1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey comments on roster depth

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MettaWorldPete, Nov 27, 2020.

1. MettaWorldPete

Hey friends,

Morey just did a reddit NBA. Lots of interesting stuff that could go into the NBA dish forum, but this comment on depth caught my eye. He doesn't name the Rockets, but it's hard to not see this comment as relating to the last few squads.

In response to a question about Philly's strengths, he wrote: "I think a strength of the roster that I don't hear people talk about is that the rotation runs deep with quality players. One area that often submarines good seasons is when teams have to play near replacement level players for large minutes. I don't see that happening with this roster."

Morey haters would of course say it's his fault the Rockets didn't have more depth, but his defenders, myself included, would say that's what happens when owners want to save money. Will be interesting to see if we have more depth moving forward, and how deep Philly's rotation goes.

The whole AMA is
    here:

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

You're reading way too much into this. IDDIOT.

roslolian, hakeem94, caneks and 7 others like this.
  3. HP3

HP3 Member

Why? His statement exactly what describes our season right after our 65 win one?

4. MettaWorldPete

To be clear, I don't think he was intentionally "throwing shade" or whatever. I just think he was honestly answering a question, and that answer reflects his experience with the Rockets.

5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Morey will trade the roster depth of the 76ers for stars in a second.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Now THIS is a deep & talented vet bench.

FrontRunner, B-Bob, Ramo$e and 6 others like this.
  7. Juxtaposed Jolt

I mean, his statement is basically a basketball truth. So it can apply to every single successful team, ever. Don't think it was necessarily talking about a particular Rockets team.

This upcoming 76ers roster is definitely a lot deeper than the one from the season just completed, though.

hakeem94, JayGoogle, D-rock and 4 others like this.
  8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Rockets need to let that guy go......stop following him.

Unfollow the Ex. Means you too B/R Houston Rockets.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I’m a firm believer that in this era of the NBA you can only really have good depth on a competitive if you do well in the draft in the late first round/early second and you actually play your young players.

Yes you can get bargain basement ring chasing vets sometimes but you need to be favorites to begin with, and you just can’t bank on that. McHale and DAntoni got VERY lucky that the Rockets were able to score big on bargain vets because they both were terrible coaches for getting your depth to work for you by playing your young players. With McHale you literally had to trade away every other player at a position to get him to play a young player. DAntoni wasn’t much better.

Depth only happens if the Rockets keep their upcoming draft picks, play them, or Harden comes out gang busters to start the season and Stone lucks out with bargain vets.

10. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Well our stars are making 41 mil each... an owner should be willing to spend but stars that really want to win titles also need to understand sacrifice.

11. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Hard to have depth when you don’t prioritize player development or drafting....

hakeem94, calurker, fattz and 12 others like this.
  12. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

Morey is moving on - we should too

BamBam, Easy, DreamShook and 8 others like this.
  13. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Aaaand who consistently trades picks away?

14. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Thats Morey Ball.

T for 3 likes this.
  15. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Interesting. I believe Lebron took a pay cut for the Heat big 3 to work. But then again its Lebron who has the multiple income sources more than the average star.

don grahamleone and saleem like this.
  16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

This is a great thread for his worshipers. There are many on here. Too many.

Rockets come first!

GotGame15, hakeem94, jdhi and 5 others like this.
  17. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

2018 was the year for him. Just didn't happen. The league has caught up. Move on.

18. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Trading away 1st Round Picks and not knowing who is the best available.

Plus Mike Dantoni never trusts Rookies in the Playoffs. Mike would rather have 7 man rotation.

19. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

You are absolutely right Don. Again many fans on this site give him too much credit but then talk about lack of draft picks and player development. Who was this mysterious group of people or person who took away our draft picks or gave up on developmental players I wonder?

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Morey is gone. Unless we’re doing a deal with Daryl, I’m way more interested in what Stone is doing. He’s intriguing. Getting Wood could turn out to be a great move. While I didn’t like losing Covington, we got something out of it, Wood, who may turn out to be a star player for us. I’m eager to see how he plays with Harden. Stone has been collecting young talent and just might hit pay dirt on a couple of them. Cousins is a risk, but a risk worth taking.

Stone’s big test? Assuming Westbrook doesn’t suddenly return to the form he displayed at times during the regular season, plays that way consistently, plays well with the new players, helps win games and we decide to keep him, Stone is facing getting value in some form for the guy in a deal. Heck, a couple of serviceable players on contracts much easier for us to move than the $41 million load Westbrook is carrying would help a lot.

Daryl Morey? I hope he enjoys the theatre in Philly, with Broadway not far away. He’ll certainly enjoy the $10 million a year.

hakeem94, Easy, rockets1995 and 7 others like this.