1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Chris Paul hamstring massacre of 2018.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Feb 24, 2021.

1. jacoby

jacoby Member

Does it still haunt any of you? Man I was so starved for a Rockets championship and of course... Of course that happens. That was my first thought. Something so agonizing can only happen to a Houston sports team. Rockets championship glory was about to return after an upset that the city would have talked about for 50 years. Then Harden and Paul win their legacy defining championships after steamrolling LeBron James.

Poof. Gone. Fluke hamstring injury on the final play of Game 5. Because of course.

I just needed to get it off my chest.

2. HP3

HP3 Member

3. jacoby

jacoby Member

I would've watched this 5000 times if we won the title, but because of how it ended I can't even watch.

fryjol7, cbs1507, clos4life and 7 others like this.
  4. HP3

HP3 Member

Its one of the best Rockets playoffs game...I have watched. Honestly, you are right though, it hurts to know the ending to this story is a bad one.

5. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Honestly, nba wouldn’t let the warriors lose in game 6 and you’d still have to get through Foster in game 7, i’m not sure the chance was as high as people think even if CP doesn’t get hurt.

6. s3ts

s3ts Member

Yao's injury vs Lakers 7 GM series come to mind. That still haunts me. Almost immediately knew Yao was done soon and T-Mac was a shadow by then too.

The fact that CP3 would return the following year was enough to calm me down. But it was a slower drowning.

7. BleedsRocketRed

Greatest team of all time to not win the title.

That is the legacy of the 2017-18 rockets.

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

If only Paul had taken some PED that off season

FrontRunner likes this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

People SCREAM about Harden getting CP3 Traded (Though it was really Tilman)
    but
    Let's not forget the Narrative of the season before

Rocket River

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Chris Paul waiting for a trade to OKC to hit the test will live in infamy.

francis 4 prez likes this.
  11. txtodd

txtodd Member

His hamstrings are now fortified with vegan protein. We had omnivore Chris Paul. :(

BHannes2BHonest and jacoby like this.
  12. BigTex

BigTex Member

CP3 has missed 3 total games since leaving Houston.

Missed 50 games as a Rocket.

13. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

That blown hamstring will haunt my memories until the day I die. I remember having that feeling after game winning game 5 that we were gonna win the whole thing. Then the news came out about his hamstring. It felt like watching your best friend die right in front of your face in military combat.

Dramatic? Yes. But that's what being a die hard fan is about.

Hurts bad man.

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

LTS was our mvp, that hamfsrung* us more than anything

15. gotsis

gotsis Member

Yep, that was our year. Still stings that we didn't take it. Would have put a bow on Harden's and Paul's legacies.

No idea how long it will take for us to be a title contender again, hope those ping pong balls bounce our way this year.

HP3 likes this.
  16. HP3

HP3 Member

Not just their legacy's but Morey and Dantoni's too. My god it hurts just thinking about how much we could have gained from winning that season. 65 wins, beating the GOAT team. Harden,Cp3, Morey and Dantoni all vindicated.....it just hurts.

17. bmelo

bmelo Member

Muscle injuries always happen in sports can't focus on them as justification. It wasn't some sort of accident that was avoidable. Injuries like that are result of muscle fatigue so If he didn't pull it in game 5 he would pull it in game 6 or 7 or in the finals its just the result of overplaying him in the first place. But we had to overplay him to have a chance against Warriors so it seems we weren't good enough to win it all

18. bmelo

bmelo Member

Then he would've get injury like that faster lol I don't think y'all realize how stuff like that works. Tmac hired Grover in 05 summer, took PED and jacked like crazy. He played best basketball of his life for 2 months and then he broke down like ****ing pinokio and never looked the same. CP did all the right things later to make sure he stays healthy more, he was just old ass dude at this point

19. bmelo

bmelo Member

Rocket River and Invisible Fan like this.
  20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Forever. I'll never be able to watch a game from that season again.