1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This year's offense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by aelliott, Jan 25, 2021.

1. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

There was a comment in another thread regarding what people think they see vs what is really happening. Perception vs Reality. That made me curious as to what people do think they are seeing.

So, here's a simple question:

What's different in this year's offense vs last year's?

I'm not asking "who's doing what". We've got a lot of new players so obviously there's different people doing things on the court. I'm not concerned with that. What I want to know is what is our offense doing on the court this year that is new or different?

No wrong answers, I just want to know what your perception is. I just want your opinion, if I want the actuals, I can look them up. What do you see this year that we weren't doing last year.

To be clear, I'm only concerned about offense right now.

So tell me what you're seeing.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Scoring less at a slower pace with a worse defense presents a real change up for opposing coaches.

3. HP3

HP3 Member

Could someone tell me more about what the actuals are now that Harden left. Im being serious. Obviously we are playing better since Harden(the defense) left but I want to know how the offense is different.

4. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

I think it's the same offense, but seems like everyone is less timid and wanting to push the ball more.

hakeem94 and HP3 like this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Less PnR since Harden left.

Pace is nowhere near as fast as last season.

Silas 5 out encourages every player to be triple threats, so less catch and shoot, more show and go especially by role players.

More cuts, which I like.

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

PJ Tucker attempts to make a play off the dribble a couple of times a game. It goes... poorly.

RocketWalta, Corrosion and topfive like this.
  7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

oladipo seems to have the 'green light' in the few games he's played, but his shot selection has been horrid

Nook and D-rock like this.
  8. aelliott

To be clear, I'm looking for improvements. Things that we are working and we didn't do last year.

Not concerned with things that aren't working.

There's frequently comments about liking this years offense better. So what are the improvements?

Rocket River, harold bingo and HP3 like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Here are your improvements.

Stone > Morey
    Silas > D'Antoni
    Wall-Dipo-Wood > Harden-Russ-RoCo

Amirite?

Nook likes this.
  10. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

More ball movement, more cuts,more slashes towards the rim,it kinda seems like we are a drive first,score at the rim first team. We are like the new spurs in a sense,we try hard on defense and pass the ball alot. I still believe we gotta sprinkle a bit more pick n roll and post up cwood and boogie a bit more.

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

we have multiple players from all positions bringing the ball upcourt this season to initiate the offense less predictably, as opposed to just harden/WB/gordon

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. aelliott

As I said, I'm not concerned about who's doing anything. How has the way we score changed? We're obviously not getting nearly as many ISO's and we no longer have Harden's step back that can create an open shot any time he likes. So, we must be doing something different. What is it?

HP3 likes this.
  13. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I will say that it appeared to me that we have had a lot more player movement than in previous seasons. Even comparing this year pre trade and post trade my eyes told me player movement was clearly up.

I was wrong.

D-rock, aelliott and HP3 like this.
  14. aelliott

Ok, but how's that translating into us scoring? Is that getting us more open shots? Is that getting us different kind of shots? If it's an improvement then it has to help us score. How's it doing that?

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  15. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Let me guess, your perception is the only reality?

16. ilias

ilias Member

I’m here for the Boogie attempts at coast-to-coast.

backwardhead and hakeem94 like this.
  17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i wouldn't know where to find data/numbers on whether its something that's improved our offense or not. and we've had so many different active rosters every night i'm not even sure the eyetest would mean anything as well, particually the small sample size of games to-date. but conceptually i do like it when any one of our players can just go with the ball instead of having to stop and look for some designated ballhandler. in theory it should help us get into our offense quicker and present less predictable possessions for the opposing defenses to react to.

hakeem94 and aelliott like this.
  18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

From what I've seen, everyone but Wood has been inconsistent with their shooting. As far as Wall and Cousins go I'm willing to give them time because of their situations. Gordon has been coming on of late.
    Throughout it all their defense has been getting better and better.

HP3 likes this.
  19. aelliott

I'm curious as to what people think.

Im not asking for reality. Reality can easily be found as its tracked by the NBA.

D-rock likes this.
  20. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

More drive and kick..

guys aren’t just catching and shooting but driving more and passing out to perimeter

too bad we don’t have good 3 pt shooters

hakeem94, No Worries and aelliott like this.