1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll: To Tank or Not To Tank

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Jan 18, 2021.

?

To Tank or Not To Tank

1. Tank

119 vote(s)
    57.2%
  2. Don’t Tank

89 vote(s)
    42.8%
  1. finsraider

finsraider Member

Tanking means trading off all players with positive trade value for picks or prospects either before the deadline or during the offseason.

Not tanking doesn’t mean going all in to win. It means remaining patient and keeping a competitive team, even though you won’t be a contender.

Personally, I much prefer the latter, as tanking is rough to watch and we already have more picks than any team not named OKC.

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Not this year , but next year

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I don't think the Rockets have their pick this year. Rockets have to try this year at least.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Tanking means creating a toxic culture of losing when competitiveness, development and responsibility aren't welcome.

No I don't want to tank. I want our young player to work hard, learn from vets and play to win.

6. xaos

xaos Member

Hate to be cliche, but remain flexible. If all of a sudden a star becomes available and victor + picks can get him, jump on it. If young players with potential becomes available for some of our guys, take it.

The likelihood of us going from this team and making upgrades to a championship contender is low, so the most likely route is compete hard this year without sacrificing future assets and tank 2022/2023 with the intention of competing (playoffs +) 2024+

clutchdabear and HP3 like this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Half assed tank top....job.

fryjol7 likes this.
  9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Not a fan of tanking. Wish they eliminated it from sports but this team isn’t tanking for a top 4 pick whether people want them to or not.

No idea if they make the playoffs, but I don’t think this team will be bad enough/lucky enough to have the ping pong balls lead to a top 4 pick.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

TimDuncanDonaut, HP3 and Os Trigonum like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think they make the Play IN.

New format, precarious times.

7-10 seeds. Or come close at 11th or 12th.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  12. finsraider

finsraider Member

I agree. I think this is the understated cost of tanking, all for the very low probability you get a transformational player in the draft.

Don’t get me wrong. If we had no draft assets and a bad team, I’d be all aboard the tank train. But we don’t have to go that route to still have big upside.

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

For those that say tanking creates a toxic culture....

Literally none of the players that would be in the tank would be a part of the next great team we have. You leave the tank when you have the foundational piece.

Consider the Astros, were the past few years of awesomeness worth the tanking years? ABSOLUTELY.

14. Garner

Garner Member

Why trade away young assets for picks to hopefully find young assets exactly?

JayGoogle likes this.
  15. Garner

Garner Member

consider Philly though. Tanked. Created a losing culture. No
    Championship. It’s not clear it was worth the years of losing.

Corrosion likes this.
  16. HP3

HP3 Member

Philly is in a much better position than we are. Lol they have a superstar in Embid and they can trade Simmons for assets if he doesn't work out.

17. HP3

HP3 Member

And the only actual "young" assets we have are Mason Jones. Woods and Tate are gonna leave/be traded in 3 years. You wont be paying them. My opinion is to go all in on tanking. We need that generational super star and that is the gamble worth betting on.

Wulaw Horn and Trackwell like this.
  18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You do realize Philly started tanking the same year we got Harden right? You're gonna tell me that they came out better than we did? LOL

Corrosion and kjayp like this.
  19. HP3

HP3 Member

We got Harden in very lucky circumstances with very competent management. Philly has also had very very incompetent management. Had they kept Hinkie, who knows how good they actually are. They are in a very good position right now.

Trackwell likes this.
  20. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

This roster is too talented to tank. We’ll see what happens in the offseason.