1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Possible brain-drain from analytics staff?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Oct 30, 2020.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

With Morey gone, I'm wondering what will happen to the Rockets' vaunted analytics staff.

We've already seen how valuable our front office people are around the league, with many moving on to become GMs elsewhere. Now that the man who put together our analytics department left, I'm expecting to see some of the smarter teams move in on the those guys. syphoning off a big part of what made us one of the better franchises over the last decade.

I'm not sure if such losses would even make the news, but it could really set us back even more if we have to rebuild an analytics staff now.

Mathloom, fattz, BigMaloe and 6 others like this.
  2. HP3

HP3 Member

Monte Mcnair already left. I dont imagine will have more brain drain just yet. Though, Im kind of worried about how much say our analytics team will have without Morey.

D-rock and RudyTBag like this.
  3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Eli Witus is one of the smartest guys in the organization. He is now the assistant GM. Rafael Stone is one of the smartest guys in the organization. He is now the GM. They both value analytics and will continue to invest. It's not like we just promoted the beer guy to be our new GM. Morey is still a Rockets employee until Monday so let's worry about who he is going to steal after he's officially gone and officially in Philadelphia.

We haven't heard a peep from Tilman about the hiring of Silas or Morey going to Philly after thirty minutes with his children before he decided his sabbatical was over. Tilman didn't even do his Tuesday appearance on CNBC this week. He must be seething after getting embarrassed publicly by Daryl.

The 76ers have a pretty packed front office as is and you don't want too many chefs in a kitchen. I'm going to guess Morey gets Battier to join him in Philly but I still hope that he is named our President of Basketball Ops before Morey gets the chance to get him for a lesser position.

hongxingli, DaDakota, pr0wler and 8 others like this.
  4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Patrick Tilmanson is the only analytics that we need. What he lacks in brains, he makes up with heart and hard work!

5. malakas

malakas Member

it they get paid well they will stay.
    If say Balmer opened his wallet they would have left with or without Morey being here.

D-rock likes this.
  6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Hey if our average FO IQ drastically declines then maybe I'll get an interview next time I apply!

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

just put Patrick down as the referral. guaranteed it'll go through

Dankstronaut likes this.
  8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That is a good idea. I will legitimately do that. Maybe throw in some quotes from Tilman's book as well.

D-rock, HP3 and malakas like this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

Don't forget to incorporate in some clever fashion on the application to Shut up and Listen ;)

D-rock likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

The reality is that a lot of the advantage the Rockets had in the past with analytics is already gone.

Go look at the Timberwolves, their front office and analytical department is made up of former Rockets employees that were promoted and left.

Eli Witus is still there and he is the one that really handles the Rockets analytics.

Monte McNair is gone......... everyone knows about the other defections as well.

The current GM Stone and Anthony Nilla both are big believers of analytics but they do not crunch numbers.

The Sixers are currently working on getting Shane Battier into their front office at the request of Morey.

The Rockets front office at this point appears to be quite pedestrian......... and lacks an advantage analytically or from a basketball experience stand point.

Really successful franchises have BOTH and that is what Morey is working on in Philadelphia.

Mathloom, Deuce, lilbird20 and 9 others like this.
  11. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

The inmates are already running the asylum on clutchfans, and we weren’t even smart to begin with. Can’t imagine how our front office looks right now.

fattz and D-rock like this.
  12. topfive

topfive CF OG

So don't worry now, wait till Monday. Got it. :D

D-rock and treyk3 like this.
  13. treyk3

treyk3 Member

until he’s officially gone.

I have minimal faith in the Fertitta family but even now I’m surprised Tilman lacked the foresight to get a first round pick out of this. Usually non-compete clauses exist in a buyout. Clearly Morey didn’t sign one restricting his ability to immediately jump into a new job. Hopefully there was something signed saying he couldn’t poach. It seems like Tilman got Morey’d here and I wouldn’t be surprised to find your prediction come to be.

I’m trying to spread positivity when I’m typically doing the opposite here. I feel everyone else has that covered. Patrick needs to realize that he needs a very strong front office to succeed and this isn’t NBA 2K. Hire Battier before Morey can.

D-rock likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Doesn't even matter how smart the FO is.

Russ negates it within a couple of playoff series.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't care about that. I'm just trying to get a job in the front office.

Sanity2disChaos, YOLO and daywalker02 like this.
  16. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Live footage of the Fertitta family after Morey left.

dmoneybangbang, D-rock and Nook like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Hire Shane Battier, he is in charge of analytics for Heat.

Promotion to President of Basketball Operations and more $$$ should do trick.

LOL - I almost forgot that Tilly is broke.

Mathloom likes this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Tbh the Rox have no more advantage analytics wise...they had it a couple of uears ago but the league adjusted thats why you see Moreyball everywhere now they just dont call it that.

The last couple of years I havent really seen the analytics do a great job esp in terms of draft, for every Maclemore and House we seem to let other talent slip past us in the 2nd round, undrafted and waiver wire. This year was esp bad you had Nunn, Christian Wood, Bolbol and Terence Davis all making an impact and all we got was Clemons who didnt really do anything the entire season.

In terms of spotting undervalued talent I dont think the Rox are at the forefront on that anymore I'd trust Raptors, Denver or Miami more to snatch up unknown guys over the Rox.

Lately I didnt think our FO was lesgues above anyone else, with or without Morey.

pr0wler likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Christian Wood is a 5 year NBA vet.

And it was the Rockets who signed him as an undrafted FA when he originally came out.

As for draft picks, Rockets have not had any in any round since CP3 trade and Tilman dumping salaries by packaging with future picks.

Under Les, Morey was able to purchase SRP and occasional FRP.

Not so under Tilly.

You are not the only one who coveted Bol Bol and Kendrick Nunn believe me. Go back and look at the posts leading up to the draft.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  20. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Shane Battier is needed in the Front Office
    For the Rockets, a People person that can connect with players is a huge plus.

fattz, D-rock and tycoonchip like this.