1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 4 pick or Bust!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Trackwell, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

I apologize in advance
    For starting a thread, but this is Not talked about enough...

The goal is to win a Championship!
    That’s it!

Anybody that is rooting for the Rockets to suit up Victor, and for Wall and Cousins to get back into their prime are missing the big picture.

This team is going no where! We might have the worst amount of talent in the entire West.

The ONLY goal right now that makes any sense is to cut your losses and trade any player that can bring any future draft compensation. We should be playing our youngsters and aggressively looking for trade partners for Gordon and Tucker services.

We are not going to be in the playoffs for several years and that’s okay. It’s part of the NBA cycle.

Let’s just put ourselves in best position possible to KEEP this years draft pick (Top 4 Protected) . This is a deep draft class and there is a TON of future NBA Stars coming into the league over the next 4/5 years. We need to be at the forefront of assembling these youngsters!! This is all that matters for the forseable future! Yes We have a nice push start gathering all of the picks in the Harden trade, now we just need to focus on being really bad.

I hope we are patient and take a look at the Houston Astros and follow that path minus the cheating. They were historically bad and due to this became historically great. You don’t have to tank in today’s game , you just have to decide to play your youngsters and prioritize prospect scouting above all
    Else for the next half decade.

Anybody that is rooting for us to make the playoffs is clueless, We would be swept in the first round! Anybody that wants us to see us at least see what this team looks like is clueless. This team is terrible -

It’s all about creating the next dynasty in my mind. I could care less about being competitive if we have zero shot to win it all. And we have zero shot to win it all for the next several years. So let’s turn around , and let’s OWN the next 5 draft classes ....

If we can focus on this... everything else falls into place including being an appealing free agent
    Destination

May the basketball lottery gods be good to us!

Go take a look at the talent on NBAdraft.net for the next two years!

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

We aren’t bad enough to tank.

No reason to trade Wall or Gordon if it’s gonna cost us picks to do it.

JD88, c1utchfan925, Ramo$e and 10 others like this.
  3. Nimo

Nimo Member

Cycle? The only teams in a cycle are the Spurs, Lakers, Warriors, and Heat. Tanking is the easy part, getting back to the top after hitting rock bottom is HARD.

4. HP3

HP3 Member

This guy is right. We aren’t Miami or the Clippers(and even they had bad years). Y’all need to be ready to see bad basketball for the next couple of years. You play the game to win, not just be okay.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Apology not accepted.

6. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

Yes - 100 percent

hou$tonScrew$tonTX and HP3 like this.
  7. Rockets4Life13

Championship or bust mentality will be the death of basketball.

29 Teams don't win it every single year. Time to enjoy basketball for the simple purpose of enjoying it.

That's not to say that you don't give it your all to win it all.

hashmander, catarax05, JD88 and 11 others like this.
  8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Jonathan Kuminga would be in play then.

Wall.............................Mason Jones
    Eric Gordon
    J Kuminga
    Wood..........................Kurucs
    Center?

#8 ApacheWarrior, Jan 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    LCAhmed and Trackwell like this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

Tanking is one route to accumulating assets to hopefully make a Harden trade or draft a Harden.

I think we use this season to setup the tank.

Trackwell likes this.
  10. HP3

HP3 Member

Sorry but this is a losing mentality. You get to be a competitive team by trying to win it all . I’m uninterested in watching a team just trying to “do their best.” You play this game to win. I enjoy basketball. But I can watch other teams for that enjoyment. I want my team to win.

11. Ben Frank

Ben Frank Member

This thread is going to age like Milk..

Worst talent in the West with 3 former All-Stars and a MIP

Guess I'm the only one with championship asperations.. I let my fandom get in the way lol

12. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Yeah law of averages would say you'll win one title every 30 years if you didn't factor in the effect of teams like the Lakers having built in advantages.

Even if we shamelessly went full Process to tank to the worst record in the league we've still only got a 50/50 shot at keeping our pick.

I'm looking forward to watching these guys compete once everyone is here, healthy, and gets a couple of games to gel. If things look bad by the deadline (or maybe even if they don't) I'm sure Stone will re-evaluate.

And if we make a run to the play-in tourney or whatever I'm sure he'll also re-evaluate in the offseason when we for sure have our own pick.

13. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Tanking for a player only works if you can keep him in his prime peak years...

14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Or Jalen Green. Eric Gordon-Harden’s replacement long term.

Bo6, xaos and saleem like this.
  15. Rockets4Life13

In Stone we trust

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Even if we manage to have the worst record in the league, there’s a 48% chance we don’t draft in top 4 (meaning we have to swap our pick).

Playing to lose just doesn’t make sense to me, given that.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Tank this year?

No thanks. They couldn’t end up 3/4th worst record and still not have a top 4 pick. The only way I do it is if there’s a month left or thereabouts and lotto is definite.

not interested in giving OKC a good pick.

18. Garner

Garner Member

It’s ok to have a competitive team that tries to win.

19. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

It’s prolly going to age like
    Wine...

Three FORMER all stars ....
    My money is on that we have Zero all stars this year. Woods can average 25 plus and he still won’t get in ...

and looking at the minutes dispersed since the harden trade , it seems management feels the same way I do

HP3 likes this.
  20. HP3

HP3 Member

Guys do you not see how ridiculous you are being to gamble on Nets pick but not wanting to gamble on getting a high pick this year???? Freaking ridiculous man

banzai, luckyman76, James.B.H and 4 others like this.