1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The all inclusive potential coach guide (2020-2021)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nook, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

With the Rockets having moved on from Mike D'Antoni, the Rockets will be naming a new coach at some point and the person named will likely come from one of the coaches listed below.

I did not include every single possible candidate, as there is always the off chance that the Rockets decide to name someone with no coaching experience (Kenny Smith) or someone that is a lesser known assistant coach.

I have included coaches from the following sources:

Former NBA head coaches, NBA assistant coaches, G-League coaches, European coaches, and last are former players that have even a remote possibility of being named coach.

If someone isn't listed it is possible that I missed them, or more likely it is that I find the chance of them being named is so remote that I removed them from my list for the purposes of brevity. Also, keep in mind that there are some excellent coaches I did not include because it just isn't going to happen (Zeljko Obradovic).

I have listed them in order of whom I believe is most likely to get the job under each heading.

Former Head Coaches
    Kenny Atkinson - Possibly the strongest candidate to get the Rockets job. He has worked with Daryl Morey before and is well respected for his ability to coach both sides of the ball. Considered very bright and holds his players accountable. The only issue is that he is known to have an ego and wants attention which can turn players off.
    Jeff Van Gundy - He hasn't coached in nearly 15 years in the NBA. Scheming on offense was never a strength of his, but he would set the groundwork for an excellent culture in Houston. Known for compiling some of the best coaching staffs in NBA history. He can really grate on players, but they respect him. The GM also knows he could have a strong professional relationship with Jeff. That is a big deal as the GM did not have one with Adelman or McHale.
    Ty Lue - He has won a title, and he has the reputation as someone that can look a super star in the eyes and tell them they screwed up. He is known for reigning in some of LeBron James' absurd behavior in Cleveland. He isn't known as a tactician but he did make adjustments against the Warriors in the Finals and out coached Steve Kerr. He will expect a lot of money, and likely a fair degree of control over the Rockets. He is a big name and that appeals to ownership.
    Dave Joerger - He is an ******* but he does know how to coach. He hasn't been put in very good spots in Memphis or Sacramento but players played hard for him and he really game plans well. Daryl Morey also thinks highly of him.
    Dave Fizdale - Miami Heat background and had the reputation of getting along well with players in Miami. He doesn't strike me as someone that wants to put in the work anymore.
    Mark Jackson - He really has a strong intuition as far as understanding basketball. He is excellent at making adjustments and is as smart as anyone on this list. Unfortunately he also isn't a good leader.
    Alvin Gentry - He understands the Rockets style of play better than anyone outside of D'Antoni. He was responsible for the Warriors offense and is probably the best offensive assistant in the NBA. There are those that think he hasn't gotten a fair shot as a head coach. I think he would be an ideal associate head coach for the Rockets.
    Billy Donovan - If the Rockets have Westbrook, this isn't happening.
    Brett Brown - He could be a lead assistant for an elite team.
    Mike Brown - Mike has payed his dues, but his style doesn't fit.
    Nate McMillan - He wins, but he and the GM wouldn't last a week.

Assistant Coaches
    Stephen Silas - He has it all. He has coached under arguably the best coach in the NBA in Dallas. He also was the top choice for the GM when the D'Antoni hiring was made. He is more of an offensive coach (he handled the offense in Dallas). His lack of head coaching experience is a concern with a veteran team, but is considered a strong leader. He would require an elite defensive assistant though.
    Charles Lee - He is probably the most in demand assistant coach in the NBA. He is considered extremely bright, charismatic, works hard and is open to change. He has very high upside to be an elite head coach.
    Sam Cassell - No moment is too big for him, and he has paid his dues. He understands basketball very well. However he is more involved on the developmental side.
    Pablo Prigioni - He hasn't been coaching long, but is already extremely well respected. He is very measured and understands spacing. He is the top candidate for an assistant with little experience to come in and lead a team.
    Chris Finch - Already knows Daryl Morey very well and is still considered one of the brightest assistants in the league. He specializes in thinking outside the box.
    Dan Craig - His players rave about him and he is considered a strong culture guy.
    Brian Keefe - Former player that has paid his dues and has a lot of responsibility the last few years. He will be a head coach in the next few years.
    Adrien Griffen - He has been a very good assistant for many years and has done everything. He really deserves a chance to be a head coach, but in 2020 the Rockets aren't hiring him.
    Jarron Collins - Smart, good pedigree and knows X's and O's.
    Ime Udoka - He has a great background and universally respected. I do not have an opinion on his actual X's and O's.
    Wes Unseld Jr. - Hard worker, no nonsense like his dad. You don't get creativity with him but his teams will be prepared and play hard. I suspect he will be a really solid head coach.
    Will Hardy - He is only low on this list because I suspect he is going to replace Popovich. He is very young but has been groomed by Popovich. He has done everything with the Spurs and is considered the top assistant coach in the NBA from the perspective of being a long term head coach. His age would likely scare the Rockets away.
    Jay Larranga - He is just a really good coach. Some guys get pigeon holed as assistants only.

