1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When Did Morey want to leave?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HP3, Oct 28, 2020.

?

When Did Morey want to leave?

1. Do you think its when we made the Westbrook trade?

81 vote(s)
    51.3%
  2. Do you think it was after Dantoni said he wasnt coming back?

22 vote(s)
    13.9%
  3. Do you think its when Tillman bought the team?

35 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Do you think it was in the middle of our coacing search?

8 vote(s)
    5.1%
  5. Other

12 vote(s)
    7.6%
  1. HP3

HP3 Member

At what point do you all think Daryl made the decision to leave?

Im inclined to believe it was the second to last one. But I want to know what you all think.

#1 HP3, Oct 28, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    Ramo$e and hakeem94 like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Other?

Dankstronaut and HP3 like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

Other.

It started during the offseason after the 65 win season and cp3's first year. So many roster moves of bad fit and cost savings from then til now. Westbrick was the final icing on the cake

4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I think prior to the Westbrook trade he had seen some troubling things from the new owner, but nothing too alarming. He has dealt with a cost cutting owner before.

I think once the Westbrook trade was forced upon him the alarms were blaring and he knew it was time to come up with an exit strategy.

Coaching search differences may have been the last straw, but the Westbrook trade, in my opinion, is where he really said to himself that this job is not for him anymore.

5. HP3

HP3 Member

Sorry I meant, in the middle of our coaching search. Im just remembering what Jackie(reporter) said about her talking to Daryl and indicating he still wanted to be there or what seemed liked to her.

D-rock likes this.
  6. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Want to leave? He got fired.

He left the same way Rivers did. It was resign or you are fired.

Nelly likes this.
  7. Vivi

Vivi Member

Probably started to think about it after he spoke with Tilman the first time, or after the second...same for MDA i guess, and they both left when they felt it was the right moment.

8. HP3

HP3 Member

That's what the "other" option is for. As stupid as it maybe......its actually objectively the stupidest thing that moron could have done, so Im not ruling it out.

MettaWorldPete likes this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

he got "fired" more like happily quit. understand the difference

fattz and malakas like this.
  10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Well... hmm....

In 2018 :

Report: Sixers were closer than it seemed to landing Rockets' GM Daryl Morey
    https://sixerswire.usatoday.com/2018/10/15/sixers-rockets-daryl-morey-general-manager-rumors/

Discussions with Rockets GM Daryl Morey were “pretty far down the road,” according to a source close to the process, but Morey elected to remain in Houston.

A month ago :
    How serious are the Sixers about restructuring the front office?
    https://www.inquirer.com/sixers/phi...x-rucker--20200917.html?__vfz=medium=sharebar

The Sixers went after a number of accomplished, high-level executives around the NBA, knowing full well that the candidates would want the final say and not be part of a consensus-oriented front office. Yet, their list of targets included Daryl Morey, Bob Myers, Sam Presti, Dennis Lindsey, and David Griffin.

Former Atlanta Hawks president of basketball operation/GM Danny Ferry’s name keeps popping up as a possible candidate. But the Sixers keep shooting that down.

They also denied that they were planning to take another run at Myers. That would not have mattered, anyway. The Golden State Warriors president of basketball operations and general manager isn’t interested in coming to Philadelphia, according to sources.

A source also believes the Sixers will attempt to inquire about Houston GM Morey and Indiana Pacers president of basketball operations Kevin Pritchard. The source, however, believes it’s unlikely that they would be interested.

It wouldn’t make that much sense to go after any of those types of candidates, knowing they won’t come to Philadelphia. Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta said Morey’s job is safe following the team’s second-round playoff elimination. He signed a five-year contract extension in March 2019.

jim1961, Ramo$e and D-rock like this.
  11. psaman17

psaman17 Member

Hong Kong

jevjnd and hakeem94 like this.
  12. dmenacela

I know the difference. You don't

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

apparently not since you seem to think rivers and morey are the same. stick to not posting

14. HP3

HP3 Member

Keep in mind though that despite this report he DID decide and stay with us. I dont think he wanted to leave until AFTER really dealing with Tillman.

fattz and D-rock like this.
  15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

But... that was also for their GM position. What he ultimately accepted wasn't a lateral move. I'm sure there was interest. The fact that it went as far as it is rumored to have gone seems to imply interest, but ultimately none of us really knows.

daywalker02 and D-rock like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

17. HP3

HP3 Member

I mean yea, but as far as we know, Daryl has been on board for us as far as Dantoni leaving. Even Jackie Mac had indicated that Daryl seemed to give the impression he was staying. Then we see reports that coaching candidates were not aware Daryl was leaving. All of this is very sudden. This doesnt seem like it was planned out at all.

Daryl woulndt be leaving us if the relationship with Tillman wasnt as bad as it was.

BHannes2BHonest, Ramo$e and D-rock like this.
  18. dmenacela

This guy is so butt hurt Morey is not around lol

19. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Wow. MDA wanted out and then Morey. Then Morey goes to the 76's on a reported 5yr deal.
    Well if there was any doubt about the calibre of Tilman, then Moreys move says it all.
    I was fine with losing MDA, but you'd think we would've had a plan in place to replace him. But NOPE.
    Rockets are a hot mess right now!

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

i mean you being corrected forces this kind of response is all people need to know about your understanding lol

HakeemOnlyFan, malakas and HP3 like this.