1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you trust the Rockets to full on rebuild the right way?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, May 14, 2021.

?

Do you trust the Rockets to do a full on rebuild the right way?

1. Yes

2. No way. Tilman won't wait.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I realize most of us are still shaken by the sudden fall from Grace and to be brimming with confidence in the organization at this point is a bit much to expect. That said, I have enormous faith in Stone and Silas.(Eli as well)
    Combine that with my intense love of our Rockets and the geological patience of a middle aged man : ) .....What can I say!?!? I'm ready! Bring on the Dancing Horses.
    My only question goes to Tilman. While I'm ecstatic about what he's done for the University of Houston, I wonder if he'll stay the course (as he stated recently)..not trying to unnaturally speed up the rebuild. Obviously, a large percentage of folks around here see him as destroying the franchise. But, what about handling a full organic rebuild? A reset. I don't think it's a foregone conclusion either way. At first, I thought there's no way he'd have the patience for it. But, there is a big picture here, and I don't believe him to be oblivious to it. I'm actually inclined to believe him concerning his stewardship and see us having a solid/winning culture instilled over time.

2. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

nope not even a little bit

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

110% no

jiggyfly, ico4498 and saleem like this.
  4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Good, fair questions.

From a biz perspective, after two seasons of COVID and this injury infested finale of a 6 and 45 limping towards the finish line there must be some hope attached to the next season or there will be no one left at TheToyShop or watching Bill’s shoes being filled.

It will all be determined at the Lotto. #5 would figure hard into any directives.

Plowman likes this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

I don’t take anything Tilman says at face value, because so far it has never matched up with his actual actions

if we keep our pick...maybe he’ll let things rock for these next 2 years since we have full control of our pick

6. dmoneybangbang

I'm somewhere in the middle....

I think rebuilding is advantageous to Tilman's finances as he was clearly over-leveraged and couldn't finance a contending team. I do worry "rebuilding the right way" can only go on for so long before Tilman gets impatient. The nepotism is very concerning.

But I am a Rockets fan, so I will stick around for it.

sydmill, jiggyfly, kjayp and 2 others like this.
  7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

right way for who?

Tilman's right way is to see his account in black

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

It all hinges on whether or not we get to keep our pick. I think if we have to give it up to OKC Tilman will want to try and "compete" as soon as possible next season so that he can turn some kind of profit. If all signs point to the NBA allowing 100% capacity for next season and if we don't get a top 4 pick, I think Stone and the front office is forced to try and put a competitive (e.g. mediocre) team on the floor just to get fans to come to games. That being said, I think if we land and keep the top 4 pick it'll be a rebuilding process much like what we've seen with most of the NBA teams over the past 20 years---hope that your previous year of sucking nets a franchise player and, if not, suck the next year and try again.

Dobbizzle, burlesk, ico4498 and 2 others like this.
  9. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Even a broken clock is right twice a day, hell the Knicks are respectable again, eventually we should luck out into something big. I think this front office has some weaknesses in negotiating trades, but has done above average in evaluating untapped talent. I think they will continue to figure it out just as our roster will as well. Silas is the one guy I do not think will be able to make a significant leap, not sure if there has ever been a coach in this situation who was able to turn it around and be a coach of a contender. Maybe he needs an offseason to work out plays based on the talent he has, maybe he was not prepared for a Harden less roster and needs a summer to figure it out, but so far it looks bad for him.

Ramo$e, bmelo and Big Time Titan like this.
  10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

i have very little issue with the moves to date past the Russ trade.

That was the one move that basically destroyed it.

So I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Also... i don't really know why it matters. Nothing i can do about it.

Same thing when people were/are complaining about Texans vs. DW (pre-massage issues of course). Yeah, the Texans ownership and FO sucks.... great... nothing i can do about that...

11. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

the knicks have been bad for a decade and have the most passionate fans in the league. Not a very good comparison

HP3 likes this.
  12. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

Fertitta & Co. float contradicting strategies. he is basically pushing protracted tanking & not wholescale tanking at the same time. please note, these aren't being presented as alternatives. just straight up talking out of both sides of his mouth.

the amount of trust you place in him is directly related to the amount of feeble in your brain.

YOLO likes this.
  13. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

Last in the league and getting rid of every asset for picks is wholesale tanking to me. They are just praying we get the #1 pick and that person meshes with Porter/Wood and they aren't terrible next year.

14. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

The irony is Fertitta may have a contender on his hands in a few years perhaps out of sheer luck.

I'll wait to judge but it's really hard to be optimistic.

15. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

yes, always better to watch what he does than listen to what he says ... hence no trust.

16. jogo

jogo Member

I'm convinced that the only thing that matters to him is money. He will make all decisions related to the team based on how it will impact the bottom line.

If he believes that jump starting a rebuild quickly will be more cost-effective, then he'll go that route. If he thinks that stretching out the rebuild will save him more money, then he'll go that way.

He will never pay luxury tax. At least, I will never believe that he will pay luxury tax until I see it. Anything related to him talking about spending more to help the team is smoke and mirrors until he proves otherwise.

slothy420, darksoul35, HP3 and 4 others like this.
  17. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Point is it could be time or luck, even w bad ownership. New Orleans has not been a great franchise, but they have lucked into AD and Zion, Lakers FO in my opinion is not that great, but they ended up w three consecutive #2 overall picks and blew two of those and came out w something eventually, we don't have the luxury of a destination market, but who knows luck can defeat bad ownership sometimes. I don't want to be the Pistons, Magic, Kings, Pacers etc. I think Houston is a better market than those based on the team valuation being 50% higher than Minnesota based on the recent sale. This hopefully is too big of a market to be that bad for 7+ years, and we don't have Dolan money to suck that long either, so my hope is progress is necessary or new ownership takes over. We probably wont have an efficient rebuild like OKC seems to be headed towards, but who knows.

BamBam likes this.
  18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

A lot of this depends on Stone. We’ve had reliable and long lasting GMs in the past. We still don’t really know what we have with Stone. I don’t trust Tillman to do anything productive.

19. amaru

amaru Member

Tilman is going to mess this all up. The Rockets are now the new doormat franchise.

Der Rabbi and Downtown Sniper like this.
  20. 18pbr

18pbr Member

Call me optimistic but I trust Stone and Silas. Wood, Tate, KJM, KPJ, Brooks, Thomas, and Kelly were all good additions. Looking forward to this offseason.