1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Counterpoint: AD was just as 'frail' as Mobley is

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikenm268, Jun 24, 2021.

1. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

For all those concerned about selecting Mobley because he is 'frail', AD was 6'10" & 214lb when he was drafted.

From AD's scouting profile below, does this remind you of any 2021 top two pick player profiles?

"Cons - like most young players Davis needs to add weight and strength. He seems to have a frame that can add a lot of muscle but it will take hard work."

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

AD is very injury prone.

This is the bigger issue when it comes to adding weight and strength to big men. Yao was far healthier as a player until he was encouraged to put on weight.

Mobley is a legitimate 7 footer, you want him to remain light so that his odds of injuries are reduced.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's the fight in the cat that matters. Mobley hasn't shown it against stronger players on offense. His post game is weak, and his jump hook isn't reliable. His three point shot needs to get better too. There is a reason why Cade is judged to be well ahead of him.

4. jayfree

jayfree Member

If he can establish a jumpshot like KD then I'm all for him staying thin ;) He has great form and footwork already

ak99999 and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

All bone. No meat. Toothpick.
    Skips leg day. Does he even lift? @Jontro
    Out here looking like Bol Bol. (“7’2 220”)

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

#5 J.R., Jun 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  6. fattz

fattz Member

Ones center of gravity is what it is. With or with out working out.

dmoneybangbang, saleem and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I agree. Evan is young. He'll put on muscle regardless. Jalen Green will as well. It's lower weight, high rep time for these guys.

D-rock, saleem and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. BreakYoSelfFool

^^False Statement

At the 2012 NBA Draft Combine, Davis measured at 6 feet 9.25 inches (2.06 m), 221.8 pounds (100.6 kg) and had the second longest wingspan—7 feet 5.5 inches (2.27 m)—of any player participating.

D-rock, saleem, Denovo and 2 others like this.
  9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I watched AD while he was at Kentucky and knew with those shoulders
    that AD was going to fill out and put on muscle/weight.

I'm not so sure with Mobley? I don't see the Mobley frame putting on much
    weight for the next 5 years.....duration of rookie contract

10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yao was made to play basketball year round by China. THAT is what cut his career short...and cost us at least one title.

I agree that you don't want to bulk up a guy too much. It depends on body type and skillset. Evan will get bigger and stronger as he turns into a man. His fluidity and mobility are strengths.

11. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Anthony Davis has straight, Wide Shoulders. He did add a lot of weight.

Evan Mobley has slouched shoulders.

His game reminds me Roy Hibbert at least.
    Evan Mobley being picked by the Rockets makes me nervous.

Jalen Green is the most ready prospect by far. Most polished. Can easily Score in many ways, can take off the scoring burden off of Kevin Porter Jr Scoring, Jalen can handle the ball and drive and kick out to shooters.

12. DaneB

DaneB Member

Clint Capela was also just as frail coming into the league. Supposedly Clint still weighs ten pounds less than Davis.

13. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Why is bulking up still a discussion in today's NBA, if all players get in steroids?

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Frail Mobley always looks so sad.

apollo33 and Rudyc281 like this.
  15. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I know, I expect the Rockets will select Mobley and I will end up saying, "I tried
    to warn you Rockets." He will be a #3 option at best on offense and his defense
    is overrated.

Too rich for my blood at #2 pick in the draft.

I didn't like how USC played man to man in the early part of the schedule vs
    cup cakes and PAC 12 teams.....then went to zone about a month before the
    tournament. I wanted to see this great defender against some of the best
    in college go man to man. It's a little different from guarding 5'11" Tyger
    Campbell (starting PG for UCLA) than Suggs or D Mitchell on the perimeter.

saleem, rockets1995 and fattz like this.
  16. TimDuncanDonaut

Ayton is a recent playoff hero. Not long ago...

hajkov likes this.
  17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

The mindset is what matters most IMO not so how a person looks physically.

There are some really big..big men in the NBA who are SOFT. (KAT)

Now while Mobley is very thin and light he doesn't shy away from contact or being physical. It’s just not his game and that’s ok.

But for people to say because he’s skinny and thin or he will get bullied or punished by centers in the NBA while it maybe true one thing is for sure is…Mobley won’t back down or completely avoid any contact or playing physical.

And I do see a lot of Pau Gasol to his game and to a poor mans offensive Dirk just comparing size to finesse game but also players who while won’t dominate low post defenders they would at least compete on the defensive end.

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I don't think AD and Mobley has the same body type at all. AD has really wide shoulders

19. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Mobley is a 'modern' NBA C prospect. Meaning he wont need to be a big physical banger type player. He will need to be agile (check), run the floor (check), finish PnR plays (check), can handle the ball (check), can shoot out to 3 (check), and can switch on the perimeter (check). Add to that he has already shown he has good timing on defense, makes good passes out of double teams, and has good BBall IQ. All of that in a long athletic frame. Players like this don't come along too often, so you get one when you can.

We are not contending for a title next year or the year after that, so we have time for him to grow his game in our system. We KNOW the value of having a long athletic C that is good defensively, we can get one with him. I like Green too, but how often do we see G/F that can score the ball come along nowadays? We can get one of those in the 20s or next year or trade for a young player at some point that is proven. People not giving up there young 7ft athletic Cs.

20. Caesar

Caesar Member

Even Akeem had wiry strength(opponents always surprised by his strength as his size). He had well defined arms and shoulders despite being skinny. It was just his natural build. Mobley looks softer with smaller shoulders, but he's not KD odd lanky build. Mobley shouldn't get huge. His body will naturally gain more mass as he ages, but he should try and follow along whatever Hakeem or KG type of guys did with their bodies.