1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breakdown of our choices at 2

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Jun 22, 2021.

?

Who should we take?

1. Green

223 vote(s)
    59.8%
  2. Mobley

110 vote(s)
    29.5%
  3. Suggs

40 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. rockets13champs

y’all be the judge: who is ur pick?

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm very much on the fence between Mobley and Green.

I feel like Green probably has more upside, especially as a scorer......but I can absolutely see Mobley being a monster at the next level in a few years, especially if he could work with someone like Olajuwon to develop more of a post game. He's got the touch, and seems to have the instincts, he just needs the moves.

I'm glad I'm not the one who has to make this decision.

ths balla, mikenm268, xaos and 21 others like this.
  3. rockets13champs

Yeah absolutely: Green feels like a mix of Booker and Lavine while Mobley seems like the closest thing in the draft to Anthony Davis. It’s a tough pick. But we have seen that Anthony Davis has become the number 2, or 1B on his team. Mobley has also showed that he can coexist with Wood by how he played in the front court with his brother at USC

4. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I think you have to go with Green.

He has just as much upside, offensive gifts and overall potential as Cade just not the god-tier measurables like height and wingspan, though Green is an athletic freak in his own right.

But he is 19 and has already proved that he can hang with at least other NBA talent and prospects. He probably the most ready of the top 5-10 guys.

The biggest thing to me is that we can pair him with 21 year old KPJ and if both turn out, that’s our starting backcourt the next 10-12+ years. That’s tantalizing.

Mobley is good and I wouldn’t be mad but he’s a little more of a project. He would need to bulk up and fill out, but unlike Capela he needs to find that balance so he can keep his quickness on the perimeter.

I think if the Rockets go for Mobley, it means that they are moving or looking to shop Wood. I don’t see how Wood and Mobley fit together.

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

I’m thinking we move the pick for cap space

runamok, awc713, malakas and 9 others like this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Mobley and Wood would fit just fine, Wood at PF, Mobley at C.

In college Mobley played in an almost identical situation next to his brother.

Ramo$e, Plowman, No Worries and 6 others like this.
  7. rockets13champs

Funny

Ramo$e, macho GRANDE and DCHAMP like this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

As far as fit goes Mobley fits better than Gree with KPJ.

KPJ and Green dont fit that well cuz both need the ball in their hands and neither is a lock down pure shooter. If Green had that Booker pure shot then they would fit but he doesnt, he gets by mostly on athleticidm and drives to the paint.

Wood should always be shopped he is 26 next season KPJ, Mobley and Green too young for him.

Ramo$e, Plowman and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

@RHU525 I already donated 100 usd as I lost my bet that Rox wont make the playoffs. I bought gold membership at 75 and then donated the remaining 25 to the tip jar. Not sure if you still need verification I got the screenshots right here lol.

malakas, Amel, Nook and 3 others like this.
  10. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I like Mobley at #2 for us. Long, athletic, mobile, with a lot of room to add to his game over the years. A natural defender with length. We have time to wait on his offense to develop. Green just seems like every other young SG out there. Athletic volume scorer. Not a playmaker nor defender. We can find that type player with the picks in the 20s.

WNBA, Ramo$e, SoupTent3 and 7 others like this.
  11. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

At least we got the number 2 pick to show for it.

Deckard, Nook, Rudyc281 and 2 others like this.
  12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

His "touch" around the basket is one of the main things I complain about him lacking ..... Its also why he's not a very good FT shooter , his misses are bricks ... Hell I've seen a couple workout video's of him bricking multiple jump hooks in a row from ~4-6 feet with no one defending him ....

This is a guards league now ..... Yeah , there are Unicorns like Durant but he's one of the best shooters in the game.

Richie_Rich, Kim, apollo33 and 2 others like this.
  13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Twin towers?

Rocket River

Rudyc281 and tinman like this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's kind of what I was thinking, only a version of them that can stretch the floor and switch defensive assignments without too much trouble.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Worked with Horry and Hakeem

Rocket River

Ramo$e and Rudyc281 like this.
  16. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

All I ask is don't trade this quality pick for quantity picks. I fear our owner may not want to pay #2 pick salary.

17. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Yeah, the more I watch, the more I like Mobley. Watching him handle the ball, run the floor, pass and shoot..... he is not your average 7 footer. This guy has huge upside. When I watch Green, I nothing jumps off the screen for me, just another athletic kid who feels most comfortable taking iso 3's.

Mobley just needs to live in the gym and he will be a monster....on both ends...I am confident he is the guy Stone is going to draft.

13 in 33, Ramo$e, xaos and 12 others like this.
  18. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Green green green #teamgreen

Dopamine, Fulgore and Highlyrated like this.
  19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

One thing I love about Mobley is his perimeter defense, that is rare for 7 footers.

I mean, who knows if that translates to the NBA level, NBA guards are quicker...and of course he's not going to hold the likes of Curry, Harden, Dame...no one can when they are on, but the fact that he's more than comfy switching on them is pretty huge, it makes him pretty versatile so that you can get away with playing him with Wood, theoritically.

At the same time...Suggs has that kind of 'It' thing going. I don't feel like his game translates to the NBA level to the point of him being an all-star...I feel like he'll be a very very good guard that you'd love having on your team, might make an all-star or two sure...like a Chauncey Billups type of guard in terms of impact. Nice to have...#2? I don't know...but he's a winner, been winning all his life, so you kind of hope that will translate.

For Green, he's athletic, has offense, but I do worry that's just it. To be an elite perimeter player you have to do more than score, you have to be able to make plays for others like Harden...or shoot so well that you naturally make plays for others like Curry and Dame...or play amazing defense like Kawhi. I wonder if he has that level to his game or if he's just going to be a more Zach Lavine kind of player. Really nice scorer and umm that's what you say about him.

I'm leaning towards Mobley because I think he's the rarer prospect. You get really good perimeter guys all through the draft but mobile bigs with some skills other than blocking shots and being tall? I feel like there are about 2-3 of these guys in every draft and Mobley is one of them.

20. T for 3

T for 3 Member

You can tell Mobley has a really soft touch as well. The ease with which he rises up to make those little push shots/hooks looks so enticing. I mean those are going to be available constantly for him off pick and rolls, or just after a few dribbles. Then you go even further in and he can finish right at the rim too.