1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steve Francis Giving Away Turkeys In Sunnyside Today

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pgabriel, Nov 23, 2020.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Me defending Steve Francis, a throwback

Watching the waning years of Barkley ball, i was bored. Then Steve Francis was drafted. I never saw him play even though he won a JUCO championship in Houston before going to Maryland

I first saw him in his first preseason dunk on three SuperSonic players one being Gary Payton. I was hooked

Well we know it didn't pan. I was an irrational defender of him but ive come to my senses on his flaws and limitations

That being said the unfounded accusations of drug addiction really upset me. He isnt the best looking dude and that was the reason for accusations. He looked like he was on drugs

Black athletes are notorious for going broke. Baby momma obligations are the biggest culprit, giving away too much money to friends in sympathy or bad investments and just spending unwisely are right there, and last drugs are the 3 biggest culprits

Francis has done well with his money. Im not saying that solely based on the turkey giveaway

kgw, JumpMan, topfive and 2 others like this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He definitely had issues with alcohol.
    But that doesn’t mean he was a bad person.

RocketRed84, smp, Dacamel and 5 others like this.
  3. topfive

topfive CF OG

If it weren't for Steve and Cat, there would have been a few dark years before Yao arrived. Props to him for helping people in need, whether he bought the turkeys or not.

RocketRed84, GradyMcTracy and saleem like this.
  4. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Classy move by Steve. My fav highlight by him is when he dunked on Sabonis at the Compaq Center. Rockets were horrible that year but parking was free

RocketRed84, Dacamel, saleem and 2 others like this.
  5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Steve would have died on the court for the Houston Rockets.

At the end of the day he will always go down as one of my favorite Rockets for that reason. Wish we could have seen one more run before trading for Stacy.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Makes a thread about Francis giving out turkeys, but leaves no link. Interesting indeed.

7. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was coaching youth league basketball when San Jacinto Jr College honored Francis. Steve and Cuttino Mobley were there that night. I brought all 10 of my players to the event. Cuttino saw us and stopped to talk to us. He led us back to the locker room where he and Steve signed stuff for the kids. Both guys were super nice.

RocketRed84 and saleem like this.
  8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Nostalgic feelings for the Franchise and the Cat. Love em forever.

9. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

It’s the franchise and I’m shining now, you can’t see me my time is now.

10. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I was so excited when I saw your headline because it clearly indicated that he had done reasonably well for himself after his basketball career.

Seems like that guy must have beat the record for time lapsed between a first all-star appearance and being out of the league. It worried me for him.

pgabriel likes this.
  11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

https://m
    A giddyup appearance. Happy Thanksgiving bro

giddyup likes this.
  12. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Good on him. I don't agree with you on much in the D&D, but Francis I loved his time here. We weren't very good, but damnit he was exciting.

pgabriel likes this.
  13. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

If we could’ve at least kept Cat with TMac we would’ve been better. Yao had limitations that’s weren’t his fault and TMac lacked Kobe mentality. We needed a third scorer and Cat could’ve been that. But JVG would’ve still traded cat away if he stay. He had something against Francis and Cat.

It’s not doubt in my mind that him coaching harden and Russ would’ve been a nightmare

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Sorry bad habit jumping threads and posting in wrong thread

#14 pgabriel, Nov 23, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I saw him in Toronto a few years back for the all star game. He signed my rockets hat and took a picture with me. He was super nice, but he was definitely out of it. Hope he's doing well.

16. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

You too! Not being in Houston, I'm a pretty casual fan. The draft was always my favorite part of the season and Morey's style diminished the centrality of the draft for the Rockets. Hope you all stay well!! We have a couple of grandchildren now so perspective changes...

pgabriel likes this.