1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why are we playing with no plays called?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by anchel, Mar 5, 2021.

1. anchel

anchel Member

We started the year calling some plays, now that are even more necessary because we lack talent, we see no plays called and more ISO game, even less player movement. Is this part of a tanking strategy or what is Silas arguing?

I thought D'Antoni's march would at least mean the arrival of a different kind of offense with more set plays incorporated. More or less effective, but different. It would make even more sense right now with our lack of talent and general disjoinment. Honestly, can't understand. Has Silas been asked about that at a press conference?

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

ak99999 and SamFisher like this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

U really need to ask?

[​IMG]

4. vator

vator Contributing Member

As a much lower-level basketball coach, I will confirm that the preference is always to get out in transition whenever possible and not have to play against a set defense. Playing in the halfcourt against a defense that is set is much more difficult to score on. You encourage your guys to push the ball up the court and get into "early offense" which doesn't consist of a set play per se, but a set of reads and actions that you run through depending on what the defense is doing. We practice this daily. I never want to call plays.

All that being said, apparently, the Rockets are terrible in transition, early offense, and set plays so...

slothy420, BigShasta and harold bingo like this.
  5. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Think about how much more abysmal we'd be if we did run plays.. Letting them run rampart is what makes us laughably entertaining..

napalm06 likes this.
  6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't think there's many set plays being run in the NBA anymore. I remember reading across the league it being something like maybe 20-30% of the game is set plays.

Ubiquitin and vator like this.
  7. anchel

anchel Member

...Sure. Of course the transition game is more effective, and of course playing against a set defense is more difficult. Of course you try to play early offense. Every coach in the world. But. It comes a point where YOU ARE playing positional offense against set defenses, and you are needing some blackboard help to create advantages or good/ different shots since you are not being able to create them on an early offense. Because you neither are good defensively and are really bad at rebounding.

Dissapointing.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  8. Juxtaposed Jolt

I agree with this. Aside from a general gameplan from the outset of the game, and set plays after a timeout, I think coaches just let their players dictate the pace and the plays.

The coaches can guide you, but the players will know what works and what doesn't.

9. Rocket Freak

Rocket Freak Contributing Member

It's hard to fast break when you complain to the refs after a made bucket.

FrontRunner likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

this 100%. The modern game today consists primarily of sets and read and react from that. The various actions from those sets depends entirely on how things develop on the floor. And whether or not 5 guys are on the same page. Of course plays are still called here and there but that mostly comes in situational possessions, out of bounds, out of timeout, key/timely parts of the game, 1st possession of the game, coming out of halftime, etc. But yeah plays constantly being called in a modern nba game just doesn't happen that often

Ubiquitin and vator like this.
  11. vator

Running a bunch of set plays is more of an old-school approach to the game. It's a relic, a dinosaur. Much like running an offense with 2 bigs in the post clogging up the paint. I would say from the high school level on up and honestly even down at the junior-high level now, basketball coaches are being encouraged by the high schools they feed to get away from playing basketball this way. It's all about pace and space now.

Ubiquitin and YOLO like this.
  12. vator

I mean you can think of early offense as a play of sorts. You practice it. It just isn't guys running around all "willy nilly." There are rules to it. It is read and react based, but much like anything you run, the success of it depends on how good the players you have running it.

I'm not defending the coaching because honestly, I don't think the Rockets are well-coached at the moment. They can do better, but I'm sure they work on their halfcourt sets. Talent is an issue along with the poor coaching. If I draw up a play, Wall and Oladipo have a much better chance of executing the play than B. Mac and Danuel House. Likewise, James Harden had a better chance of executing said play over Wall and Oladipo. James propped a lot of these guys up because of his ability to generate offense in the halfcourt and get guys wide-open looks.

I agree with you about this being disappointing. We are terrible lol

anchel and YOLO like this.
  13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't understand why they don't huddle up before the snap o_O

vator likes this.
  14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

You mean John Wall waving guys off and dribbling for 10 seconds before driving to the rim and either getting blocked or missing a layup isn't a play?

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

player drives to the basket, stops in the paint, pivots around and sees teammates open, takes contested shot instead.

ak99999 likes this.
  16. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Yes let's draw a play for the couple of power dancers that we have!

17. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

The smart teams with elite coaching do it.

Anytime I turn on a game Miami, San Antonio, Toronto, or Utah is in, I see tons of actions, creativity, and plays being ran.

ak99999 likes this.
  18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Haha ok. How many set plays is the best offense in the league running?

YOLO likes this.
  19. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I hate this style of basketball. I mean, I get pace, and I’m down with that, but the iso hero ball that results when nothing is there just absolutely sucks. That’s where the movement should come into place, and that’s what I was hoping for out of Silas. We did it earlier, but without any pick and roll options it’s all but vanished now.

anchel and ak99999 like this.
  20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Keep in mind nobody really knows wth a Silas Rockets offense looks like considering he's hardly ever had the same people out there consistently, and I'm not sure we'll see it with the temp players we have. RGV is supposed to be running the same offense, but that's G-League, so I don't know what to make of some of the stuff I see down there.