well in traffic. He is also consistent when healthy. He does not force shots either. I simply do not see how Simmons fits better with the Rockets than Wood. Giving Sengun minutes is no reason to trade Wood. If Sengun makes a solid 1st-year debut then I rather see him starting over Theis than Wood.

Also, 76ers did screw up with Simmons by mishandling at the press conference, but such a no-show and disappearance act does not bode well for Simmons either. I simply just do not trust him. He is no superstar to be acting like this.

#7 Magicsaint, Oct 7, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Really Bro - No.

9. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Playing him at 4 is going to reduce his productivity. His best position offensively is at 5 where he has speed advantage.

Believe It!, Trackwell and hakeem94 like this.
  10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Wood could b trade bait, but I'm not trading him for Simmons.
    We had people btch about harden for being a diva, at least the man could shoot and carry.
    Then we have Simmons btching about starting on a team that was too good. Do not need his negative energy

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yep, he’s 26 and will expire in 2023 as an unrestricted FA. Get value for him while we can.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

yes, attach wood with wall for ben simmons

@hakeem94 pls confirm

13. crenshaw

crenshaw Member

first answer should be, anyone not named (Green or Sengun) is expendable. If it makes us better, aids the two untouchables' growth and spares us from tanking seasons ---- We must make that deal!!

14. Puppet Master

Puppet Master Member

I like Wood but I really hope he takes 1 specific move out of his offensive game

He has a horrible knack of just picking up his dribble and trying to barrel his way past defenders for a dunk or layup.

I mean, it's such an easy move to defend, and majority of the time, it's a turnover (charge, bad pass)

pippsux and ak99999 like this.
  15. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

No.

Especially not for MF Ben simmons.

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Maybe next year.

In the mean time I think you see how he & the rest of your young players develop - what your timeline actually is.

There aren't a heck of a lot of big men with his skill set and offensively I think he's the definition of a modern center.

The odds are very long that any draft pick you get in return puts up 20/10 on 37% shooting from 3 point range and it'll cost you several draft picks to trade for a guy like that .....

The only way I trade the guy is if I decide I'm not extending him when his contract ends and I don't think we've reached that critical decision yet.

Madmanmetz and Y2JT like this.
  17. Slabhurta3

Slabhurta3 Member

Lol. Gotcha bro

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

By the numbers -

Last year 9 players league wide averaged 20 & 9.5

Only 5 of those shot 37% or higher from 3 point range.

That's a player every team in the league is looking for ..... and there are only 5.

19. PatBev

PatBev Member

I probably would after this year. I would really like to see us make a play in game push to build some hype around KPJ & Green for free agent attraction

I’ve never seen someone undrafted with only half a starting season of playing talk like they the goat and being a leader. Wood annoys me every time he speaks because he talks way bigger then his performance

let Sengun be his backup and get a year under the belt and evaluate Wood at the end of the season

20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

How about Sam Perkins as a comp for Wood? Good size, good 3 pt shooter, a little soft, good handles. Sam was definitely a solid contributor on really good teams. Wood should not be traded unless the deal is just too good to pass up. I don’t think he will command max money and we will end up extending him when the time comes. He and Seguin will give us a championship level front court in time. Probably could use a bruiser to come off the bench.

Grizzlyshark likes this.