1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need to rehire luhnow

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Air Langhi, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Look lots guy are going to enter free agency. Bregman and altuve look like scrubs. Our pitching staff looks pretty hurt. We need someone to fix it. We know one guy who knows how to build it back up. Is he probably morally bankrupt? yes.

However I don't really care, he was the best GM in baseball. Get him back in here.

2. SuraGotMadHops

3. Nook

Nook Member

Not happening.

Crane is already sick of the media coverage, there is no way he brings him back.

However another team would be wise to look at him hard.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Or maybe we give the current GM we have at least a chance to do his job

5. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Ha, Altuve and Bregman are scrubs? It is a shame they are having terrible seasons but I have faith that they will bounce back. Lots of guys are having bad seasons. I do worry Altuve may never dig himself out of the cheating scandal but Bregman will be able to overcome. I also wonder if Altuve is still favoring his injury. Didn't he have surgery in the offseason?

6. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

I'm with Sealclubber like damn give the new ****ing GM a chance geez

7. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Shouldn’t have ever let him go in the first place. **** the MLB and how we’re perceived. The fact that crane did it proactively is what bugs me the most, the other big time orgs would’ve taken the suspension and moved on.

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This could be true.

I think the punishment (lose of draft picks, implicit demand that Hinch and Luhnow be fired) that the Astros received was disproportionate to the crime. I am wistfully hoping that this offseason that the Commish reduces the penalty (and gives back the picks in the next draft) since Crane has played it straight.

If not, Crane should hire Luhnow back as a "special FU Commish" assistant and have the Astros beat trash cans randomly during their at bats.

Crane needs to stop being the Commish's b****. First the Astros was forced into the AL. Next the Astros was punished for their sign stealing wrong doing and also all of the Yankees and Red Sox wrong doing.

9. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I didn't see the Patriots firing Belichick

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Luhnow built the front office that gave the Astros success. Click has not (at least yet) remade the FO in his own image. There is reasonable hope that the FO will outperform going forward.

The problem Click has is that Luhnow traded away the farm and the League took away drafts picks the Astros needed to sustain their farm ranking.

Click has started out in a hole. Bringing back Luhnow does not make the hole go away.

11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Just not going to happen. I think Crane jumped the gun on both firings, though.

I think the Bill Belichick argument is a good one. Great orgs don’t cower when things aren’t going well. They stick together, rise up and do it even better.

Yes there may have been other issues, so address them behind closed doors and try to fix it that way.

Still feel like the club should have taken their lumps and moved on from it.

12. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

I think he should hire AJ back, too. I know Dusty got the extra year for next year, but Crane should be grateful to pay his contract if he could get AJ back. The Saints kept Payton. I know he won't or rehire Luhnow, but I wish he would. He and his billionaire friends stick together.

raining threes likes this.
  13. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I think Click will be a good GM, I'm just bitter as hell over everything. This was a potential dynasty that was more or less demolished. That just sucks.

14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Still very likely that Crane was carrying out marching orders by boyfred.

raining threes and mikol13 like this.
  15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

While I agree with this, and his tenure with us has been short, what has he (Click) actually done to this point to make us better?

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Its what the other owners wanted, what the league wanted, and thanks to the media, what the average fan wanted. We have been victimized big time.

I do wish I had a glimpse of an alternate reality where Crane refuses to fire anyone, refused to take blame for something (cheating) every team does, and goes on a media binge of his own to expose everything the league has been trying to cover up.

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Sick of all the negative coverage I assume you mean. Having done everything Manfred and the owners wanted him to, one has to wonder if he (Crane) really gained us anything by playing nice? Perhaps lost us a great deal?

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Gotten his manager to use starters in relief when off days permit.
    Forced Dusty to keep playing Tucker.
    Not over-react to small sample sizes.
    Trusted his rookie pitchers.
    Not trade away prospects in a year that will be difficult to win WS.
    Not trade away veterans to jump start a rebuild when future is murky.
    Force manager to rest players.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Did he gain anything? Well they could have tried to suspend Crane or increased the punishment....... but I will say this, Crane did not get what he was told he would get. He was told that the league would have this all be put behind the Astros and that hasn't happened. Crane even hired as manager who the league strongly supported. His frustration is clear, he has said to people "what more do you want us to do?".

20. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

So are you saying Dusty is a bad manager?