1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hello, Aron: The Baynes of Houston's small-ball lineup

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Sep 22, 2020.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

For the veterans on this board, you know how loyal/hardheaded I can be when I zero in on a role player who, I think, can help this team reach greater heights, salary be damned. For those that do not know what I'm talking about please refer to The Otto Porter Movement. Yes, I do think Baynes is definitely IDIOT-material. Now, onto the show....

So why in the hell do I feel Aron Baynes deserve his own glorious thread? Well let's consider Baynes, the player:

1. He's a unrestricted free agent. For Phoenix this past year, Baynes made $5.4 million as a backup to Ayton. A pay raise to the tune of, say, the entire Non-Taxpayer MLE of around ~$10 would be nice for a soon-to-be 34 year old. I'd say we have a more realistic chance of signing Baynes that Ibaka (cost too much) or Bertans (cost too much). I put this point of free agency at the top because we don't have enough attractive assets to trade nor do we have the financial means to offer huge salaries to restricted free agents.

2. He has range. In the 28 games he started for Phoenix, Baynes averaged 13.6 points and 6.7 rebounds in 26 minutes of play while shooting 37.% from three. In fact, this past season he shot a respectable 35.4% on catch and shoot threes. Sure 28 games is a small sample size to work with but if people are ready to drool over Christian Wood's 12 games as a starter......

3. He's tough as nails. Bertans is a much better 3 point shooter but will come at an improbable cost and isn't tough at all. Wood might be available for the same price but could easily get pushed around with his frail body. We owe it to PJ Tucker to bring in a bruiser at the starting center position. We owe it to Russ to have a hulking mass of a big that can set screens for him in PnR. We owe it to James to have another guy on the team that will have his back when the Morris twins take cheap shots. That being said, Aron is also....

4. A solid defender. Baynes can/will try to stop anything that comes his way in the paint, same can't be said for either Bertans or Wood. Having this safety net whenever a guard dribble drives into the paint or whenever a big comes crashing in would be a relief for the team.

5. Intangibles. Whoever becomes the next coach for the Rockets would have the flexibility to run out a lineup of a big at center without fearing that your center can't stretch defenses and the only thing he's really good at is catching alley oops. Also, Baynes is a career 80% free throw shooter so that element of "Big man cannot hit free throws" is out the window.

So who's ready to be a part of the Aron Baynes Clan (aka ABC) Big Baynes Club, aka BBC? ????

#1 steddinotayto, Sep 22, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    metalshred, Deuce, Wommy and 23 others like this.
  2. treyk3

treyk3 Member

He’s realistic and reasonable.
    He’ll be a great back up to Bruno.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This kind of feels like back when we were convincing ourselves that adding Mark Bryant was going to get us past the Sonics.

Deuce, durvasa, Rashmon and 12 others like this.
  4. Juxtaposed Jolt

Paging @Williamson for when Baynes becomes a Rocket...

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'm all in and I believe Baynes best chance to start is by signing with the Rockets.

Tough as nails, does the dirty work and in addition to creating space with his 3ball, Baynes will also help increase Rockets pace.

He will run.

18pbr, Ramo$e, amaru and 2 others like this.
  6. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Getting Hammon as the New coach will help mitigate awful officiating against Houston and help Bayne's keep out of foul trouble.

7. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Harden will turn her into a stripper.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

You may be writing a check that Hammon will not be able to cash.

She is a promising HC candidate, setting such unrealistic expectations is unfair.

9. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

He’d be a great pickup. Definitely on board with this

10. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Baynes would be great. Only downside is Father Time will come calling sooner or later

11. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

She is a woman HC and if she voices her opinion loudly things should work out for the Rockets hopefully.

RudyTBag and Lawlruschang like this.
  12. steddinotayto

If we're thinking the window to compete aligns with the number of years left on Russ and James' contract a 2-3 year deal with Baynes would be most ideal. I also don't think he's going to want to sign for anything longer.

D-rock likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yikes.

Not getting the logic here.

kingjosh likes this.
  14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

He’s solid and would fit well. Depends on the price.

Flipping Gordon + our other limited assets into a better third option still needs to be the primary focus before we start looking at adding more glue guys.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

I think Morey is capable of multi-tasking.

But I agree, EGo trade package is critical.

But not an advocate of trading Gordon just to trade him, need a true upgrade IMO.

Ramo$e, clos4life, Dacamel and 4 others like this.
  16. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I can see Baynes being valuable for a couple of years.

raining threes and D-rock like this.
  17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Baynes is a legit big. So maybe it should be Big Baynes Club?

Ramo$e and steddinotayto like this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Count me in!
    [​IMG]

Ramo$e and Deckard like this.
  19. steddinotayto

Wow how did I miss that opportunity. Okay, henceforth, the group formerly known as the Aron Baynes Clan, ABC, will be officially called teh Big Baynes Club, aka BBC. Please do not google us.

20. psman2

psman2 Member

Baynes will be 34 at the start of next season. He will want as much money over as many years he can get. I guarantee you he would prefer a 4 year deal over a 3 year deal if the per year money is close. This is likely his last contract.