1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can it happen this time?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NewAge, Jun 24, 2021.

1. NewAge

NewAge Member

Mobley = Akeem
    J. Green = Michael
    C.Wood = Ralph
    Okoro = Clyde

Can it happen this time?

matchesmalone and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

3. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Oh, mais oui, bien sûr

[​IMG]

#3 burlesk, Jun 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    saleem and ApacheWarrior like this.
  4. topfive

topfive CF OG

5. xaos

xaos Member

Can you squeeze rootbeer out of a tomato?

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

yes

burlesk and ThatBoyNick like this.
  7. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Post of the year

8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

9. conquistador#11

10. NewAge

NewAge Member

I'm not saying the level is the same, obviously, but the player profiles are similar at a different level

11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I was thinking the same but different:

Mobley = LeBron
    J Green = Bugs Bunny
    C Wood = Elmer Fudd
    K Porter Jr = Daffy Duck

burlesk likes this.
  12. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Maybe if you soak it in root beer for a while…

burlesk and xaos like this.
  13. NewAge

NewAge Member

Not sure people got the analogy. Let's elaborate.

In 1984 there was a trade discussion with Portland on #2 + Clyde for Ralph Sampson. That would have allowed us to draft both Dream and MJ and have Clyde as well.

Can this same thing happen again?

For example: C. Wood + EGo + House + #23 for #3 + Okoro + K.Love (K.Love's contract)?

It's remarkable how the player profiles resemble those in 1984. That's what I meant by:

Mobley = Akeem
    J. Green = Michael
    C.Wood = Ralph
    Okoro = Clyde

Denovo likes this.
  14. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

When did we get 2 top 3 picks?

javal_lon likes this.
  15. NewAge

NewAge Member

as I said:

16. xaos

xaos Member

So there you have it. That answers the thread... just soak it in rootbeer and it can happen

burlesk likes this.
  17. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I think he’s comparing Jeff Green too MJ

ApacheWarrior and javal_lon like this.
  18. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

I really didn't understand your first post, you're right. Still seems like a stretch that Cleveland would do that, to me... lose #3 plus okoro, two excellent and very young prospects, for one excellent 25 year old big man (on a great contract) and a quality 32 year old guy with some gas left in the tank (roughly even talent swap for Love?; much better contract) and two guys who are unlikely to move the needle very much? Seems to me like keeping them would better serve their rebuild, timeline-wise etc. (?)

Not sure, but they might need that salary relief to resign their young core guys before Love's contract comes off the books(?). I'm being lazy, maybe I'll check later. And maybe Wood could fit well with Allen, if they're more worried about fit, but generally folks probably aren't too worried about fitting their no. 3 pick into their young core, regardless. We don't seem to be, with #2 (though their rebuilding core is probably better atm). If it was a coin flip between two different types of players, sure... They're not in win now mode anytime soon. Dunno.

If we DIDN'T have Wood, would we trade our #2 to get him, cuz he's more proven? What am I missing?

Big for big, fit-wise, Wood for Love (contracts aside) — Cavs win there. Gordon would slot in to be an Okoro replacement (a win for Cavs only if they were in win now mode). The career arcs kinda even out, but Okoro is 20, Wood is 25... If I'm Cleveland I would trade okoro for wood (better player right now anyway, for sure), but... just don’t see enough value in it for Cleveland to lose their pick.

I doubt Cavs want to miss out on J Green OR Mobley, whichever they get.

#18 burlesk, Jun 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    ApacheWarrior likes this.
  19. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Delusion kicking in and we haven't even started a double digit losing streak yet...

saleem likes this.
  20. NewAge

NewAge Member

Yes, you're right. Cavs shouldn't do that IMO, from what I have seen both Green and Mobley have extremely high potential to pass.
    My point was this: the Blazers shouldn't have wanted a big either (Ralph), they should have drafted Michael-freaking-Jordan, pair him with Clyde and figure out the center later... Sometimes teams are just short-sighted.

Sexton is due extension, Jarrett is due to get paid too, so maybe the thinking is " we need to make the playoffs". Okoro and Mobley/Green have top talent but are a few years away. C.Wood + Allen + SexLand will be a more competitive core next year. House is a rotation piece. EGo+ #23 are assets that can add another rotation piece, while K. Love is a negative asset.

But you're right, they shouldn't be doing that. They should actually take a step back: try to trade Sexton for picks and build around Mobley/Green, Garland and whatever other picks they get for Sexton + their own picks in the next few years. They don't pay Allen in that scenario either, no point of doing it. That's what I would do if I was them.

burlesk likes this.