1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Tilman Really Willing to Pay Tax?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by D-rock, Aug 10, 2020.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

If I owned the team, I wouldn't pay the tax unless I knew I could add a major contributor by doing so. Les Alexander took the position of superstars only, but when you have a star core and smallish window, I would do it for role players... Tucker, Covington, Capela, Ariza (in his prime), Jerami Grant are all types that could be significant contributors. It's just so punitive that you better improve your team by doing it.

Having said that, it was obvious that not paying the tax last year ultimately hurt the team. I think the jury is still out on Tilman as to whether he'd be willing to do it. I don't consider it a great sign how many pieces he has pushed out there on the subject. Fans will believe him when he does it.

3. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Jerami Grant,
    yeah, feel the thrill to sign him next season.

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

Christian Wood, Ibaka, or Grant...somehow, someway, just get 1 of these guys and I’m good

5. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i'd be shocked if he did that. One of gordon or rivers should be gone next year. he'll probably let PJ walk too.

DeBeards likes this.
  6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Role players in this system are key. The key is length,& athleticism at the SF/PF flex spot, and the ability to hit the 3 at a high rate with those role players.

Right now the Rockets are performing with the anomaly of poor rebounding, but I think that'll be something they still need to improve on with offseason acquisitions.

This year the Rockets added Covington who is great, but they need at least two other "Flex" bigs who can matchup better. Right now they are showing what even one "Flex" big could do with Jeff Green... but keep in mind that there is a reason why Jeff Green was available for free. There was a reason why Bruno was free.

In the off-season when we need to go get a proven "flex" big like a Serge Ibaka, they will not be free, and Tillman will be forced to put up or shut up on paying the tax. I do NOT think the fans will or should give him a pass if he just relies on bargain basement deals for players that when proven, are high priced commodities.

*The Rockets also need to try and find a way to add back in Harden's pick and role threat when Russ is off the floor. It's really just a testament to Harden's greatness that you can take away the pick and role partner altogether and he'll still put up 40 in his sleep.

Nook, jcmoon and daywalker02 like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Raptors are not known as craptors no more because of their role players.

Their former role player Siakam rose to fame.

Van vleet turned a corner as defensive player as well.

saleem likes this.
  8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

no.

Eric Gordon will be traded with another asset for a lesser player on a lesser contract.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I see what Gordon does as a bit repetitive on this team though. The guy is shooting less than 32% this season from 3, doesn't attack the rim with consistency, and adds no length, athleticism, and little on the defensive end. In Harden or Westbrook's absence he can drop 30 but having better players at the "Flex" big positions consistently vs having Eric Gordon as an insurance policy to me makes some sense.

However if they dump Gordon, and then just sign bargain basement guys like Bruno I'd be pissed. EG should not be traded for salary cap relief only, and Tillman would officially lose the Rockets fans, and solidify his position as one of the worst NBA owners in the league. I'm already not a fan at all, but I'll rage if he trades EG for salary cap relief.

ak99999 and DeBeards like this.
  10. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

k
    Let's tank

11. jjc1

jjc1 Member

Covid is not going away soon. Next season will probably be played in the bubble again. Tillman will be cutting payroll, not adding, when revenue is declining. Forget about luxury tax. We will be trading a first round pick again to dump Eric Gordon.

Richie_Rich and J.R. like this.
  12. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

not that i agree, this is just what i think will happen. Someone's going to pay PJ at least 12 million a year. We're done without him.i just think tilman will try to replace him cheaply just like with ariza.

DeBeards likes this.
  13. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Tilman aint payin the luxury tax - cheap b*stard...

'whatever it takes...' - sure, Tilly.... smh...

ak99999, linvetb6 and DeBeards like this.
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The answer is no. Next.

icewill36 and linvetb6 like this.
  15. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

Lol i wish that was a yes but its a solid no.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

#16 D-rock, Aug 10, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  17. macan

macan Member

*** tilman cheap arse MFer.
    hope he sell the team to Elon Musk. Elon can move his spaceX to Houston and work with NASA.

ak99999 likes this.
  18. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Is this Comedy Central?

J.R. likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

EGo has had a bad season offensively but to disparage his defense is wrong.

He is at least the first or 2nd best perimeter defender on team and can defend the paint better than any guard on the team not named Harden.

Invisible Fan and jcmoon like this.
  20. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

He's not going to pay. Stop fooling yourselves.

icewill36, RocketsFido and J.R. like this.