G-League
    Ryan Pannone - Daryl Morey thinks very highly of him. He is about the most progressive coach in basketball as almost nothing he does is cookie cutter. He is primarily known for player development though. He is another high end upside candidate but risky.
    Brian Adams - Very bright, has been with the Clippers for years. He is excellent at studying film and making adjustments. He is someone that doesn't exactly command a room though.
    Jama Mahlalela - A sleeper, that has been involved with the Raptors for years. He has progressively gotten better and really is well liked by his players.
    Darren Erman - He knows basketball as well as anyone. Unfortunately no one in the coaching profession wants anything to do with him after the Warriors debacle.

Euro League
    Ettore Messina - He has the culture and gravity to really lead a team and understands the game at a really high level. He has deserved a shot for many years. One of the best coaches in the world.

Retired Players
    Chauncey Billups - He has toyed with being a coach or executive for the last few years. I have never really understood the fascination but he has a lot of supporters.
    Manu Ginobilli - Basketball is natural to him, he really has everything to succeed but it is a matter of him wanting to do it and getting a shot.

Keep in mind that some of the candidates the Rockets interview are likely being interviewed for possible offers as lead assistants or as an associate head coach.

This is a very important hire for the Rockets for a number of reasons.

*Also feel free to add or subtract candidates. I literally sat down and wrote down names off the top of my head while waiting for my doctor's appointment so I may have left someone out or misspelled someone's name.

IvanLCPM, SuperKev, s3ts and 61 others like this.
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I have to ask, how do you know so much about these people?

xtruroyaltyx, amaru, MC31B and 12 others like this.
  3. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Great post, thanks for sharing

Dacamel, Rudyc281 and raining threes like this.
  4. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

James Harden player coach. Save Tillman money to improve the team.

amaru and vick like this.
  5. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

If they don't bring someone who can be a boss to Harden, well yes.
    Someone said something about the culture building, I think that should be our priority as it would give us something to look for to the future

6. TimDuncanDonaut

This is a great write up. Not a nit pick, someone mentioned in another thread. JVG is coaching team USA.

Tristan_fiore likes this.
  7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Kenny, Chris, Stephen or Sam seem like the most likely hires if we don't go for a huge splash.

Thanks for sharing.

I was actually just thinking about Tony Parker as a potential HC last night, his English is better than most Americans and his feel for the game is high.

Will Hardy would be awesome as well.

I'm cool with any potential hire except Mark Jackson, Jason Kidd, or obviously Derek Fisher. I think they are all bad people and I don't want them near my team.

I'd love Rex Kalamian or Jarron Collins to join the staff whoever we hire. Both seem like guys suited to help advance the defense.

8. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Huge fan of Atkinson

MC31B, red5rocket, malakas and 2 others like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

That is a good point, yes JVG has coached team USA and he has remained close to the game as well.

YOLO and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

I thought about adding Tony Parker as well, I suspect he would be very good as a coach. I ultimately did not add him because I haven't ever heard anyone directly involved with the game claim he was likely to be a future coach.

11. Nook

Nook Member

I think he is probably one of the 2-3 most likely candidates if he doesn't get one of the other jobs first.

HP3, Deuce, Rudyc281 and 4 others like this.
  12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Imagine Russ and James winning a championship with the guy KD wouldn't even play for.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Just to prove I read your whole post, down to last sentence :)

it's Jay Larranaga => 5 A's

that's a lot of A's

don grahamleone and Nook like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

You know a lot of basketball.

Who do you want or not want?

What do you think the Rockets need?

15. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

no one wants a coach who might steal your girl. Sorry too easy.

Manu coaching Harden would be kinda crazy.

banzai, D-rock and AroundTheWorld like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

The reality is that Parker really early in his career wasn't the hardest worker (but that changed) and yes he stole a teammates girl. Still, Derek Fisher has gotten opportunities and Mark Jackson was doing all kinds of shady things.... God only knows what Don Nelson was up to as well.

17. raining threes

Who I would like to see hired in order, some of the guys you listed I have no idea who they are so I could be missing a great HC candidate.

1. Atkinson
    2. Hardy
    3. Messina
    4. JVG
    5. Finch

What's the story behind Erman and the Warriors debacle?

18. Nook

Nook Member

He was secretly recording conversations between coaches and players to send to the front office of the Warriors to catch Mark Jackson doing things he wasn't supposed to be doing.

19. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

He secretly recorded conversations of players, front office, and coaches. To what end, it's unclear.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...istant-fired-secretly-recording-conversations

D-rock, raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Maybe we can get silas

Rudyc281 likes this.