1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case for Josh Christopher - Possibly Best Value Pick w/ All-star Potential

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Aug 8, 2021.

1. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wanted to post this before Summer League starts, as he may have some mediocre/bad games and cloud everyone's judgement.

The #2 pick was always going to be Green vs. Mobley. #16 and #23 were amazing picks that most pundits/fans agreed were fantastic. However, there's a ~50/50 split on the #24 pick Josh Christopher and how some other players like Jaden Springer may be better for the Rockets.

I think Josh Christopher is an absolute steal at #24 and if it wasn't for his poor shooting performance and injury which cut his to play to only 15 games, he would have been a lottery pick. This is also the PERFECT time to bet on someone with a higher ceiling and lower floor. Christopher actually may have a higher floor than what most people think, so this is why I like the pick so much.

PROs

Defense - 96th percentile in Steals rate (one of the best markers to gauge elite defenders), 95th percentile in defensive rebounding. Work extremely hard on defense to fight through screens, rebound, man-up, etc.

Offense - 94th percentile on attacking the rim efficiency and 88th percentile on shot creation proficiency. 1.373 points per transition (91% percentile). Just watch his highlight tapes and you'll see he has elite handles for someone his size with excellent athleticism.

Shooting - How can this be a "pro" when he shot only 30.5% on 3s? Well, his FT% was 80%. He shot 12-29 (41.4%) on guarded catch and shoots with 1.17 PPP, which is HIGHER than Corey Kispert, Davion Mitchell, and James Bouknight. However, he only shot 1-13 on unguarded ones. There is also small sample size as he shot 59 threes total in the 15 games. This means his shot can definitely improve and he may be able to make difficult shots in the NBA.

Size - 6' 4.5 (w/ shoes) and 6' 9.25 wingspan. Longer than Eric Gordon - 6'3.25 (w/shoes), 6'9 wingspan and Jrue Holiday - 6'4 (w/ shoes) and 6'7 wingspan. 215 pounds at age 19 is bigger than most wings. Jaden Springer is 6'4.25 (w/ shoes), 6'7.75 wingspan and at 204 pounds.

Athleticism - Elite in this category. Just watch any of his highlight tapes.

All-Star Potential - As with reasons above, he is a 3 level scorer with potential to be an above average defender.

Pedigree - #10-12th best high school player by most scouting websites. Remember, this is an elite class where 7 players were top 10 picks in this draft. He is the next best one on the list.

Cons

Shooting - If he does not improve with a larger sample size, it will be difficult for him to get playing time. However, with the reasons above, I don't think this is the case.

Passing - Definitely needs to get better in this category. Has tunnel vision at times. Not sure if this is because of his non-NBA caliber teammates, but this remains to be seen.

Overall

Josh Christopher is a potential 3 level scorer with elite athleticism, and potential above average defender with all star potential, although he is likely to be a really good 6th man type 3/D+ player on a contender. He has shown the ability to make tough 3 point shots with great efficiency and if his shooting is above average, he may be one of the better value picks in the first round.

If he had a larger sample size I can easily see him going in the late lottery.

Credit

https://www.grizzlybearblues.com/20...h-christopher-arizona-state-memphis-grizzlies

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/josh-christopher-1.html

#1 Medicine N Music, Aug 8, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
    Deuce, Richie_Rich, jch1911 and 40 others like this.
  2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't know whether Christopher will be good in the NBA or not, but I do know that I am excited about his potential. It's honestly a lot like gambling. It can still be fun even if you lose. But man, I hope we win on this bet.

3. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Interesting, if he can improve his shooting that will open the door for him in the rotation and career wise. But good post, he brings other things to the table.

Let's see how he performs. Gotta consistently put in the work long term, show and prove.

But I'm on the young guys side to develop.

4. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

If he turned out to be another Donovan Mitchell I wouldn’t complain.

5. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Great post. Thanks

burlesk, 18pbr, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  6. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is where I'm so excited with this kid. People often compare Jalen Green to Kobe (whether or not you think it's fair) because of his work ethic, but Christopher is the same (they even played on the same AAU team). He just doesn't always state he wants to be the best, but he puts in work by most accounts.

Deuce, burlesk and hakeem94 like this.
  7. vator

vator Contributing Member

8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I reserved judgement on Tate and Kenyon Martin Jr last season

I will reserve judgement on Christopher ( & Sengun for that matter).

I do like that Jalen Green and Josh Christopher have history
    and know each other's game well.

don grahamleone and hakeem94 like this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Did any of you watch the Arizona St. games? Any idea how Remy Martin's play influenced Christopher? Could he have deferred a bit to Remy or Remy maybe stolen some of the shine from Josh's game? Remy was a shot-happy pg from what I recall, but coming out of high school, I don't think he was regarded as highly as Christopher was (though they were in different classes).

10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In addition to the mad skills, don't forget this kid has a BIG personality....that's tempered with a professionalism beyond his years...gonna be a force in the locker room.

11. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

I know it’s just the first game but right now I’m not seeing it

12. Ericonomist

Ericonomist Member

He watches too much #8 Kobe.

Bobby Jackson Rules likes this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He does not look like an NBA player at all.

DD

Easy, OpportunityCost and robbie380 like this.
  14. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

Typical blind Rockets fans that only pay attention to if you’re scoring the ball..

Well unlike you…

I love what I’m seeing from the young man..

He is what you consider a dog…
    Like a pat bev or Pj Tucker

BonziWellsGOAT likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

If you like what you’re seeing then you like bad basketball. Obviously it’s his first game but nobody should be telling folks I love what they’re seeing. You shouldn’t

16. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

like I said …Blind..
    Basketball is more than just scoring

Playing hard and competitive is not bad basketball to me..

don grahamleone likes this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

I couldn’t careless about his scoring. His decision making has been terrible all day

playing hard doesn’t excuse you for anything. That’s just a gimmick to not hold someone accountable and address actual issues

18. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

He is 19 and trying too hard..
    Being way more aggressive than maybe he should be..

With that said…

He is absolutely a great pick at 24..
    You my friend need to look at the fact that he is a young 19 yr old prospect

burlesk, JVL713, houston19519 and 2 others like this.
  19. roslolian

roslolian Member

JC is an ok pick for 24 however considering the talent on the board they really could have moved down for more picks and still picked him up.

Moving down to 29+2nd rounder from OKC they could have gotten JC and JT Thor for example. Nobody was eyeing JC there were better rsnked guards on the table at 24.

20. csc177

csc177 Member

Energy guy who needs to focus on defending ppl and being pest, not a scorer. I like the pick. 6'4 Pat Bev - there's a spot for him here.