1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[POLL] What's Morey's fate?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by alcatrazpsycho, Oct 7, 2019.

?

Daryl Morey will...

Poll closed Oct 10, 2019.
  1. be banned for life by Adam Silver from the NBA

1.3%
  2. be fired by Tilman Fertita

3.8%
  3. be forced to resign (made to appear by his own choice)

21.8%
  4. still be GM, but will be fired or resign mid-season or next offseason

7.7%
  5. continue to serve as Rockets' GM for multiple years to come

65.4%
  6. other (specify in comment)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. alcatrazpsycho

See poll; closes in 3 days.

Choices imply action prior to season opener, or early into season, unless otherwise specified.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

At this point with politicians on both sides getting involved, there's significant chance of American backlash if anything happens to Morey.

If the Rockets don't have a good season, this will probably play into him getting axed in the offseason though.

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

oh banned for life, no doubtaboutit :rolleyes:

4. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Americans like their free speech and don’t like to be told what to do. Morey will be protected at a high level. If he gets fired, he has a case for suing.

payaso, HP3, clutchdabear and 2 others like this.
  5. Aware

Aware Member

thank god the stros have an early game lol

edwardc, Gray_Jay and BigShasta like this.
  6. sheb

sheb Member

Remember Tilman bought the rockets on a loan
    Loosing all that China money is going to be hard to come back from

edwardc and alcatrazpsycho like this.
  7. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

What he said, especially the 2nd paragraph. I think Morey and Fertitta are wearing out their welcome with each other, and part of me is suspicious that Tillman is going to try and shoehorn his kid into the job.

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

I want to believe that this situation will get sorted and Morey will not be fired, but will be on the thinnest of ice

I think the league is tired of him tho...1st the ref audit, and now this

it’s 1 tweet...u gotta just move on eventually

China is acting like Morey flew down to Hong Kong a few days ago and was front row for these protests...this is truly unbelievable

9. bingfei236

bingfei236 Member

Now it’s out of control. Rox can’ t Fire DM and nba really needed this go away. No matter what ,position GM of any nba team is saying goodbye to DM forever.

10. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

He will be heavily reprimanded by the Rockets and the league. Maybe they will "unofficially" ban him from using social media for a while. Maybe a short suspension. Firing him would only make matters worst at this point. Have him go on the state owned media outlet and have him grovel and beg for forgiveness at this point. I just want this fiasco to go away.

HP3 likes this.
  11. alcatrazpsycho

I think he will step down, but his career in the NBA will be done as no other franchise will want to take on the risk.

And if he does step down, we'll probably have to endure more "City Edition" jerseys than ever before.

God, I hope I am wrong.

"Those would give up essential Liberty, to receive a crap ton of money, deserve neither Liberty nor money." - Not Benjamin Franklin

edwardc likes this.
  12. alcatrazpsycho

Agreed. A bunch of equity is at risk and the recession hasn't even started yet!

13. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I read a comment elsewhere that made a lot of sense. Morey is heavily invested and interested in esports. I think there's a lot more room there for him to build influence and challenge himself, than there is in the NBA. A lot of what made Morey unique in the NBA is over now: every team that wants to win has an analytics department, everyone shoots a ton of 3s, nobody wants to trade with Morey anymore, unless the Rox are dumping salary or exchanging one headache for another.

I can see him thinking, "Why am I stuck here, labouring for this low rent P.T. Barnum and Trump wannabe? He has handcuffed my personnel moves, will not shut up and let me do my job, and I've already built this team. Whether they win a chip or not; it's out of my hands." Why not go somewhere else and make my mark on something they may supplant the NBA one day?"

Just how I see it.

alcatrazpsycho likes this.
  14. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Whether he's our GM for multiple years to come or a shorter period (fired next offseason or the offseason after) will largely depend on how the team performs.

When this initially came out I didn't think he would be fired and based on public response and the NBA's "We're deeply sorry your offended, Daryl doesn't represent us collectively at all, but he is allowed to say it" response I'm nearly certain that's the case.

However, he's almost certainly going to have much less runway now if the team performs poorly.

mightybosstone likes this.
  15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I "Hope" this doesn't lead to anything …. that Morey sticks around as Rockets GM for another 10+ years.

Gray_Jay, HP3 and alcatrazpsycho like this.
  16. mightybosstone

This. Morey has a right to say what he said, and frankly, if it hadn't been Morey, some other player or front office person would have tweeted something about China at some point that would have led to this kind of backlash. That being said, he probably should have known the repercussions of that tweet before he sent it, and he'll probably be on a shorter leash in terms of his social media presence and the team's performance moving forward.

HP3 likes this.
  17. leeallen

leeallen Contributing Member

Please don't fire DM. I love the Rockets and he is one big part of it.
    He is just speaking his mind even though I am tired of the violence.

Just let the issue cool down. Don't fuel the fire.

If the Chinese ban the games, just be it.

HP3 likes this.
  18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Glad to see SIlver came out today in support of Morey.

Chamillionaire likes this.
  19. payaso

payaso Member

20. alcatrazpsycho

Congrats to the 6 voters that got it right! Lock it up! :)

BamBam likes this.